love

Author Topic: Beginners' Marathon #2: The Man Who Knew Too Much  (Read 5331 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: Beginners' Marathon #2: The Man Who Knew Too Much
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »
I only watched the Jimmy Stewart/Doris Day version, and I have to say that this be my least favorite Hitchcock film.  I didn't find the story compelling.  I felt that it went on way too long.  I didn't like that the story had to fit in Doris Day's singing, which was annoying to begin with, and completely unnecessary.  Like
Colleen, I found the sedation scene to be ridiculous.  I really disliked this film to the point where it made me angry, which doesn't happen a lot in films.   
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 03:33:07 PM »
Que sera sera.  :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »
Que sera sera.  :)

Arrgh. Thanks for putting that song in my head now.

I only watched the Jimmy Stewart/Doris Day version, and I have to say that this be my least favorite Hitchcock film.  I didn't find the story compelling.  I felt that it went on way too long.  I didn't like that the story had to fit in Doris Day's singing, which was annoying to begin with, and completely unnecessary.  Like
Colleen, I found the sedation scene to be ridiculous.  I really disliked this film to the point where it made me angry, which doesn't happen a lot in films.  

I haven't been able to re-watch the later version yet (saw it years ago and liked it then, but at that point in my life, any movie was a treat  :) ), and I haven't been able to post my thoughts about the earlier version yet - I liked it quite a bit though, and I'd be curious to hear what you think about that earlier one. I think you might like it better.

RSCDoug

• South Jersey Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »
I only watched the Jimmy Stewart/Doris Day version, and I have to say that this be my least favorite Hitchcock film.  I didn't find the story compelling.  I felt that it went on way too long.  I didn't like that the story had to fit in Doris Day's singing, which was annoying to begin with, and completely unnecessary. 

Hitchcock did not "fit" in Doris Day's singing...It was part of the remade script.  He needed to find an actress that could actually sing...It was brought in to emphasize the role of marriage...The good Dr. forces his wife to quit what she loves, in this case singing, in order for their relationship to work.  The fact that she is repeatedly recognized and praised for her singing makes Ben's request that much more damaging...

See through the kidnapping and take a look at the role of a 50's marriage as portrayed by Hitch...It's as suspenseful as the movie itself...Dr. Ben treats his no differently than his child for the whole movie, and in the end it is her strength that saves the day...Which emasculates him and forces even bigger problems in an already struggling marriage...

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 07:19:49 PM »
From Top 5 Movies that made you LOVE movies....

3. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

pixote

You need to speak up more often.
A$AP Fables

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 11:50:25 PM »
You need to speak up more often.

Heh.  I haven't watched this version of The Man Who Knew Too Much since I was in fourth grade, so I didn't have much to contribute in this thread (though I did manage a few nonsense posts above).  Anyway, I've long refused to rewatch this on tv or dvd.  It'll take a 35mm screening.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad