love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 223010 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #860 on: August 17, 2011, 11:23:07 PM »
I decided to just cut out nearly all episodes during Al's run and get to the more recent stuff quicker. I did listen to an episode on offbeat westerns because they were discussing El Topo (* * * *) and Blueberry (* *), and there was Al, "It was terrible, that's why I liked it."

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #861 on: August 22, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
work and roujin

Another thing I just remembered, you mentioned wanting to seek out other Korean cinema from early on towards the end of your podcast.  I haven't seen many but did see a restored version of the 1960 Housemaid last year at a film society showing:

It is worth checking out.  I am not sure if they meant it to have as much humor as the crowd that it was at parts or if it was just a reaction to something done in a different time but still a good psychological thriller. 

There is a 2010 version as well which changes around some of the plot elements but I still enjoyed quite a bit but I know many have been split on it.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #862 on: August 22, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
A good earlier Korean film is Obaltan (Stray Bullet).

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #863 on: August 22, 2011, 11:15:49 PM »
I haven't seen many but did see a restored version of the 1960 Housemaid last year at a film society showing:

For the S. Korea episode, we discussed maybe doing a double feature of these movies. Still want to see them a lot, of course.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #864 on: August 27, 2011, 08:41:04 PM »
New subscription: The Todd Glass Show.  I'm so happy this is happening.  I know a lot of people can't stand Todd Glass, but I find him so endearing.

New subscription: Totally Laime.  As discovered on Earwolf Challenge.  The jury's still out on this one.  Elizabeth & Andy have a fun, casual style but this might get boring fast.

Unsubscribed: Comedy and Everything Else and The Nerdist.  When you only end up listening to 1 out of 10 episodes, it's time to cut bait.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #865 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »
New subscription: Totally Laime.  As discovered on Earwolf Challenge.  The jury's still out on this one.  Elizabeth & Andy have a fun, casual style but this might get boring fast.
I've been enjoying it for the last couple of months - it is a very casual style, so I'm always surprised to find myself so engaged, but I am still, quite consistently.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #866 on: August 27, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on The Todd Glass Show, Martin! I'll definitely be checking that out. Also, good on you for giving up on Comedy and Everything Else. So much misinformed, self-obsessed hatespawn.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #867 on: August 27, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
I love Todd Glass when there's somebody to make fun of him. Jimmy Pardo does it best.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #868 on: August 27, 2011, 10:26:08 PM »
I live to hear Jimmy Pardo say, "Idiot."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #869 on: August 27, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »
Jimmy Pardo does it best.

This statement is pretty much true of everything. He needs a late night talk show.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."