love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 223121 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »
My dentist says he doesn't listen to Filmspotting anymore because they are too snobby and don't watch enough of the bigger releases he actually goes to see in the theatre.

which is exactly what makes it the best film podcast. :D

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »
My dentist says he doesn't listen to Filmspotting anymore because they are too snobby and don't watch enough of the bigger releases he actually goes to see in the theatre.

Not really, and this isn't a comment on the podcast at all, but there shouldn't be a line between mainstream and indie, there should simply be movies reviewed.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »

Not really, and this isn't a comment on the podcast at all, but there shouldn't be a line between mainstream and indie, there should simply be movies reviewed.

there are dozens of podcasts/newspapers/tv shows that review mainstream film. That is what makes FS important and necessary.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2010, 01:48:37 PM »

there are dozens of podcasts/newspapers/tv shows that review mainstream film. That is what makes FS important and necessary.

Once again, not really, maybe for you, maybe for me. When looking for movie podcasts I am looking for ones that simply review movies, I don't want them taking into account whether a film is mainstream or indie, because if they do that then they are already putting forth a bias and I can't rely on their review. I don't believe FS does this, which is why I don't think FS is a niche podcast, they review movies, some are mainstream, some are indie, but they review movies because they are movies, not the label that has been attached to them.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2010, 02:51:30 PM »

Once again, not really, maybe for you, maybe for me. When looking for movie podcasts I am looking for ones that simply review movies, I don't want them taking into account whether a film is mainstream or indie, because if they do that then they are already putting forth a bias and I can't rely on their review. I don't believe FS does this, which is why I don't think FS is a niche podcast, they review movies, some are mainstream, some are indie, but they review movies because they are movies, not the label that has been attached to them.

But different people are interested in different movies.  And if a podcast or whatever just reviews "movies in general" then they tend to gravitate toward the blockbusters, which is fine, but one review of those is sufficient.  I like Filmspotting not because they are "snobbish", but because they review films that aren't as well known, whether it be indie, foreign or before Star Wars.  It is about broadening the scope of movies reviewed.  And if that's "snobbish", so be it.

Okay, when they do review big movies, they may have a tendency to not like it, but they don't slam it.  They just explain what they consider the weaknesses and the strengths-- the latest Mel Gibson review is a good example of this.  And if they tend to not care for big movies-- like, say, Avatar-- they are just expressing their opinion.  I don't always agree with that opinion about the movie as a whole, but their points are well taken. 

For me, I'm less interested in hearing or reading a review that I agree with, so much as it is intelligent.  Which is why I don't listen or read the far majority of movie reviews out there.  Also because I tend to only focus on one or two reviewers.  I don't have time for more.  So out of the many reviewers I've listened to or read, my choice is clear: Adam and Matty. 

I also really like Watching Theology, but they have so many spoilers, it's really an analysis, not a review. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »
Well-put, steve.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2010, 01:07:15 AM »
And so it has come to this. Me and another guy on the forum ;) have started a podcast. The first episode is now up for download, and will hopefully be up soon on iTunes. 1SO and I elected to steal the forum-created name Movie Dictator Club. We hope you won't hold it against us. This pilot episode is a little rough, and we certainly hope to improve on style and flow of the conversation. If you've got any tips or recommendations or any feedback of any sort just let us know on the boards or send us an email to moviedictatorclub@gmail.com.

Go here, or here to download/listen to it.

It ain't no Filmspotting, but we're gonna give it our best go.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2010, 01:52:51 AM »
And so it has come to this. Me and another guy on the forum ;) have started a podcast. The first episode is now up for download, and will hopefully be up soon on iTunes. 1SO and I elected to steal the forum-created name Movie Dictator Club. We hope you won't hold it against us. This pilot episode is a little rough, and we certainly hope to improve on style and flow of the conversation. If you've got any tips or recommendations or any feedback of any sort just let us know on the boards or send us an email to moviedictatorclub@gmail.com.

Can't wait to hear it.  I'll download it now.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2010, 03:00:23 AM »
I actually agree with Bill in that I find the distinction rather uninteresting. Once you shut off a movie because of how it's categorized, you're basically being a snob(which is irrelevant to Filmspotting, because they don't do that anyway), and Art can be found in whatever status of movie or particular brow a movie belongs to. And once you don't review movies because everybody else reviews it, you're basically saying your perspective doesn't really mean anything, and your only value is to chime in on films that have been less seen. And hasn't specialty film journals of the last, oh, 50 years or so taught us that mainstream film can be interpreted and received in a myriad of different ways? Why do we only "need" one review of a Big Movie?
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

bb6634

« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2010, 03:00:48 AM »

Very cool!  Can't wait to listen! And congrats on the podcast!

love