love

Author Topic: Other Podcasts  (Read 223035 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Other Podcasts
« Reply #2170 on: October 06, 2020, 01:54:34 AM »
After a 3 year break, The Tobolowsky Files is back for at least a 12 episode season.

Long time Dave Chen fan here. Does it ever come up on the show how he and Tobolowsky met? I only ever listened to the first episode.

I believe it does but I only have vague memories so I could be completely wrong. But I think it started with David trying to order Steven Tobolowsky’s Birthday Party which was a movie that has Steven telling a few stories similar to what is now The Tobolowsky Files.  But as a movie, it is done in his backyard with a group of friends during a BBQ.  I believe it could only be ordered directly and when David called the number to order he got the director of the film and things went from there.

At least that is what I seem to remember or I may have mixed that up with some other story I once heard.   
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2171 on: October 06, 2020, 02:14:41 AM »
I sort of have it correct... Chen was a fan of the movie and wanted to do it as a podcast...

https://robertbrinkmann.com/stephen-tobolowskys-birthday-party/

I just remember David Chen saying he was calling a number for the DVD and the person answered something like “Robert speaking” and Chen answering, “Robert Brickmann?, director of .....”

The Podcast doesn’t disappoint.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2172 on: December 14, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
I need some Audible recommendations. I have 4 credits that i need to spend so i can cancel my sub. I like non fiction books. Usually about a historical figure or anything Ancient Rome related.

Ghost in the Wires was a really fun audiobook to listen to. If the subject sounds interesting to you I recommend it./

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2173 on: January 23, 2021, 07:55:11 AM »
I'll be waiting to see if and when you get fed up with "My Favorite Murder". I was so into it at first and watched it go downhill in a big way.

I was going back through the thread to get ideas for something new to listen to and came across this comment.

I'm still subscribed to MMF but I certainly don't enjoy it like I used to. The mini-sodes do nothing for me so I skip though, and they have/had a lot of live episodes in their feed which I find unlistenable because of all the screaming audience noise so I skip all those as well. And now the regular episodes are front loaded with 45 minutes of unrelated talk about whatever they happen to be watching on Netflix, or current events, or whatever. When they do eventually get to the meat of the episode I don't find them as good as they used to be. By the sounds of it, now they just have researchers who drum up the content for them and they present it. They're too busy with nursing the podcast network they've launched to be so involved in MMF. All of that combined I found has really reduced the quality, or at least what I enjoyed about the show before.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2174 on: January 25, 2021, 10:59:07 AM »
Latest podcasts:
Pop Culture Happy Hour:  An NPR twenty minute special on all things pop culture.  I really enjoy the four hosts, and they are allowed to actually have personalities, like on Code Switch.  The reviews are quick, so there is little in depth, but it is good to have an idea if I want to watch something or not.  It is also great to have LGBTQ individuals speak about films that relate to their culture, as well as Black and Latino culture.  Hearing Shereen Meraji (a guest, not a host) gush about Coco is worth the price of admission.  Now this podcast is streaming five times a week, so they are constantly talking about new topics and I just skip the ones I’m not interested in.  4/5

Conversations  on Vox:  This political interview show was hosted by Ezra Kline for five years and those podcasts are smart and insightful, as much from the host as from the guests.  His choice for guests range from the typical journalists to neuroscientists, philosophers... every one is a thinker.  So they always give me something to think about.  The politics do lean progressive, but there is a lot of talk about trying to make things work.  Ezra Kline left to work for the New York Times, so the podcast it getting its footing again.  This is a shame, because I was looking forward to hearing insights about the post-Trump political world and more about climate change.  4.5/5

/Filmcast— This is a re-review.  My previous review was lukewarm, but I have become addicted to this podcast.  David Chen is wonderful to listen to and the conversations about film and TV are quite insightful and funny.  4.5/5

Dear Hank and John— I can’t believe I’m still listening to Hank and John Green say whatever they want in response to listeners email questions.  So very silly, but sometimes it just helps me pass the time away when I can’t concentrate on anything. 3.5/5

Nerdin ’ Out— Three hosts trying to do the morning DJ shtick while talking about Star Wars, Marvel, Game of Thrones and DC.  They go episode by episode for the Mandelorian and The Boys and it is mostly gushing over plot points with the occasional insight.  I’m probably about ready to drop it... but after WandaVision.  3/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2175 on: February 27, 2021, 04:24:33 PM »
FLY doesn't typically play along with Blank Check, as the episodes are too meandering to dedicate much time to longer filmographies like the Zemeckis one recently while feeling like I get much out of the episodes, but have been following the current series as tomorrow's episode will focus on a true titan of cinema, Disney's Hercules.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2176 on: February 27, 2021, 04:32:37 PM »
Honey, you mean Hunkules
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2177 on: February 27, 2021, 04:52:59 PM »
Honey, you mean Hunkules

I mean, ofc. I can definitely quote a lot of Herc, some would say it's Disney's (second or third) best work. Hopefully all parties involved give it the critical praise it so rightfully deserves. Once again, time is FLY's greatest vindicator.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #2178 on: March 22, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »
Surprising no one (especially Bondo), I've pretty much binged the entirety of Chapo Trap House in the last month. The reputation that many online liberals project upon it is not without some truth (they are quite vulgar) but the problematic tag it's gotten is mostly undeserved.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2179 on: March 22, 2021, 10:55:30 PM »
Jacobin has a mass of podcasts that go on that one feed. I definitely can't get to them all, but I do enjoy what I've heard. Today, a big pod on the downfall of Andrew Cuomo, and the future of the New York state legislation and government.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire