love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 223153 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2010, 03:50:08 AM »
I actually agree with Bill in that I find the distinction rather uninteresting. Once you shut off a movie because of how it's categorized, you're basically being a snob(which is irrelevant to Filmspotting, because they don't do that anyway), and Art can be found in whatever status of movie or particular brow a movie belongs to. And once you don't review movies because everybody else reviews it, you're basically saying your perspective doesn't really mean anything, and your only value is to chime in on films that have been less seen. And hasn't specialty film journals of the last, oh, 50 years or so taught us that mainstream film can be interpreted and received in a myriad of different ways? Why do we only "need" one review of a Big Movie?

We certainly don't need only one review of any movie.  (Except Transformers 2)  But often there needs to be time to give perspective and to appreciate the depth of a film.  And also I'd prefer to hear someone's take on a film because they were interested in seeing it, not because some distribution company paid their boss who pays them to watch it and review it.  If someone reviews a movie more than a year old, it's more likely to be an honest, thoughtful opinion.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2010, 04:51:33 AM »
And so it has come to this. Me and another guy on the forum ;) have started a podcast. The first episode is now up for download, and will hopefully be up soon on iTunes. 1SO and I elected to steal the forum-created name Movie Dictator Club. We hope you won't hold it against us. This pilot episode is a little rough, and we certainly hope to improve on style and flow of the conversation. If you've got any tips or recommendations or any feedback of any sort just let us know on the boards or send us an email to moviedictatorclub@gmail.com.

Go here, or here to download/listen to it.

It ain't no Filmspotting, but we're gonna give it our best go.

Good luck FroHam! I look forward to checking this out on the way to work this week. Perhaps I should get one of my classes to review the podcast next week and I can give you their feedback ;)
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2010, 07:57:48 AM »
And so it has come to this. Me and another guy on the forum ;) have started a podcast. The first episode is now up for download, and will hopefully be up soon on iTunes. 1SO and I elected to steal the forum-created name Movie Dictator Club. We hope you won't hold it against us. This pilot episode is a little rough, and we certainly hope to improve on style and flow of the conversation. If you've got any tips or recommendations or any feedback of any sort just let us know on the boards or send us an email to moviedictatorclub@gmail.com.

Ohh, Dracula (1992). Look forward to hearing this one.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »
Thanks guys. And if you do have feedback, so as not to clog up the forum any more just send it all to that email address. movieductatorclub@gmail.com
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2010, 10:13:56 AM »

Looking forward to checking this out!

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2010, 02:52:56 PM »
The second episode of The Movie Dictator Club is up. Both Chuck and I consider this episode a step down in quality, which is unfortunate. There are some audio issues, and the main review of The Devil's Backbone didn't inspire the kind of discussion we were hoping for. It's still alright, and the second half is generally better, where we get to talk about a bunch of other movies. Anyway, check it out if you're interested. And we also promise a better 3rd episode. It's already recorded and we both felt it was much better.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »
Looking forward to catching up with this one. Maybe late tonight. Hope this gets more traffic to the website. Just needs more new content now. I should work on that.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »
hey FroHam - great first podcast! Congratulations.

I listened to the first episode with my students and they dissected it and came up with a whole list of things they liked and disliked about the podcast - I have emailed it to you. They liked the majority of it, and made some good suggestions for you.

Who couldn't love Brotherhood of the Wolf - a costume drama, period, king fu, monster, werewolf film ;)

Will check out Wolfen when I find it.

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »
You listened with your students? Wow. I feel honoured.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2010, 11:57:30 PM »
Who couldn't love Brotherhood of the Wolf - a costume drama, period, king fu, monster, werewolf film ;)
That's what I say.  Can't wait to revisit it in my Top 100 Marathon.