love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 222886 times)

Adrienne

Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #390 on: September 16, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »
For the Anglophiles, I know there's simply TONS of you out there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/country

Subscribed!
Why do you love us so? Not that I'm complaining mind!

Adrienne

« Reply #391 on: September 16, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »
Oooh
This one looks good too, just subscribed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/mhistory

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #392 on: September 16, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
For the Anglophiles, I know there's simply TONS of you out there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/country

Subscribed!
Why do you love us so? Not that I'm complaining mind!
Why is the sky blue? Why do birds sing? :) I don't know really; it's just always been so. It probably has something to do with my grandmother, whom I adored, and who was an Anglophile herself (in a very quiet, unobtrusive, unAmerican? :) way) , and also something to do with the fact that my very favorite books from an early age were British. I just fell in love with British English and the kinds of British sensibilities I became familiar with in those books.

Oooh
This one looks good too, just subscribed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/mhistory
That looks good, too - thanks!

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #393 on: September 16, 2010, 10:13:58 PM »
Wiretap from CBC Radio with Johnathan Goldstein who occasionally appears on This American Life

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #394 on: September 22, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »
Episode 2 is here, episode 2 is here!

We talk about the top 5 tv shows from our childhood and also a bit about Boardwalk Empire, The Event, Lone Star, and Around the Horn/PTI.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkCrystal

« Reply #395 on: October 21, 2010, 04:40:32 PM »
Wow...I didn't even realize there was an entire 27 page thread solely dedicated to podcasts on here.  Good god almighty haha...podcasts are both my greatest love since finally joining the 21st century and purchasing an mp3 player back in early 2009 (Zune, 120 gb...love it!)...and also the bane of my existence, as I find myself often listening to so many, or wanting to catch up and listen to new ones, that I legitimately start getting stressed out about the sheer number of options and wonderful ways to learn through these things.  

I try to keep things at about 2-3 podcasts only per interest, here's my current lineup:

-Filmspotting  -  Film
-Kevin Pollack Chat Show  -  Film / comedy / tv...great, lengthy, 1:30 - 2 hr interviews...goes into deal depth with all his guests
-The Moth  -  Storytelling...live shows from different US cities, usually unknown's or very minor celebrities
-News From Lake Wobegone - Storytelling  (thankfully this only has Garrison Keiller's stories, not the entire Prarie Home Companion show)
-Selected Shorts  -  Readings of short stories by well known authors
-Radiolab  - Philosophy / science / exploring questions about how-why the world around us works
-This American Life  - Ira Glass hosts, great non sequitur stories/coverage on a range of topics
-Speaking of Faith w. Krista Tippett  - Great show exploring comparative religion, guest speakers and leaders from various faiths
-Bill Simmons' BS Report  -  Sports...my bball candy from Oct. - June
-Dan Patrick Show  -  Sports...truly a great mix of laugh out loud funny and insightful, great, witty interviews
-ESPN's NBA Today  -  The host, Ryan Russilo, makes this show amazing, great to compare his vs. B. Simmon's style

Others I've just started to check out (thanks to OneAprilDay for the recommendations!):

-Left Field Cinema - Mike Dawson
-The Treatment - Elvis Mitchell
-Slate's Movie Reviews

...and I'm always back and forth on Creative Screenwriting.  I read the majority of their magazine output back in the mid to late 90's, and I owe them a huge debt of gratitude as it had a lot to do with getting me into film.  That said, Jeff Goldsmith is just bloody awful as host/interviewer, and I really can't stand listening to him...but often it is well worth it because his guests are amazing and they really open up in his interviews, no matter how bad Goldsmith can be.  The interview with Sarah Polly about the making of Away From Her and her career was phenomenal, and is what originally got me to listen to more.  

Also just found out (thanks again OAD!) that some Filmspotters on here started one called the Movie Dictator Podcast , and I look forward to checking it out.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:45:08 PM by DarkCrystal »

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #396 on: October 21, 2010, 04:57:22 PM »
The Movie Dictator Club Podcast was highly overrated.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #397 on: October 21, 2010, 05:04:15 PM »
-ESPN's NBA Today  -  The host, Ryan Russilo, makes this show amazing, great to compare his vs. B. Simmon's style

I really, really like Russilo. He's head and shoulders above any of the other ESPN basketball guys in my book. The other NBA podcasts I listen to are Free Darko Presents: Disciples of Clyde, the Basketball Jones, and sometimes the NBA.com Hang Time podcast.

DarkCrystal

« Reply #398 on: October 21, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »

Totally with you on Russilo...he's got that rare combo of: incredibly intelligent insight + a naturally entertaining and engaging personality.  And he's just a bball dork at heart that is obsessed...I can't get enough.  He just posted his first in four months if you haven't heard it yet JBissell...Eastern and Western Conference predictions with two Truehoop guys (Arnovitz and a 2nd I didnt know).

I love the Free-Darko website, but in trying 2-3 of their podcasts, couldn't stand them at all.  Maybe I just heard some bad apples though.

Basketball Jones I just started getting into more via their website content, but I didn't even realize they had a podcast until you mentioned it.  Looks like their last update was 2/26/10 though, so you know if they will be re-upping for this season?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #399 on: October 21, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »
Thanks for listing those DC. I'm definitely going to check a few of them out (Kevin Pollack Chat Show & Radiolab).