Author Topic: What do you wish you were doing?  (Read 356427 times)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What do you wish you were doing?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:53:46 PM »
Sleeping
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:39:36 PM »
Winning at poker, instead of loosing.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 01:04:32 AM »
I like winning... unfortunately I am really good at winning when there are multiple players, but I've never learned to adjust my tactics for a head to head game. :)
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
Yeah, I'm the same way. When the game goes heads up I usually get pushed around.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 09:15:29 AM »
I wish I were at The Profound Desire of the Gods, starting...NOW.  I was downtown and Lara called me from bed, sick, wanted me to make her dinner and chill with her.  Not that I'm complaining about that, but I can't remember the last time she requested some caretaking, and on a day that I was finally taking for myself (I did get to Atonement).   :) C'est la vie.

How about "mothering"?  ;) What you just detailed is a pretty decent description of my life as a mother.  :)

:)  I prefer "caring" to "mothering", in addition to the gendered connotation, it has the potential to be read as controlling.  I made garlic mashed potatoes and tuna, we watched a couple episodes of Corner Gas and a couple of Weeds, went to bed at the very reasonable hour of 10:30.  I'm feeling a bit sick right now :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 09:20:44 AM »
Wearing socks.  My feet are freezing.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 05:03:39 PM »
I wish I were at The Profound Desire of the Gods, starting...NOW.  I was downtown and Lara called me from bed, sick, wanted me to make her dinner and chill with her.  Not that I'm complaining about that, but I can't remember the last time she requested some caretaking, and on a day that I was finally taking for myself (I did get to Atonement).   :) C'est la vie.

How about "mothering"?  ;) What you just detailed is a pretty decent description of my life as a mother.  :)

:)  I prefer "caring" to "mothering", in addition to the gendered connotation, it has the potential to be read as controlling.  I made garlic mashed potatoes and tuna, we watched a couple episodes of Corner Gas and a couple of Weeds, went to bed at the very reasonable hour of 10:30.  I'm feeling a bit sick right now :)

Sick because too early to bed, too much garlic, or ?  :)

Huh. So would you just like to delete the term mother/mothering from our language? And I refer to our earlier discussion as it dovetails with this:
But I wouldn't say I am I am belittling her protective "mothering" characteristics as merely role-playing, my point is that this type of act is ultimately how we should interact with everyone.  That by making this an easy equivalence of "mothering" = being a mother doesn't leave room for "non-mothers" to be mothers.

and

Or, spun a bit, why do we want to see women as mothers?  I like having the question raised concerning what it means to care for others, to show that it is not a gendered act.

Personally, I think the term "mother" has more to do with specificity than particularly offensive gendered-language. I like being called, I want to be called a mother, in part because of the very specific acts that I have been involved with or done because I am both a woman and a woman caring for children for whom I am responsible, in practical, emotional, and psychological ways. And frankly, the recognition of my actions is integral to my relationship with my children - it's partly why I'd prefer that they call me Mom or Mama rather than Melissa. So when I hear you seeming to say that mothering should not be seen as exclusively in the realm of women, I think you might be overlooking very specific caring and actions that women do for and because of their children.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
Easing down from a nice 5-mile run. Unfortunately, it's -17 degrees outside (no exaggeration, and not including wind chill) and I'm not man enough try that... or even to walk two blocks to the nearest indoor track.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 12:28:11 AM »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 12:41:32 AM »
Sleeping, and wishing I could take some of the pain away from pix, you can't do it all buddy  :).
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

love