Author Topic: Top 5 Off-putting Actors  (Read 40102 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Top 5 Off-putting Actors
« on: February 09, 2008, 02:39:10 AM »
The Pelican Brief is on TNT right now.  I'd forgotten that Tony Goldwyn was even in this movie, but once I saw him, I instinctively wanted to change the channel.  I didn't even realize I had a problem with him, but there it is.  Is it just because he was the bad guy in Ghost?  Or because that character was so annoying?  I don't know.

But it seemed like an idea for a list.  I'm hoping the emphasis will be less on hate than on just a general uneasinees (though I can see how there might be some overlap).

5. Catherine Keener
4. Tony Goldwyn
3. Glenn Close
2. Paul Giamatti
1. Andie MacDowell

...though I did warm to Keener during Into the Wild, at least for a moment.

There was a time when every list would have been likely to include Juliette Lewis.  Has that era passed?  We'll see.

pixote
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:42:36 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 Off-putting Actors
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
Catherine Keener would totally be on my list.  I don't know if I could do 5 but my number one would easily be...

1.  Julianne Moore

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »
Moore and McConaughey were my six and seven.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Rorsky

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »
1. Cameron Diaz
Even when she isn't horrible (Vanilla Sky, Being John Malkovich, In Her Shoes, she's consistently annoying.

2. Ron Eldard
Can't put me my finger on it, but something about him just bugs me.

3. Vince Vaughn
His "I'm so much cooler than you" vibe is a constant distraction.

4. Gary Oldman
He can be great, but I sometimes get the feeling he thinks he's as great as we do, and i find some of his expressions a bit irritating. His only flat out terrible performance is in True Romance, that was off-putting because he was so phony and obnoxious.

5. Tommy Lee Jones
Also, he can be great, but there isn't a single Tommy Lee Jones performance where I don't have to try hard to appreciate what he's doing. His old fashioned, in control facade is so present in every single role, you have to concentrate to see if he's really doing anything. He's had a good run lately, but I can do with just about anything where he's in law enforcement.
Well, that's just like your. . . opinion, man.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »
I would agree with Cameron Diaz, I thought of her first.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

shogunt

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 06:57:50 AM »
This one's easy for me.  It's been basically the same for years.

1. Dermot Mulroney
2. Matthew McConaughey(spelled wrong I'm sure)
3. Jared Leto
4. Patrick Dempsey
5. Hugh Grant

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 01:27:29 PM »
1. Andie MacDowell-With the exception of a few films (Groundhog Day, sex, lies, & videotape, and Short Cuts), I just can't stand her.

2. Cameron Diaz-unless she's in the hands of a competent director like Martin Scorsese, Curtis Hanson, or Spike Jonze.  She's just mostly one-note and annoying.

3. Jared Leto-I only liked him in The Thin Red Line because his role is brief.  Most of the time, he is just annoying and tries so hard to be dramatic (I should note I haven't seen Requiem for a Dream and I'm sorry). 

4. Helen Hunt-I just can't stand her completely.  I did like her in Waterdance but that's it. 

5. Annette Benning-if she's playing some part like in American Beauty or Running with Scissors, she's bloody awful.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »

5.  Helena Bonham-Carter--not a bad actress, there's just...something...off about her for me.

4.  Andie McDowell--definitely in on the hate.  She always sounds like she's reading off a cue card to me.

3.  Juliette Lewis -- Like nails on a chalkboard

2.  Gerard Depardieu -- he just...ewww.

1.  Tom Cruise--I. Just. Can't. Stand. Him.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 04:50:43 PM »
5. Jonah Hill
4. Uma Thurman
3. Peter Sarsgaard
2. Zach Braff
1. Brad Pitt

I'm not sure if this is the right list for this topic. They all annoy the crap out of me though, that's for sure.
A$AP Fables

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »
McConaughey, Cruise, MacDowell (can we even call what she does acting?!), and Diaz are four I thought of as well - I'll leave them off and put up some possibly more provocative names.

I'm not sure if this is the right list for this topic. They all annoy the crap out of me though, that's for sure.
I'll say the same for my list, Basil:

5. Leonardo DiCaprio - I'm afraid I still haven't recovered from The Titanic. I liked him in What's Eating Gilbert Grape - and there my like ended.
4. Hilary Swank - she just BUGS me - not sure if I can articulate why
3. Robert Redford - I love a lot of the films he's in; I just can't stand him - he seems so smug. I kinda can't get over that he cast himself as the cool guy the married woman falls for in The Horse Whisperer and the husband is made out to be such a schmuck. For once, I'd like him to be the schmuck husband.
2. Charlton Heston - he just has a weird way of moving his body - makes me uncomfortable.
1. Keira Knightley - I think my annoyance with her is well-documented.  :)