Author Topic: 1960s World Cinema  (Read 49057 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1960s World Cinema
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 10:16:59 PM »
Yeah, France was tough.  I went with Varda because of the new Criterion, together with the chance to include a second woman filmmaker.

More in a bit...

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 10:42:56 PM »
This looks great.  I really like the idea of spacing them out every three weeks - gives plenty of time for viewing, discussing, researching, and taking detours into other films - thanks for the research and effort pix.  As far as other inputs, I'm game for whatever comes out of it, y'all are clearly tee pees and turquoise above me in film knowledge, I'll be pleased with whatever comes out of it.

Also, it looks like The Cloud-Capped Star and A Taste of Honey might be hard to find (Netflix doesn't have them, e.g.).  I'll hunt around for alternatives.  Any suggestions?

pixote

I'll also call a couple local spots, hopefully tomorrow.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 01:30:00 AM »
Alright, I've removed the hard-to-find film from India and updated the UK and Italy and Italy films (the first films in the series) as follows:

1960:  The Entertainer - Tony Richardson - UK  [showing on TCM, Thursday, February 14, 4:15am EST]
1961:  Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini - Italy

As I mentioned earlier, that works out great with The Entertainer showing on TCM on the 14th.  And I imagine Pasolini's first film to represent a stronger break with Italian cinema of the 40s and 50s than the 1961 films by Rosi and Olmi (though I could be totally off on that).

I also added in The Cow, the 1969 Iranian film mentioned by sdedalus, and then, to even up the years, switched the USSR film to an earlier Parajanov film.

That gives us three films for 1964, which gives us a (silly) excuse to switch out Pale Flower for a different Japanese film.  The options so far include Yasuzo Masumura's Red Angel, Nobuo Nakagawa's Jingoku (available from Criterion), and films by Hiroshi Teshigahara, Mikio Naruse, Kon Ichikawa, Masaki Kobayashi, Shohei Imamura, Seijun Suzuki, Masahiro Shinoda, etc.  Anybody want to really push for a particular film, ideally from one of these years: 1960, 1961, 1962, 1965, and 1967?

Oh, and I can't remember why I skipped Sweden on the first pass, but here are two options there:  Elvira Madigan (Bo Widerberg, 1967) or I Am Curious (Yellow) (Vilgot Sjöman, 1967).  The only Widerberg film I've seen is from the 90s, but it sounds as though in many ways he reacted against Bergman.  Does that make Elvira Madigan a better choice than a film best known for its X-rating?  Tough to say.  Neither film sounds particularly great on paper.

pixote
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:14:49 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 02:07:11 AM »
Alright, I've removed the hard-to-find film from India and updated the UK and Italy and Italy films (the first films in the series) as follows:

1960:  The Entertainer - Tony Richardson - UK

As I mentioned earlier, that works out great with The Entertainer showing on TCM on the 14th.  And I imagine Pasolini's first film to represent a stronger break with Italian cinema of the 40s and 50s than the 1961 films by Rosi and Olmi (though I could be totally off on that).

I also added in The Cow, the 1969 Iranian film mentioned by sdedalus, and then, to even up the years, switched the USSR film to an earlier Parajanov film.

That gives us three films for 1964, which gives us a (silly) excuse to switch out Pale Flower for a different Japanese film.  The options so far include Yasuzo Masumura's Red Angel, Nobuo Nakagawa's Jingoku (available from Criterion), and films by Hiroshi Teshigahara, Mikio Naruse, Kon Ichikawa, Masaki Kobayashi, Shohei Imamura, Seijun Suzuki, Masahiro Shinoda, etc.  Anybody want to really push for a particular film, ideally from one of these years: 1960, 1961, 1962, 1965, and 1967?

Oh, and I can't remember why I skipped Sweden on the first pass, but here are two options there:  Elvira Madigan (Bo Widerberg, 1967) or I Am Curious (Yellow) (Vilgot Sjöman, 1967).  The only Widerberg film I've seen is from the 90s, but it sounds as though in many ways he reacted against Bergman.  Does that make Elvira Madigan a better choice than a film best known for its X-rating?  Tough to say.  Neither film sounds particularly great on paper.

pixote
Cait's extremely conservative, extremely Catholic uncle loves I Am Curious. If nothing else, that is anecdotal, circumstantial evidence that there may be more there than the X-rating. I'm off to find a good choice from Japan. However, I would suggest Momma Roma over Accattone as the former is not only a better film (from my memory), it is also a clearer example of Pasolini's brand of change (again, from memory). If anyone has seen Accattone recently and believes me to be wrong, I will defer to their memory.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 02:18:01 AM »
Accatone has the advantage of filling the slot for 1961 (as well as being a film I need to see).  Ah, but if you can find a Japanese film from 1961 to take its place, then problem solved.

As for I Am Curious, one of my movie guides gives it 1½ stars (out of five), hence the "on paper" comment.  I'm still game to see it.  (Yikes, I almost wrote "curious" without intending the dumb joke.)

pixote

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 02:19:30 AM »

1960:  The Entertainer - Tony Richardson - UK

pixote
In terms of importance in affecting change, I would have to suggest Jingoku or Youth of the Beast (or Branded to Kill). If it's quality, then I say Pitfall (though I recall the other two films in the box as better, only Pitfall hits one of our years). I don't really have quarrel with any of the choices for Japan other than Naruse. He's far too indicative of the old guard. I would also say that Shinoda, Kobayashi and Ichikawa don't stand up as well to the other filmmakers (though Ichikawa comes very very close). I know almost nothing about Masumura.

Accatone has the advantage of filling the slot for 1961 (as well as being a film I need to see).  Ah, but if you can find a Japanese film from 1961 to take its place, then problem solved.

As for I Am Curious, one of my movie guides gives it 1½ stars (out of five), hence the "on paper" comment.  I'm still game to see it.  (Yikes, I almost wrote "curious" without intending the dumb joke.)

pixote
I was typing when you wrote this. I'm not really sure if anything I gave as an option is from 61. What resource are you abiding by?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:21:36 AM by faceboy »

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 02:24:25 AM »
I would be out of character if I didn't point out that Last Year in Marienbad was from 1961.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 02:32:26 AM »
I would be out of character if I didn't point out that Last Year in Marienbad was from 1961.

Hopefully the Rialto release will make its inclusion here superfluous...

pixote

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 02:34:43 AM »
Mother Joan of the Angels would probably work as well as The Saragossa Manuscript and 1965 is easily replaceable from either Japan or elsewhere.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 02:36:34 AM »
Mother Joan of the Angels would probably work as well as The Saragossa Manuscript and 1965 is easily replaceable from either Japan or elsewhere.

I was just looking at that very thing.  Suzuki's Life of a Tattooed Man and Story of a Prostitute are both 1965...

edit: Though, regardless of years, I'm really leaning towards Red Angel since it sound like Masumura is a filmmaker that would be new to all of us (though maybe that's true of Nakagawa as well).

Also, for Italy, what's your preference in terms of Pasolini versus Bertolucci and Corbucci, etc.  I want to see Grim Reaper as much as I do Accatone, but I know nothing about Corbucci, so he's intriguing too.

pixote
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:44:11 AM by pixote »

love