love

Author Topic: Murder by Death  (Read 4542 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Murder by Death
« on: February 14, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »
This is one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid and my grandparents first got cable.  For some reason they were able to receive HBO for free and Murder by Death was one of those movies that always seemed to be on.  I enjoyed it at the time but barely understood what the references were.

For those unfamiliar, it's a parody of the all-star cast Agatha Christie type mystery movies, in which mysterious gazillionaire (Truman Capote) invites a bunch of famous detectives to his mansion for some sort of mysterious gathering.  They have knockoffs of Sam Spade (Peter Falk), Charlie Chan (Peter Sellers), Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot (can't remember) and Nick and Nora Charles (David Niven & Maggie Smith) plus each detective has someone else with him and there are hapless servants, the blind butler (Alec guiness and Nancy Walker). 

I watched it again a couple of years ago and it just got better now that I get all the jokes and references.  It's a bit of a mess in terms of the actual plot but that's somewhat intentional I think and anyway the plot is hardly the point.  I love the way all the characters are parodied (the casting is perfect) and the actors all seem to be having fun. 

Apparently the movie was a pretty big hit when it came out in 1976 but it's fallen off the radar almost completely.  I am thrilled that it is on Netflix's Watch it now lineup and hope that helps it find some new fans.

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
Re: Murder by Death
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »
I remember sneaking out of bed with my cousin and hiding behind the couch while my aunt and uncle watched this movie on TV.  I thought it was hilarious as a kid and have wanted to rewatch it, but I've had that fear that it wouldn't hold up.  I'm glad to hear that its still funny.  I've had it in my Queue for literally years, but the Watch It Now will certainly help move it up the list.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 11:39:25 AM »
There is stuff that is definitely funny to a kid, because there's a lot of physical comedy and silliness but there's a whole other level to appreciate once you have more literacy in the films/books they are parodying in that movie.  Love to hear what you think when you get around to re-watching.

Matt Singer

• Filmspotting: Streaming Video Unit
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:34:17 PM »
Murder by Death = quality.  I second this recommendation.
-Matt Singer
Co-host, Filmspotting: SVU
FilmspottingSVU.com
Matt on Twitter
Termite Art

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:11:44 AM »
As an avid mystery buff, I love this film. I read all the Hercule Poirots and Sherlock Holmes novels a couple times over by third grade and watched (and loved) The Thin Man and Maltese Falcon not too long afterwards. Unlike some parody/spoof films, this one really holds up.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
is funny

etopp

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
Lots of cheesy "dad" jokes but the great cast (especially David Niven, Maggie Smith and Peter Falk) make it enjoyable.

One of Elsa (Bride of Frankenstein) Lanchester's last films.

Tenenbaums

• Ashvegas
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
"Ahh...Two Two Twain."

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »
I was thinking fondly of this recently upon learning of the death of Peter Falk. I actually saw this as a teenager, and for me it actually served as a primer for the works it parodied, as it wasn't till later that I watched the Thin Man movies, the Agatha Christie works on PBS, and The Big Sleep. I never did see Clue, but I couldn't imagine it being as enjoyable as this one.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »
Clue is pretty awesome.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

love