Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 222814 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #500 on: January 09, 2011, 09:38:52 AM »
A little late on the Movie Dictator. Other than the recent special audio feature it hasn't been updated since early Summer.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #501 on: January 09, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »
Just a load of football and sports based podcasts. Others include stuff like

Filmspotting (although I do need to catch up on a few episodes)
Kermode Film Reviews (usually watch the live stream)
Film Weekly
The Film Programme
The Treatment (amongst other KCRW podcasts)
Sound Opinions
Excess Baggage
Front Row Highlights

I always try listen to podcasts as a secondary function, like if I'm working, travelling in the car, exercising etc.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #502 on: January 09, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
, like if I'm working, travelling in the car, exercising etc.

Can you work and listen to Podcasts at the same time?  I listen to them anytime but work since I can not pay attention to people talking at the same time I am trying to read emails, answer emails, analyze data, work on PowerPoint, etc.  At work I put on music where it is easy to not concentrate and I won't have to rewind and go back to what they hell I ignored while I was concentrating on something else.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #503 on: January 09, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »
I listen to them while I do work all the time.  I do lab research.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #504 on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:08 AM »
I find listening to podcasts, while i'm working helps me concentrate, funny as it may seem. It cuts out a lot of the office chatter, which i'm not really interested in anyway. If I was to listen to music I would get distracted from my work, but listening to podcasts, gives me something to listen to, but is not too intrusive that I cannot concentrate on my work. Podcasts or jazz that's the way to go. Miles Davis 'A Kind Of Blue' or 'Sketches Of Spain' are highly recommended.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

Mosca

« Reply #505 on: January 09, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »
A little late on the Movie Dictator. Other than the recent special audio feature it hasn't been updated since early Summer.
Well, hurry up and update it then!  :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #506 on: January 09, 2011, 01:20:59 PM »
Well, hurry up and update it then!  :)
Yea, Corey!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #507 on: January 10, 2011, 01:48:23 AM »
I find listening to podcasts, while i'm working helps me concentrate, funny as it may seem. It cuts out a lot of the office chatter, which i'm not really interested in anyway. If I was to listen to music I would get distracted from my work, but listening to podcasts, gives me something to listen to, but is not too intrusive that I cannot concentrate on my work. Podcasts or jazz that's the way to go. Miles Davis 'A Kind Of Blue' or 'Sketches Of Spain' are highly recommended.

I listen to music to cut out the office chatter, mostly due to the group on the cube opposite me that are on the phones all day long due to their job.  I just can't do the podcasts as I can not concentrate on what they are talking about as well as concentrate on my work.  I might just start typing what ever crazy thing Marc Marron is talking about in my email.

But your music choices are spot on... :)
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkCrystal

« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2011, 02:12:10 AM »
WTF/Marc Maron - Wow...thanks everyone for the recommendation on this podcast!  Just heard the two part Louis CK episode...TOTALLY different than what I expected.  I've known Maron before from some of his standup, and a few Youtube interviews from his Air America show he did (one with Chuck Klosterman is how I initially found out about the guy).  But I did not expect the format of the comedy interviews to be as raw, bare, emotionally honest, forthright, and "walls down", for lack of a better word.  A huge breath of fresh air as far as interview shows go...and here I was thinking this was going to be yet another hipster/way-too-ironic/too-snarky podcast...the surprise in the opposite direction = great.  Was kind of like a Kevin Pollack Chat Show...for comedians...but with a level of emotional honesty that makes it different.

BB6634 - I think you were the one that recommended the Risk podcast a few pages back.  I'm a huge fan of The Moth, SpeakEasy DC, Tales from Lake Wobegon, and recently The Tobolowsky Files, and Risk sounded great, like a dirtier, raunchier, uncut version of all the above.  Downloaded two of them...and have to say, so far I'm a bit disappointed.  But I'm not giving up quite yet...are there are episodes in particular you remember as standouts that you'd recommend trying out?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:25:49 AM by DarkCrystal »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
WTF/Marc Maron - Wow...thanks everyone for the recommendation on this podcast!  Just heard the two part Louis CK episode...TOTALLY different than what I expected.  I've known Maron before from some of his standup, and a few Youtube interviews from his Air America show he did (one with Chuck Klosterman is how I initially found out about the guy).  But I did not expect the format of the comedy interviews to be as raw, bare, emotionally honest, forthright, and "walls down", for lack of a better word.  A huge breath of fresh air as far as interview shows go...and here I was thinking this was going to be yet another hipster/way-too-ironic/too-snarky podcast...the surprise in the opposite direction = great.  Was kind of like a Kevin Pollack Chat Show...for comedians...but with a level of emotional honesty that makes it different.

I never had heard his comedy before or even have heard of him before (nor Louis CK for that fact) but after hearing about his Podcast from enough people around here I decided to listen.  I think they are some of the best, most interesting interviews I have ever listened to