Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 222913 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #2140 on: April 01, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »
The combat is real time with pause so you can pause at any time and issue orders. Not based on reflexes. But yea, a good playthrough might be the way to go. Both games have a great story that I think you'd enjoy.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #2141 on: April 01, 2020, 11:39:15 PM »
I don't want to talk or think about the STAR WARS movies again for the next ten years.
...except for The Last Jedi because that film's amazing. I hope it gets a sequel some day.

I was never commenting on the quality of the movies. I am just so worn out by any discussion - good, bad, in-between - that I am not sure I even want to think about them again. Enduring basically any prolonged conversation about them feels like torture.

I don't want to talk or think about the STAR WARS movies again for the next ten years.
...except for The Last Jedi because that film's amazing. I hope it gets a sequel some day.

This!
Just play the Knights of the Old Republic games.

The games, sure. I'm gonna drop this hot take here - when all is said and done, I probably consider Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003) to be the best story out of the Star Wars universe and one of the greatest video games of all time.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2142 on: May 09, 2020, 02:47:49 PM »
Should I listen to Hollywood Handbook? With working at home I find myself able to listen to a lot more than normal and am generally running out of podcasts. Right now, in order of enjoyment, here's what I listen to:

Giant Beastcast (video games)
Big Grande's Teachers Lounge (so good. Comedy)
Giant Bombcast (video games)
Comedy Bang Bang (comedy)
Filmspotting (film. Also a few episodes behind since they've been talking about things I haven't seen, will dive back in to this week's ep, though I worry that they won't properly call out Ghostbusters for not being that good and/or say it's worse than Gremlins. Filmspotting is, from what I can tell, the best film podcast by a country mile)

Tier Break

Giant Bombcast Aftermath (kind of videogames?)
Bonanas For Bonanza (comedy. Only one episode since it became an official show)

Tier Break

Blank Check (film. Number of aspects that bother me, but when they actually talk about movies that's good, plus I've seen all the Miller, will likely check out of the Nora Ephron one next, and perhaps the Zemeckis after that one before I get too deep in his late era trash, rather than the early era trash)
The Late Round Podcast (fantasy football)

Tier Break

High And Mighty (comedy)
The Underculture (comedy)

These have been pretty hit or miss in terms of quality during COVID, usually depends on the topic for Gabrus or character James Adomian is playing.

Tier Break

Fantasy Football Counselor (fantasy football. This guy is not good/too in to himself to be objective, but puts out a nuts amount of content, so there's stuff here if you sift through the bad)
Get Rich Nick (comedy kind of. idk why I still listen to this outside of nothing else really hitting on Tuesdays. Also it might be canceled/on hiatus due to COVID)

Also subscribed to Womp It Up (top tier, but also on hiatus), Threedom (also done/on hiatus), and Unspooled (super hit or miss on this one/tastes are pretty at odds with mine/Scheer is super funny in his work but I typically don't care about what he brings to a film discussion. Also I only listen to episodes if I've seen the film, like with Filmspotting and Blank Check), R U Talkin/U Talkin (they've done two COVID episodes, but who knows if there will be more).

Should I just subscribe to Stitcher for a month or so and go hard on the Teachers Lounge minis? Any other suggestions of things to check out? I'm not super in on the idea of Hollywood Handbook, just seems like something I see people talk about a lot. No real interest in the McElroy stuff at all either.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2143 on: May 09, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »
I resisted HH for a long time, and finally committed to giving it a serious try. I started with Reality Show Show and have been going through the entire output (including Masterclass and HH Pro Version, though not Flagrant Ones). I've still got about a year's worth of episodes to listen to, but I strongly recommend it. The show changes a lot over time, and it definitely is a grower. At first it's just kind of this one thing about Sean & Hayes being clueless Hollywood guys way too into theirselves but the comedy starts getting more and more absurd and self-deprecating. They are just really funny guys who are very self-aware. It's my favorite podcast now, except for Doughboys.

