love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 222979 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #2090 on: March 03, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
I'm on the newest episode of Beow the Line Podcast talking about P.A. Bootcamp

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2091 on: April 22, 2019, 09:03:29 PM »
A recent episode of Gilbert Godfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast they did a fan call-in show. It was one of the best episodes. For listeners of this podcast, you gotta love the first caller's question. I lol'd.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2092 on: June 15, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »
Some podcasts I've appreciated lately:

Enter the Void: Discussions with a writer from the New York Times about "mindf**k" movies.  Usually insightful and pretty thorough conversations. I love the "genre" of film they talk about, and their shock at almost every film never gets old.

/Filmcast: As film discussion, it's spotty, occasionally interesting and occasionally banal.  However, the recent discussion of Season 5 of Black Mirror was pretty good.

Throughline: A very good collection of news/history articles.  Takes significant recent events or characters and tells the history of them with coherance and insight.

Rough Translation: Looks at important stories in the US from an international viewpoint.  It could be getting a different perspective in another nation, seeing how a familiar event looks in a different culture, or how an event is based on circumstances outside the US.  Good.

Anthropocene Reviewed: Essays by novelist John Green.  Brilliantly written, he reviews, with stars, everyday things he has experienced, such as the prom, Velociraptors, Scratch 'n' Sniff stickers, Tetris.  They are personal, hopeful, wistful, and delightful.

50 Things That Made the Modern Economy: More than 50 brief essays about how certain obejects-- some everyday, some not-- have created what life we take for granted.  Short enough to be worth the time.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2093 on: June 15, 2019, 06:27:20 PM »
Will check out Enter the Void.  Last one seems of interest as well, will listen to a few
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2094 on: June 15, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »
Going to check out Enter the Void and 50 TTMtME. I may also check out Throughline. I already listen to /Filmcast (I generally enjoy their banter).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2095 on: June 15, 2019, 08:12:29 PM »
Downloaded the Fight Club episode of Enter the Void to give it a listen.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2096 on: June 15, 2019, 08:22:07 PM »
May check out this Enter The Void as well, seems like there could be some #FBC crossover.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2097 on: June 15, 2019, 09:16:50 PM »
May check out this Enter The Void as well, seems like there could be some #FBC crossover.

There certainly is.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2098 on: June 18, 2019, 10:31:17 AM »
I've pretty much stopped listening to Never Not Funny, though I still subscribe just in case an appealing guest shows up. And for the "Playing Games" episodes, although tbh those aren't really doing it for me these days either... I just don't really like these guys anymore.

Which leaves me with Doughboys, Comedy Bang Bang, Threedom and Raised By TV as my only regular podcasts. However, I've decided to do a deep dive on Hollywood Handbook. I started with Reality Show Show and am now almost done with the first year of HH. At first Sean and Hayes come off as simply sarcastic dicks, kind of mean-spirited even. But as the show develops, it embraces a really enjoyable over-the-top absurdity. I can see why the show has such a devoted following. Looking forward to getting caught up.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2099 on: August 09, 2019, 01:37:05 PM »
Bernie Sanders on JRE. Only 1 hr though. :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O-iLk1G_ng

love