Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 223128 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #890 on: September 08, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
Well I listened to that Comedy Bang Bang episode you mentioned, Junior. Gah, that was soooo funny! Yes to laughing to the point of tears. :) Any other episodes come to mind as your guys' favourites? I need more of that!

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Aukerman's hosting.
I liked him well enough. I don't know that he generated many of the laughs out of me but at the same time he was never an interference or anything. He keeps the show moving along pretty well, though it did take a little while to get going. I enjoyed when he got in on the act and the fact he rarely kept a straight face made me laugh probably more than anything he said. :)

I listened to the Amy Poehler episode of WTF w/ Marc Maron. A decent episode with some interesting anecdotes about being on SNL. She's not my favourite on the show but Maron rarely has female guests and I was looking for a change up.

I've gotten back into Doug Loves Movies. I'd never heard Garfunkel and Oates before so that was fun. Like someone else said before, musical comedy shticks are usually my think but they were better than average.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #891 on: September 08, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
Well I listened to that Comedy Bang Bang episode you mentioned, Junior. Gah, that was soooo funny! Yes to laughing to the point of tears. :) Any other episodes come to mind as your guys' favourites? I need more of that!

Honestly, I've listened to every episode and have enjoyed every one.  Pretty much any episode with Paul F. Tompkins, James Adomian or Brett Gelman is gold.  Although it helps to listen in order, because there are recurring characters/stories.  For example, episode 35 (with the "iBrain" story) is a classic that kicks off a long-standing animosity between Gelman and Aukerman.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #892 on: September 08, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »
Good to know, thanks!

EricWHMPodcast

• We Hate Movies!
« Reply #893 on: September 09, 2011, 09:18:55 AM »
Good for you guys bringing in Tobo :) I've got to catch up with some eps. I like podcasts that talk about bad 90's flicks :)

Is there any way to download your podcast without itunes?

Not sure. I am not the tech guy. I will ask, and if not we will try to soon provide that! You could stream it off our site as an alternative to iTunes.

Also: Our nearly 50 minute chat with Stephen Tobolowsky is now up: http://www.whmpodcast.com/2011/09/stephen-tobolowsky-whm-interview.html

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #894 on: September 09, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
Been checking out Battleship Pretension.  One of the first episodes I heard they were complaining about someone complaining about guests on their show.  It seems that they spent a long time about one complaint.  Now I find that I agree with the original complainer-- simply because their movie/TV talk is really interesting and when a guest is on that talk is reduced considerably.  I am now only downloading the episodes without guests. 

I've tried The AuteurCast.  The first couple episodes seemed pretty lame.  They were focusing on Tarantino, but all they seemed to do is discuss plot points.  Umm, I've seen the films.  I don't need to rehearse them.  Perhaps there's more insight in later episodes, but it's not looking good.

Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo are really entertaining.  I don't know that they have a lot of insight, it's more typical movie reviews you might get when you haven't seen the movie.  But I'll probably keep listening just because it's fun.  I won't listen very often, though.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #895 on: September 09, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »
Been checking out Battleship Pretension.  One of the first episodes I heard they were complaining about someone complaining about guests on their show.  It seems that they spent a long time about one complaint.  Now I find that I agree with the original complainer-- simply because their movie/TV talk is really interesting and when a guest is on that talk is reduced considerably.  I am now only downloading the episodes without guests.

I don't mind the guest eps but agree that the show becomes considerably less insightful in terms of the film discussion when they're there. I mean the guests are usually only casual film fans. There are two guest episodes in particular that I remember really enjoying though. The Laraine Newman one, she's a voice actor and gives you a ton of insight into that world. Great guest. And going way back to episode 41, with Wyatt Cenac. He's a comedian but that episode stands out in my mind as just being way funny. Just thought I'd mention them.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #896 on: September 09, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »
Any other episodes come to mind as your guys' favourites?
Live from Vancouver - I was there!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #897 on: September 09, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
Live from Vancouver - I was there!
Haha, awesome! Can you hear yourself laugh?

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #898 on: September 09, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »

Any episode featuring Ice-PFT and/or "Huell Howser."

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #899 on: September 09, 2011, 02:09:53 PM »
Yeah, Huell Howser is why I recommended the Adomian episodes.  There's one utterly insane episode with PFT, Adomian, Tig Notaro, Reggie Watts, Andy Daly, Paul Scheer and Nick Kroll.  Episode #103.  Absolutely batshit crazy.