Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 223125 times)

Aaron

Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »
Hola
Nice to hear from you!

Elvis did get me to see The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which was pure art

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 10:04:40 PM »
Hola
Nice to hear from you!

Elvis did get me to see The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which was pure art

That was a great interview with Julian Schnabel, wasn't it?! Diving Bell is still not here yet, so I haven't been able to see it - arrgh - not coming til the end of Feb., I think.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 11:39:17 PM »
Polyamory Weekly - "Tales from the front of responsible non-monogamy from a pansexual, kink-friendly point of view".

Even if you don't think you are interested in any of the categories above, it is a good 'cast for general relationship issues.

This reminds me that I do also listen to the Savage Love podcast (O already deleted this week's episode off the iPod when I wrote the above list).

Nominally,it is a sex podcast, but more often than not it is a podcast about relationships. Plus he says some really funny things about people who overuse trendy buzz words like "Polyamory."

what's that supposed to mean?

I was referring to a recent Savage Love podcast where someone called in and with a question where she used the word "Polyamory" about every other word. Her question went something like, "I'm in a polyamory relationship and I'm new to polyamory, but I've always been polyamory and my non-polyamory friends don't get my polyamory and I don't know how to make my non-polyamory friends deal with my polyamoryousness and they should just deal because I'm polyamory and I'm in a polyamory relationship and that is the way it is going to be but what should I do becuase this couple I'm in a polyamory relationship has only been polyamory for a short time and they're weirding me out a little."

And Dan Savage responded with some quip about "polyamory tourettes" and went on about how everyone who discovers something new about him/herself for the first time can't help saying what that is every other sentence. And then I believe he said something about "polyamory" being the new black. I can't remember it exactly, but I laughed a lot when I heard it.

I'm summarizing what was said on the podcast, but basically Dan Savage turned the word "polyamory" into a punch line for me.

No offense was intended towards you or your podcast. I just really like Dan Savage.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

secondcitywolverine

• It Stinks!
    • Dad's Secret Stash
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 07:52:57 AM »
I'm in a polyamory relationship and I'm new to polyamory, but I've always been polyamory and my non-polyamory friends don't get my polyamory and I don't know how to make my non-polyamory friends deal with my polyamoryousness and they should just deal because I'm polyamory and I'm in a polyamory relationship and that is the way it is going to be but what should I do becuase this couple I'm in a polyamory relationship has only been polyamory for a short time and they're weirding me out a little.

One of the funniest things I've ever read.  :D

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 09:28:49 AM »
Best non-Filmspotting podcast: Geeks On. I'm amazed no one's listed it yet. It's unfortunately irregular (sometimes a month gap between episodes, sometimes a week), but it's great. The most recent episode is one on AI and robots with guests Lisa Lassek (editor, Firefly, Serenity, and a bunch of other stuff) and Joss Whedon. Check it out.

Also:
Ask a Ninja
Cranky Geeks
The Definitive Word - Brits discuss various topics. Most recent is abortion.
Filmed but not forgotten - A Canadian cinephile reviews lesser known films
Galactica Watercooler - fans discuss Battlestar
KCRW's The Business - Interviews and talk about the business of Hollywood
KCRW's The Treatment
Left Field Cinema - Quick reviews of more obscure films
Mark Kermode's film reviews
Movies you should see
Mugglecast - College students talk Potter
Never Not Funny
Official BSG podcast - RDM commentary
...or do you think that's just bullocks - Rants from the Brit hosts and listeners
Pottercast - Harry Potter talk, with interviews (including one with Jo Rowling)
Slice of Sci-fi - sci-fi tv and film talk, with interviews
SModcast
The Totally Rad Show - TV, gaming, and film talk
Watch It television podcast - Canucks talk TV
The Watchercast - sporadic Buffy podcast, reviewing an episode at a time

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 11:05:37 AM »
I also hate how he constantly announces the call letters to his station every two minutes.

I believe this is part of the FCC regulation to make a station announcement every few minutes so people will know what station they are on.  Most radio shows do this, especially the long form shows.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »
APM Sound Opinions
IFC News Podcast
Kermode
KCRW The Treatment
NBC Meet the Press
NPR Books
NPR Environment
NPR Health and Science
NPR It's All Politics
NPR Movies
NPR Pop Culture
NPR Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me
Out of the Past Investigating Film Noir
PRI Studio 360
Real Time with Bill Maher
SModcast
This American Life
Watching the Directors
WNYC's Radio Lab
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 11:37:09 AM »
What a great topic! I teach on-line and stay home with the kids, so I'm home more often than not and always looking for something interesting to listen to.

I recently went on a deleting spree to free up hard drive space and accidentally deleted my Itunes folder, so I'm doing this off of memory.

