love

Author Topic: Top 5 Off-putting Actors  (Read 40088 times)

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
Re: Top 5 Off-putting Actors
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 01:09:40 PM »
Joaquin Phoenix is my kryptonite.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Zakk89

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »
5. Luke Wilson - Everytime he is onscreen he gives me the sense that he knows we are watching him... i dont really know how to explain it but its there and it bothers me.

4. Julianne Moore - She just has a very strange delivery that seems awkward as in Children of Men.  im so glad it wasnt her and clive owen the whole movie, or it wouldnt be in my top 5. for more Julianne Moore badness see The Forgotten.

3. Cuba Gooding Jr. - He is off putting becuase of the massive amounts of desparation and lost potential delivered in every line.

2. Anyone with a Fake Boston Accent - (Almost) Nothing is more off-putting than an actor trying to show range by adopting a see-through Boston accent.  I.e. everyone in Mystic River.

1. Laura Linney - I cannot stand her.  She sucks every ounce of fun off the screen like a vacuum.  Her part in Man of the Year made me vow to never again pay for a movie she is in.
- Zakk W.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »
Great list, Zakk89

Make #2. Anyone with a fake Texas accent.

And add:

Minner Driver
Texan Down Under

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 10:17:34 PM »

3. Cuba Gooding Jr. - He is off putting becuase of the massive amounts of desparation and lost potential delivered in every line.

Dammit, I should've put him in my list.  He was so bloody awful in Men of Honor.  He's not a great dramatic actor and him trying to be dramatic is terrible.  He also overacts in the worst ways.  He's definitely a turn-off. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 12:53:03 PM »

2. Anyone with a Fake Boston Accent - (Almost) Nothing is more off-putting than an actor trying to show range by adopting a see-through Boston accent.  I.e. everyone in Mystic River.

But it was hillarious when Martin Sheen turned "microprocessors" into the longest word in the english accent in Departed.  Quite a fun quote around IST people ;D

I completltly agree with Ron Eldard and I can put my finger on it... he is the worst actor in everything he's ever been in.  Almost singlehandedly wrecked The House of Sand and Fog.

Juliette Styles - worst part of the bourne series.
Freddy Prince Jr - don't think any additional comment is needed.
Kevin Costner - maximum blandness
Thomas Janes - Costner protoge
Dennis Quaid - poor man's Harrison Ford.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 12:55:15 PM »
Kevin Costner - maximum blandness

Where is my brain? He has got to be my all-time off-putting actor. Ugh.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »

Any Boston accent, or merely the working class Boston accent? I personally can't get enough of anybody trying to do a Kennedy-style Boston accent, whether they butcher it or not. I just love it.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

shogunt

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 07:16:14 AM »
1. Greg Kinnear

Greg Kinnear was tops on my list until he did Auto Focus. He was awesome in that. Not so bad in Unknown, either.

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Thomas Janes - Costner protoge

He just wants his kids back! (That's an Arrested Development reference.  For the cool people)

5) Sandra Bullock- Its that voice.  That horrible, grating, all-enveloping voice.  Every time I see her in a movie, I feel like I'm on a cross-country car ride with the sister-in-law I loathe.

4) M. Emmet Walsh- I've actually hated this guy since I was a kid watching the old Flash TV series, where he played Barry Allen's father.  He delivers his lines like a drunk uncle, lumbering off the couch and back into the kitchen.  The one thing I ever enjoyed him in was the "Someone hates these cans!" scene from The Jerk.  He even ruins Blood Simple for me, and I'm a Coens sycophant.

3) William Hurt- Blandness personified.  Costner's got nothing on him.

2) Jennifer Connley- I don't know if I so much dislike her as much as the movies she chooses.  Where all of her earlier (post-child acting) movies seemed to feature ways for her to take her clothes off, her later movies all feature horrible things happening to miserable people.  Its like she's atoning for her earlier nudie-centric movies by choosing SERIOUS, IMPORTANT movies.  One is trashy and the other is pretentious.

1) Renee Zelwigger- I hate her face.  I have never hated anyone, especially someone I've never met, as much as her.  I hate that strained, constipated look she gives to express every emotion.  I don't mean this to sound as misogynist as it sounds, but I want to hit her in the face with a frying pan.  I simply cannot stand her.

I should also say that Jack Nicholson (always the same character, and that character isn't very interesting) and Tom Cruise (that high pitched scream he does in every movie gets on my nerves) just barely missed my list.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:30:00 AM by JAGII »

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 09:32:11 AM »
As for the Scientology thing, yeah, I admit it's weird, but nobody gives the same shit to Jason Lee, Beck, or Nancy Cartwright. My God, it's not like Voo-Doo or Snakehandling.

Oh, its just so hip to hate Snakehandling now! If you don't like getting bit by snakes, stop sinning.  Simple as that.

:P