love

Author Topic: Spiderman fan who hates the movie  (Read 3747 times)

silverjman

Spiderman fan who hates the movie
« on: July 14, 2005, 07:34:27 PM »
I love Spiderman he has always been my favorite super hero.
I went to the movie opening night and hated it.  I don't think the movie is true to the comic because 1. supposedly he gets bit by a hybrid spider on a field trip, NO he's bit by a spider that falls into a radioactive beam at a nerd only deal.
2. Omigosh who is this guy in the movie Venom, Carnage what happened to him being smart enough to invent his webbing and web shooters.
3.  Casting, anybody who says Toby M doesn't suck is crazy, he's about as cool as a freshly popped bag of Orville Redenbacher's, Mary Jane is supposed to be hot, too hot for pete,  Kristen Dunst=Plain  I liked old what's his face boondocks saints detective but the outfit looked like a joke

This rant was spawned by S2's inclusion in the top five list, I refused to see it but might give it a chance after that.

DaverJ

Re: Spiderman fan who hates the movie
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 07:33:54 AM »
Quote from: "silverjman"
I went to the movie opening night and hated it.  I don't think the movie is true to the comic because 1. supposedly he gets bit by a hybrid spider on a field trip, NO he's bit by a spider that falls into a radioactive beam at a nerd only deal.
2. Omigosh who is this guy in the movie Venom, Carnage what happened to him being smart enough to invent his webbing and web shooters.
3.  Casting, anybody who says Toby M doesn't suck is crazy, he's about as cool as a freshly popped bag of Orville Redenbacher's, Mary Jane is supposed to be hot, too hot for pete,  Kristen Dunst=Plain  I liked old what's his face boondocks saints detective but the outfit looked like a joke

This rant was spawned by S2's inclusion in the top five list, I refused to see it but might give it a chance after that.

You know, I liked the Spiderman movies but I'll have to say you make some valid points.

The biggest one...  Kristen Dunst.  Why is she still acting?  I thought she was great in Interview with a Vampire but has brought down every movie she's been in since.  When I see her name or face in a trailer (Elizabethtown), I think "damn, another movie ruined."  OK, she wasn't terrible in Eternal Sunshine, but anyone could have been much better.  I don't know if it was the writing or her, but the Mary Jane character in the books is hot and sassy.  Dunst was tepid and boring.  I think she only called Peter her favorite nickname "tiger" once!   :?

Also, I don't know why they changed the webs from technical to organic... strange.

But other than these complaints, I thought both were pretty good.  I'm not sure why more fanboys weren't complaining though... and why these movies grossed so much.   :roll:

Anonymous

Re: Spiderman fan who hates the movie
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 02:04:17 PM »
Quote from: "silverjman"

It's your opinion, and that should be respected.

That being said... YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

Just kidding. I liked the movie and the second one even more. I'm a bigtime comic reader, and I thought it was a fantastic telling of the story.
Peter is not supposed to be "cool". He was a nerd, and TM played it very well. The webshooters would have taken too much time to fit into the movie correctly IMO. Dunst is fantastic, and I thought she made a great MJ. If you're going to rail on a comic movie, save it for the Hulk. Bleck.

Anonymous

silverjman
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 02:04:42 PM »
For some reason I just liked mostly everything about Eternal Sunshine.
I think the reason it grossed so much was because spiderman is a great story, plot, idea even after it's butchered.  Yeah I don't know why I hate it more than anybody I've met guess I'm just insane

Anonymous

silverjman
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 02:18:51 PM »
that above guest post was me,   "the hulk"  who has enough time to consider watching that movie.  I hold pete is a nerd with potential to be cool, as you can see this is a big thing for me as someday I hope to achieve it, he doesn't come off as a nerd in later comics.  TM is just always going to be a tool (oooh I know).  The hulk why???? I thought Daredevil was a cool idea but couln't get through the first 1/2 hour and I don't hate Ben Affleck.  I just hate when good movie ideas are made into junk.

silverjman

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 02:19:33 PM »
sheeesh

Magess

Re: silverjman
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 05:03:33 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
that above guest post was me,   "the hulk"  who has enough time to consider watching that movie.  I hold pete is a nerd with potential to be cool, as you can see this is a big thing for me as someday I hope to achieve it, he doesn't come off as a nerd in later comics.  TM is just always going to be a tool (oooh I know).  The hulk why???? I thought Daredevil was a cool idea but couln't get through the first 1/2 hour and I don't hate Ben Affleck.  I just hate when good movie ideas are made into junk.

Have you tried the Director's Cut for Daredevil? I just watched it the other night, and it was a cohesive movie. I'm pretty sure I left the theatrical version feeling disappointed, but that wasn't the case with the Director's Cut. They still needed to leave out the wire work, but the storylines actually came together at the end.

quitabandita

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 09:12:07 AM »
i have to agree about spiderman (both movies) being totally stupid.  i hated these movies, actually walked out of the second one.  i can't understand all the adoration for them.  

toby m sucks, kirsten d sucks (and is it just me or does her head seem way bigger than her body?).  the stories are stupid, spiderman walks around feeling all angsty about the burdon of superherodom which is just so darn sexy (right)  and the movies are CGIed to death.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 06:28:20 PM »
It seems a little petty to complain about the spider-bite and how Peter Parker got the web-ability. Every film adapatation has some details changed from it's source material, it is not sensible or practical to be 100% true to the comic book. Sam Raimi is a big Spider-Man fan, I'm sure he made those two changes for good reasons. As for Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst, I think they get way too much criticism for these their performances in the movies. Are these Oscar-worth roles? No, far from it. But they get the job done, and do it well enough for the rest of the two Spider-Man films to work.