Puck Podcast
On The Media
Talk of the Nation
Intelligence Squared
Its All Politics
Left, Right, and Center
Kermode
Watching the Directors
Watching Theology (I'm hoping it will come back; they said they've got a Shaun of the Dead episode coming up)
Philosophy Bites
Smodcast (Yes, its all raunch and usually about Kevin Smith's sex life, but I can't help but listen.)
This American Life
Tony Compolo Podcast (Politically liberal Christianity; a lot of its preaching to the converted for me- literally- but its still nice to hear someone articulate these positions)
Slate Political Gabfest (a bit glib at times, but entertaining and fairly informative)
Grammar Girl
The Treatment

Yeah, he gets great people in. It is annoying that he announces the call letters - I don't blame him for that though; I'm sure he has to do it. Interesting that you don't like his interview style; I like it because he seems to me so genuinely interested in the person across from him - the questions and flow of conversation seem natural, not at all stagey. I like that.

Look, Melissa, we're agreeing again!  ;D  What fascinates me about Elvis is that he gets me interested in people that I've otherwise dismissed or ignored, people like Ron Howard, Eli Roth, or Tyler Perry.  He always turns the conversation into something meaningful, like a conversation about old Westerns with Howard or the communal nature of theater v. film with Perry.  Of course, he also gave Roth room to ascribe a political and philosophical level to his Hostel movies (granted I haven't seen them, but all of Roth's responses seemed like "Dude! I thought of that!  That's what I wanted to do with my film!"  It just seemed disingenuous). 

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 12:43:59 PM »
Yeah, he gets great people in. It is annoying that he announces the call letters - I don't blame him for that though; I'm sure he has to do it. Interesting that you don't like his interview style; I like it because he seems to me so genuinely interested in the person across from him - the questions and flow of conversation seem natural, not at all stagey. I like that.

Look, Melissa, we're agreeing again!  ;D  What fascinates me about Elvis is that he gets me interested in people that I've otherwise dismissed or ignored, people like Ron Howard, Eli Roth, or Tyler Perry.  He always turns the conversation into something meaningful, like a conversation about old Westerns with Howard or the communal nature of theater v. film with Perry.  Of course, he also gave Roth room to ascribe a political and philosophical level to his Hostel movies (granted I haven't seen them, but all of Roth's responses seemed like "Dude! I thought of that!  That's what I wanted to do with my film!"  It just seemed disingenuous). 

Practically two peas in a pod.  :) (You just have the one Tolkien blip. But you can get over that.  :) ) Yes, that's excatly my feeling about him - making me interested in people I wouldn't have thought much about otherwise. I so frequently come away after listening, too, feeling like I've been edified in some way - weird, but, as you say, he goes to some deeper, more meaningful level than most interviewers seem to be able to do. He's obviously so well-read, too - I love the kinds of connections he makes.

I listen to Watching Theology, too, I love that kind of philosophical analysis of films - Melissa and Joe are great together, too. I hope they can do more regular shows at some point - Shaun of the Dead would be fun!

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 08:06:05 AM »
My iPod has no music and is entirely podcasts and audiobooks.  I subscribe to an insane number of podcasts and often delete them without listening to them, other times I go through phases of listening to a bunch of one type or another.  It's just nice to have the choices...

I subscribe to (* next to the ones I listen to almost every episode):

*Israelisms
A Taste of Sex
*Speaking of Faith
BBC History Magazine
Best of the Left
Bill Moyers Journal
*Coverville
CrimeTime
Doctor Who: Time Tales
*Filmspotting
Guilty Pleasures
Le Show
*Left Right & Center
*The Treatment
*To the Point
*KMTT Torah Podcast
Learn Spanish (Coffee Break Spanis)  (I swear I'm going to listen to all of these someday)
Nature Sounds Podcast (AKA Collen's Insomnia Listening)
Nature Stories
*Nextbook
*NP3: New Parasha Pashtani
*NPR: Books
NPR Day to Day
*NPR: Fresh Air
NPR Playback
NPR Pop Culture
*NPR Story of the Day
*NPR Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
*Old Time Radio Detectives
*Old Time Radio Mysteries
*On the Media
*Open Source Sex
*Police on the Scene with a Crime Prevention Lean
*Primetime Pulse
*Rabbi Joe in Jerusalem
*Rav Dovid's Shiurim
*Slate Explainer
*Slate Daily (especially teh weekly gabfest on Fridays)
Slice of SciFi
Taste of Sex
The Book of Life
*The Bookcast
*The Young Turks
There are Jews in Alabama
*Top of the Pods
Torahmedia (enormous number of lectures, they put out maybe 3-4 per day, I listen to 2-3 per week)
Undead America (Buffy podcast)
Year of the Jew (another Rabbi Joe podcast, this one going through the Jewish calendar)
*Your Jewish Neighborhood

love