Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 222883 times)

Wilson

• Elite Member
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »
Smodcast

I saw this and was really intrigued, but knew no one who listened to it. I'll give it a try.

It's basically just Kevin Smith talking bullshit for an hour with Mosier being his foil, but if like Smith's humour it's great.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:01:22 AM »
I listen to hundreds of podcasts and audiobooks. It got real bad when universities started putting out recorded lectures.

I'll try to leave off ones already mentioned (This American Life, The Treatment, On the Media, Fresh Air, etc.).

Alter Ego Comicast
Audition
CNET News Daily
CNET Buzz Out Loud
CNET's The Real Deal
Comic Pants
Coverville
Denver Post's Lyrics Uncovered
Despair, Inc. Podcast
Everything Acting
Filmcouch (Spout.com's podcast)
Flight of the Conchords podcast
Grammar Girl
IFC Podcast
Kasper Hauser Comedy Podcast
KCRW's The Business
KCRW's Martini Shot
KUT: Radio without Borders
Le Show
Mars Hill Church Audio
Museum of the Moving Image Podcast
Music by Beth Caucci
Negotiating Tip of the Week
New York Times Music Popcast
North Texas News and Commentary
NPR's Piano Jazz
Project Managers Podcast (two different ones)
The Ricky Gervais Podcast
Slate Magazine Daily Podcast
They Might Be Giants Podcast
TriggerStreet TV
UChannel University Podcast (plus a lot of complete courses)

Plus I regularly download .mp3s from Aquarium Drunkard and Gorilla vs. Bear
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:19:56 AM by m_rturnage »
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

secondcitywolverine

• It Stinks!
    • Dad's Secret Stash
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 12:18:27 PM »
WHOA! How do you have enough time to listen to all of these? Thanks for the list, I'm going to check these out.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 12:57:33 PM »
WHOA! How do you have enough time to listen to all of these? Thanks for the list, I'm going to check these out.

For the most part I don't, or just barely scrape by.

On my main desktop computer, I have something like 250 unlistened to podcasts (most of them entire semesters of audio from Princeton/Harvard/Berkeley courses). On my work laptop, I have about 60 unlistened to podcasts (most of them tech/project management related), and on my personal laptop I have about 125 unlistened to podcasts (however, most of them are video podcasts like Mahalo Daily, Rocketboom, and Triggerstreet TV).

I do a lot of travel for my job and do a lot of listening on airplanes. I also do a lot of tech gruntwork that doesn't require what we call "thought" (for example, today all I'm doing is reformatting huge chunks of data for this database I designed, so all I'm doing is running Excel spreadsheets through a reformatting script). This is perfect for audiobooks and podcasts. Last summer when I was doing a lot of travel, I was averaging 4 to 5 hours of audiobooks/podcasts a day plus one DVD/movie-in-a-theater each evening, five days a week. The weekends were totally devoted to the wife, so no iPods or movies were allowed.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 07:10:05 PM »
Polyamory Weekly - "Tales from the front of responsible non-monogamy from a pansexual, kink-friendly point of view".

Even if you don't think you are interested in any of the categories above, it is a good 'cast for general relationship issues.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Scalzo

• Scotch, scotch, scotch...I love scotch!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
APM's Marketplace
Adam Carolla Show
Real Time w/ Bill Maher
Meet The Press
SModcast
NPR's Wait, Wait Dont Tell Me
MLB's Fantasy 411
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 08:25:07 PM by Scalzo »
"Don't act like you're not impressed."

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »
Polyamory Weekly - "Tales from the front of responsible non-monogamy from a pansexual, kink-friendly point of view".

Even if you don't think you are interested in any of the categories above, it is a good 'cast for general relationship issues.

This reminds me that I do also listen to the Savage Love podcast (I already deleted this week's episode off the iPod when I wrote the above list).

Nominally,it is a sex podcast, but more often than not it is a podcast about relationships. Plus he says some really funny things about people who overuse trendy buzz words like "Polyamory."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:19:21 AM by m_rturnage »

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 08:54:15 PM »

This reminds me that I do also listen to the Savage Love podcast (O already deleted this week's episode off the iPod when I wrote the above list).

Nominally,it is a sex podcast, but more often than not it is a podcast about relationships. Plus he says some really funny things about people who overuse trendy buzz words like "Polyamory."

what's that supposed to mean?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Aaron

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 09:49:53 PM »
I subscribe to only audio podcasts since I'm limited to a Nano at the moment, but these are the audio ones I listen to regularly:

Book Panel with Simon Mayo - Simon and 2-3 readers review a couple of newly published books each week, and often have the authors in on the discussion

Daily Mayo - Simon Mayo again (he's a fantastic host/interviewer) - interviews with authors to politicians to film stars

KCRW's The Treatment - Elvis Mitchell is one of the best interviewers I've ever heard

Mark Kermode film reviews (of course!)

NPR: Movies

NPR: Fresh Air

This American Life

The Observer Film Weekly - UK podcast, reviews current releases and often has interviews with actors/directors

The Film Programme - another UK film podcast

Slate's Spoiler Specials - Slate's film critic Dana Stevens talks over a film with a guest

Watching the Directors - nice, long (1+ hour) conversations featuring various directors and their bodies of work

White Horse Inn - theology talks broadcast from my husband's alma mater

NPR: Car Talk's Call of the Week
I have a bit of a problem with Elvis and his interview style, but he gets some really good people.  I also hate how he constantly annouces the call letters to his station every two minutes.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 09:58:27 PM »
I have a bit of a problem with Elvis and his interview style, but he gets some really good people.  I also hate how he constantly annouces the call letters to his station every two minutes.

Yeah, he gets great people in. It is annoying that he announces the call letters - I don't blame him for that though; I'm sure he has to do it. Interesting that you don't like his interview style; I like it because he seems to me so genuinely interested in the person across from him - the questions and flow of conversation seem natural, not at all stagey. I like that.