Author Topic: Top 5 popular movies you refuse to watch  (Read 11521 times)

Tom the Drunk

Top 5 popular movies you refuse to watch
« on: February 05, 2008, 12:15:08 PM »
Movies you refuse to see, even though a lot of people told you it was good you stil lwon't give it a chance.  Stuff that everyone went out to see early but hated like Pearl Harbor wouldn't qualify.....

OK, not sure how to define "popular".......maybe box office gross?

BTW - is there an inflation adjusted all time box office gross list out there?  I would love to see it.  Average movie ticket price must be available for most years.

anyway....

Mrs. Doubtfire (I hate Robin Williams doing anything "funny," yet I think he is a great dramatic actor)
Grease (you are not the one I love)
Jerry McGuire (I ain't showing you shit)
Sister Act (a habit I'd like to kick)
Top Gun (I don't need to be anyone's wingman that bad)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Top 5 popular movies you refuse to watch
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
BTW - is there an inflation adjusted all time box office gross list out there?

Box Office Mojo has the top 100.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Tom the Drunk

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »
BTW - is there an inflation adjusted all time box office gross list out there?

Box Office Mojo has the top 100.

pixote

Nice!  Thank you!

íKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:13:49 PM »
1. Gone with the Wind
2. The Sound of Music
3. Doctor Zhivago
4. Shrek the Third
5. can't really think of a 5th

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »
i won't refuse any
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:16:27 PM »
I'm more emblematic of a lack of effort.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

choatime

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:19:25 PM »
I don't know if there is a film that would say that I refuse to see.  I have absolutely no desire to see things like Meet the Spartans, but really this is based more on there being so many more films that I do want to see that the effort require to watch it is not worth it.

I still haven't seen Titanic, but this is not due to some stance against the film.  It comes to mind simply because I feel like the odds of me having not seen it seem so small.  I'll see it eventually, and I think I will probably even like it, but I just haven't felt the need to have seen it yet.

I would never have seen Jerry Maguire if my undergrad A/V job had not required me to show it on campus to other people, but it turned out that I liked it a lot.

Also, I would say that while the quality of Top Gun does not make it worth watching, from an historical perspective and the ability to critique popular culture it is something that should be seen.  There's really no downside to watching it beyond the opportunity cost of not being able to watch something better during that time.  It's not going to make you dumber.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
5.  Mission Impossible III - I went with a crowd to see MI I and hated it.  I know III is supposed to be better but I can't get over that Tom Cruise hurdle.  I really can't stand him.

4.  Braveheart - Never got around to seeing it, can't work up any interest in it.

3.  Passion of the Christ - Just sounds unbearable.

2.  Most Woody Allen movies.  I admit that Match Point sounds interesting.  I've seen a few here and there, but I never go out of my way to.  I just don't think he's funny in his "comedies", I hate his voice, and I have a hard time getting past my repugnance over the Mia Farrow-Soon Yi situation, which still creeps me out.

1.  Roman Polanski movies.  I don't think I've ever seen them, I might see one some day but there are too many other interesting movies to see and I'm just not that interested in someone who, again, has personal stuff that creeps me out.  It's not an absolute moral boycott or anything, just that given a choice between The Pianist and another movie, I'll pick the movie that won't inevitably lead to me to think about the kind of person who would have sex with a barely-teenaged girl.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »
I can't get over that Tom Cruise hurdle.  I really can't stand him.

Oh, yay!! Thank you so much for saying that.  :)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 02:42:35 PM »
I keep seeing movies "in spite of" Tom Cruise and liking them less than I would otherwise "because of" Tom Cruise.  Latest examples:  War of the Worlds and Collateral (I've retyped the latter about 5 times and it still keeps looking wrong).  I never have seen Magnolia and that's probably another "in spite of" that I'll get around to one of these days.