love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 223065 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #2160 on: September 17, 2020, 05:36:48 PM »
It's Mike Duncan and he's a legend. He has two books as well, The History of Rome and The Storm Before the Storm, both excellent historical reads.
Texan Down Under

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #2161 on: September 17, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »
Duncan's podcasts are The History of Rome and Revolutions, both excellent. I like his aw shucks I'm just a historian attitude he brings, and his voice is very soothing. Good listening!
Texan Down Under

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #2162 on: September 17, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »
It's Mike Duncan and he's a legend. He has two books as well, The History of Rome and The Storm Before the Storm, both excellent historical reads.

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. I've also been listening to the American Civil War series by Mark DePue, I got them mixed up.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #2163 on: September 18, 2020, 05:36:37 AM »
I love The History Of Rome. I never got around to finishing it. Got somewhere in the 80's but i loved every minute of it. That opening riff always brings me back.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2164 on: September 18, 2020, 09:49:19 AM »
Am I right in thinking that The History of Rome was one of the first big podcasts? I remember hearing a lot about it in college when podcasts were first starting to become more of a thing.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #2165 on: September 18, 2020, 02:59:53 PM »
Yes. It's quite an old one, and along with Dan Carlin, Mike Duncan is one of the two building blocks of the history podcast world, such as it is. History of Rome was a little rough early on (not that I thought so when first listening to it, but going back it is very noticeable how much it improved over time), but Revolutions is great from start to finish. HoR is absolutely worth listening to, let's be clear, but I think Revolutions is where he hit his stride as a podcaster.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #2166 on: September 23, 2020, 05:18:03 AM »
Hey, thought I might use this thread to plug Talking Images, which is a film podcast tied to the ICM Forum (which some people here are also on) I've started participating in. The last episode is about our favorite films of 2019, Filmspotting roundtable style (though it's only a top 5). It's the second one I've been on (though I had pretty terrible mike quality for the previous one so let's not talk about that), but I'd recommend some of the previous episodes too, I particularly like the one about contemporary silent cinema and there's one about the decline of film forums that is sadly pretty relevant to us too. The one about what disturbs us in films is also a good one. Anyway, if you were somehow lacking film podcasts to listen to, there you go.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2167 on: September 24, 2020, 06:15:03 PM »
Hey, thought I might use this thread to plug Talking Images, which is a film podcast tied to the ICM Forum (which some people here are also on) I've started participating in. The last episode is about our favorite films of 2019, Filmspotting roundtable style (though it's only a top 5). It's the second one I've been on (though I had pretty terrible mike quality for the previous one so let's not talk about that), but I'd recommend some of the previous episodes too, I particularly like the one about contemporary silent cinema and there's one about the decline of film forums that is sadly pretty relevant to us too. The one about what disturbs us in films is also a good one. Anyway, if you were somehow lacking film podcasts to listen to, there you go.

I'll check it out!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2168 on: October 05, 2020, 09:59:40 PM »
After a 3 year break, The Tobolowsky Files is back for at least a 12 episode season. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #2169 on: October 06, 2020, 12:40:03 AM »
After a 3 year break, The Tobolowsky Files is back for at least a 12 episode season.

Long time Dave Chen fan here. Does it ever come up on the show how he and Tobolowsky met? I only ever listened to the first episode.