I tried Teacher's Lounge for about 6-7 episodes but it's just too "zany" for me.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2144 on: May 09, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
Is it best to just start from the beginning with it/are there throughlines? If I have to go all the way back then I probably will need to get Stitcher, since I think EarWolf archives a lot there. If it's just running jokes with the occasional multi-week arc, similar to how Teachers Lounge is post-reset/after becoming a weekly show, then maybe I'll be okay jumping in with whatever is free now and going back later if I get Stitcher. I know the people who love it really love it, so it has me way curious considering all the CBB crossover, and their guest episodes on shows were always good.

Have heard a ton about Doughboys, but I don't know enough about how outside of food it is. I'd likely be fine, but as someone who is like 35 days away from a year and a half without eating fast food, it may spark my cravings for garbage that never go away, but that I've effectively pushed back.

Feel like Stitcher would open up a lot of doors. In addition to the Lounge minis, I think Lauren Lapkus either still has Special Guest on there or something else, and Gabrus has the Gino show? Neighborhood Listen too, but I'm unsure about that. Just trying to avoid another subscription service if I can lol

The Lounge I was not about at first. Listened to a few episodes like you did and bounced off, but returned a month or two later when the first four seasons all hit free and blasted through them. It's definitely zany though, and figure that builds as it progresses (in a fun way, though they are pretty much always at 11, as it were, which I can for sure see being a bit too much),but probably my favorite thing to listen to atm. HH seems to have a ton of positive talk around it.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #2145 on: May 09, 2020, 06:13:08 PM »
You should try Dissect. I cannot recommend it enough. :)
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2146 on: May 09, 2020, 06:31:26 PM »
Thanks, might check out season two! Perhaps DAMN. as well. Though kicking it off with TPAB is a slight red flag, and this season six of Lemonade as well... Hopefully if I take to it and they go back to Tyler they'll do Cherry Bomb, as Flower Boy is maybe his only project that didn't do a ton for me. Also pretty anti-Ocean in general, but really interested in that MBDTF discussion. I have listened to I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats podcast season one, need to do two still, and the song by song conversation format is a super solid basis for a podcast.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2147 on: May 12, 2020, 10:24:10 PM »
Is it best to just start from the beginning with it/are there throughlines? If I have to go all the way back then I probably will need to get Stitcher, since I think EarWolf archives a lot there. If it's just running jokes with the occasional multi-week arc, similar to how Teachers Lounge is post-reset/after becoming a weekly show, then maybe I'll be okay jumping in with whatever is free now and going back later if I get Stitcher. I know the people who love it really love it, so it has me way curious considering all the CBB crossover, and their guest episodes on shows were always good.

I think you're safe sampling a couple of episodes here or there. Having some knowledge of the history enhances the experience, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Have heard a ton about Doughboys, but I don't know enough about how outside of food it is. I'd likely be fine, but as someone who is like 35 days away from a year and a half without eating fast food, it may spark my cravings for garbage that never go away, but that I've effectively pushed back.

To me the fun is all about the dynamic between the hosts, but yeah it definitely sparks cravings so if that's an issue then steer clear.

Feel like Stitcher would open up a lot of doors. In addition to the Lounge minis, I think Lauren Lapkus either still has Special Guest on there or something else, and Gabrus has the Gino show? Neighborhood Listen too, but I'm unsure about that. Just trying to avoid another subscription service if I can lol

Neighborhood Listen is fantastic, I really love it. I also use Stitcher for Bonanas for Bonanza, How Did This Get Played bonus episodes, CBB live episodes, Double Threat with Tom Scharpling and Julie Klausner, Threedom (episodes drop on Stitcher way before they do on Earwolf), Raised By TV (I think that's dead now) and of course all the HH backlog and HH Pro Version.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2148 on: May 24, 2020, 03:43:19 PM »
Couldn't resist haha. They were doing a MDW offer, the year for $21 for new sign ups, so I went with Stitcher. Planning on diving in to some premium things that I've missed associated with what I listen to, and then probably sprinkle in some HH here and there to get a better sense of the show.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #2149 on: July 28, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »
The YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS "Polly Platt" series ended this week. It may be her best run yet.