love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 222928 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #2040 on: August 10, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »
I think, in the first epiosde, the troll was shamed by the social context, certainly not by the podcaster.  I think he's in a context in which he is extraordinarily uncomfortable and so he is agreeing and backpedaling more than he would normally.

I agree that this is a great conversation and a way to let people know that human beings read the crap you deal out. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2041 on: August 14, 2017, 12:44:13 AM »
They out Shia Labeouf, Shia Labeouf

http://www.radiolab.org/story/truth-warriors/

So how much is the backlash a movement or just a better performance art piece than the one they disrupt?  Either way, a great story
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2042 on: August 29, 2017, 05:15:49 PM »
I have listened to about half of Philosophize This! (thanks to Jeff Schroeck) and it is amazing.

I am a fan of the format of sermons.  You take a text, explain it so it could be understood and apply it to people's lives.  This is exactly what Stephen West does with philosophy.   Never have I heard philosophy placed in such easy-to-understand ways, with such good humor (although the jokes are not always good), and passion. 

For most people, philosophy is dull.  I have never found it so, because philosophy is always on the edge of new ideas and concepts are the greatest joys in my life.  But philosophy is usually along the lines of analyzing the driest, most difficult texts and after much hard work you'll find something interesting.  Stephen West provides us the best of cliff notes, an entertaining approach to philosophy. 

Some philosophers I know pretty well, and for the most part he presents them well.  Sometimes he gives a very narrow interpretation, or he only presents the very basics because it can be complex.  But his presentation of Neitzsche is one of the best I've heard, and his version of Heiddegger is the only one I've heard that makes sense.   His Plato is too brief, but he's more of an Aristotle guy, so I get it. 

I wish I had thought of this, but I'm glad its out there.  And I can't wait to devour the rest of it.

4.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2043 on: August 30, 2017, 04:36:27 AM »
Ugh, cannot stand those Aristotle people.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #2044 on: August 30, 2017, 06:08:15 AM »
I have listened to about half of Philosophize This! (thanks to Jeff Schroeck) and it is amazing.

I am a fan of the format of sermons.  You take a text, explain it so it could be understood and apply it to people's lives.  This is exactly what Stephen West does with philosophy.   Never have I heard philosophy placed in such easy-to-understand ways, with such good humor (although the jokes are not always good), and passion. 

For most people, philosophy is dull.  I have never found it so, because philosophy is always on the edge of new ideas and concepts are the greatest joys in my life.  But philosophy is usually along the lines of analyzing the driest, most difficult texts and after much hard work you'll find something interesting.  Stephen West provides us the best of cliff notes, an entertaining approach to philosophy. 

Some philosophers I know pretty well, and for the most part he presents them well.  Sometimes he gives a very narrow interpretation, or he only presents the very basics because it can be complex.  But his presentation of Neitzsche is one of the best I've heard, and his version of Heiddegger is the only one I've heard that makes sense.   His Plato is too brief, but he's more of an Aristotle guy, so I get it. 

I wish I had thought of this, but I'm glad its out there.  And I can't wait to devour the rest of it.

4.5/5

I need to get back into this. I listened to the first 1/3 of them quickly and got burned out on it, probably due to it just being one voice the whole time.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #2045 on: September 07, 2017, 10:42:27 AM »
My current podcast lineup:

Never Not Funny - 1
Comedy Bang Bang - none of the above (could make a case for 1, but they have plenty of female guests and it's not really "going on about things")
The Jackie and Laurie Show - none of the above
My Favorite Murder* - some hybrid of 2 (not whispery at all) and 4
Spontaneanation - 4, because I only listen to the interview portion and bail out once they start the improv
Doughboys - 1
Filmspotting - 1 (and probably 4 because I usually skip the main review)

* I was an early adopter of MFM, but I'm on the verge of unsubscribing. Karen Kilgariff is great, but Georgia Hardstark is friggin' insufferable.

I've unsubscribed to MFM and Jackie & Laurie, which makes my podcast lineup entirely dudes, I'm afraid (at least as far as hosts go). Jackie & Laurie was fun for a while but I feel like it's the same thing every week.

Listened to the first ep of High & Mighty with Jon Gabrus, it had enough potential for me to keep going. Thinking of getting back into All Killa No Filla for my true crime fix. But I have a pretty hard time keeping up with podcasts already.

Update! Current podcast lineup, in order of preference:

Doughboys (+ Doughboys Double bonus)
Never Not Funny (+ Players Club bonus)
Comedy Bang Bang
Spontaneanation
Filmspotting
Treks and the City
Hold On with Eugene Mirman

I've got ladies back in the mix with "Treks and the City". Listened to the first 4-5 eps so far... pretty enjoyable for a TNG fan, not likely to appeal to anyone else. Some of the guests aren't great... 2nd episode guy kept trying to tell them how to do their podcast and the 3rd guy had never watched the show before and kind of acted like he was above it all.

Also added "Hold On with Eugene Mirman" which is short and sweet. Had to skip the Emo Phillips episode because man, I just can't deal with his shtick.

I decided not to subscribe to High & Mighty, but I've cherry-picked a handful of eps to listen to whenever I've got time.

Doughboys is KILLING IT lately, and it's well worth subscribing to their Patreon to get the "Double" episode every week. This is by far my favorite podcast right now.

I still love NNF, but good lord enough with the Hamilton talk. Also, Matt Belknap has gotten weirdly arrogant lately and I don't like it.

Also my wife's good friend Will (he officiated our wedding) is featured is the latest episode of "This American Life" ("Private Geography"). My wife is the "non-witness friend" mentioned in his story.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2046 on: September 07, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »
So there are four other forums you like more than us?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2047 on: September 07, 2017, 11:29:43 AM »
Nah.

MattDrufke

« Reply #2048 on: September 11, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »
Ok, so I started listening to a podcast called "Knowledge Fight", a podcast which basically clowns on Alex Jones, mostly because I'm very close with one of the co-hosts. However, they accidentally fell into something really interesting as they've been discovering why Alex Jones began supporting Trump, who Jones originally said he would never trust and had serious mob ties. What they found out, specifically about how much Alex Jones falls for narratives from Russian media, is both hilarious and shocking. If you like your politics mixed with equal parts comedy and crazy, this is a podcast to check out.
@ihatemattdrufke

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2049 on: September 11, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »
Can they find out why Scott Adams also seems to have done the same?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love