love

Poll

What was the most surprising result of this year's Filmspots?

"I'm Not There" for Ensemble Cast
"Persepolis" over "Ratatouille" for Animated Film
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" over "The Lives of Others" for Non-English Language Film
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" for Adapted Screenplay
"Atonement" winning nothing
"The Darjeeling Limited" winning Art Direction
Roger Deakins winning Best Cinematography

Author Topic: Filmspots 2007: Official Winners  (Read 18655 times)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Filmspots 2007: Official Winners
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 01:02:23 AM »
wow, love the detail (and i found my dot!).  Agreed, many thanks.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 02:52:20 AM »
And Ratatouille loosing best animated film? I'm beginning to loose faith in my fellow filmspotting listeners.

Have you seen Persepolis yet?  Or was Ratatouille just that good?

Only 9 of my votes actually ended up winning and most of them in performances.

Not to get you down, but it was actually only 8, not 9. :P

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 03:35:27 AM »
I'll never forget the reaction to Ratatoullie losing in best animated film. I'll call it the "Marissa Tomei Memorial Moment". Classic.

Basil: Let's move quickly to Animated Film!
wombat: not uninteresting
j5er: SIMPSONS!
chesterfilms: no way
roujin: hmmm ratatouille
Junior: Ratatouille
thevoid99: Ratatouille
chesterfilms: did we do best animated yet?
El_Duderino: Ratatouille, duh
pixote:
The nominees for BEST ANIMATED FILM are:
     PAPRIKA
     PERSEPOLIS
     RATATOUILLE
     THE SIMPSONS MOVIE
El_Duderino: wait
El_Duderino: Paprika, duh
chesterfilms: the rat
El_Duderino: that's a masterpiece
j5er: D'OH!
chesterfilms: pixars best
pixote: i liked persepolis a hair more than ratatouille
roujin: millennium actress is better
pixote: but i'd rather wach paprika again right now
El_Duderino: agreed
roujin: so much better
Basil: Ratatouille is so beloved, for good reason
roujin: I liked paprika a lot
Basil: SILENCE
chesterfilms: love it so haed!
El_Duderino: Millennium Actress is great as well, yes
Wilson: i haven't seen Paprika or Persepolis :(
Junior: Wall-E has this on lockdown next year!
pixote: * d-d-d-d-rumroll *
Basil: The Filmspot for Best Animated Film goes to ................................. PERSEPOLIS! :clap:
El_Duderino: (though I don't like Tokyo Godfather's as much)
El_Duderino: wtf?
chesterfilms: i love ratatouille so hard!!! i love ratatouille so hard!!! i love ratatouille so hard!!! i love ratatouille so hard!!! i love ratatouille so hard!!! i love ratatouille so hard!!! i love ratatouille so hard!!! i love ratatouille so hard!!! i love ratatouille so hard!!!
roujin: wtfu
roujin: NO
roujin: NONO
chesterfilms: what!!!!!
wombat: surprising
roujin: NONO
faceboy: wow
Junior: SURPRISE!
El_Duderino: what are the numbers on this?
lise: persepolis is playing here next week
smirnoff: wtfbbq! NO
thevoid99: wow... another surprise
pixote:
     Persepolis - 36.4%
     Ratatouille - 35.6%
     Paprika - 21.1%
     The Simpsons Movie - 6.9%
faceboy: i'm very surprised
Basil: huh?
j5er: boo
chesterfilms: :skull:
lise: can't wait
thevoid99: By how much?
j5er: OMG, no love for Simpsons!
roujin: I want to eat people
dracula has entered at 8:47 pm
pixote: down to the very last ballot
thevoid99: That was close
El_Duderino: god #$%^&* it
wombat: i guess the superdelagates weighed in
roujin: :(
chesterfilms: :cry:
roujin: hahaha
El_Duderino: I hate most people
lise: do hey taste good?
chesterfilms: :nono:
Basil: :beer:
pixote: hey, drac, you just missed the biggest upset so far
roujin: :(
chesterfilms: :huh:
pixote: persepolis over ratatouille
El_Duderino: persepolis over Paprika
roujin: gah!@!!
dracula: sweet
chesterfilms: time for another shot!!!
roujin: What's happening
roujin: what's happening right now
lise: lol
wombat: moved on from beer to tequila, eh?
faceboy: maybe you should start in with some boilermakers
El_Duderino: I moved on to milk
thevoid99: :java:
Basil: Let's all forget about this little tiff and talk about the Best Line of the year!
roujin: I moved on to my tears...

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 04:27:10 AM »
BOO!
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:13:37 AM »
So much action I missed last night.

Good job guys.  I take it you'll be around on Sunday.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 12:01:05 PM »
TOTALLY AWESOME!!!
 THANKS SO MUCH PIXOTE AND BASIL
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »
Although I was rooting hard for Gordon Pinsent, I can understand his losing to Daniel Day-Lewis.  There are, however, a few awards I just don't understand:

1.  No Country for Old Men losing Best Editing.  As I've said a couple times already, Bourne's editing is flashier but nowhere near as effective as that of No Country.  The Waterloo Station sequence is good, yes, but the amnesiac flashbacks, for example, are embarrassing at times.

2.  Grindhouse losing Best Trailer to The Dark Knight.  Seeing Heath as The Joker is cool, but the Dark Knight trailer as a whole is kind of middling, in my opinion.  The Grindhouse trailer, on the other hand, is like a short film unto itself and not only got me excited to see the film but got me in the right state of mind to see the film.  The Batman one more just coasts along on pre-existing hype.

3.  The Bathhouse fight from Eastern Promises winning Most Kickass Scene.  I can't totally judge this one since I had heard about this scene before seeing it and that no doubt dampened its kickassery.  Putting aside that caveat though, this scene wasn't in my top four of the seven nominees.  How could Dog Chase in River possibly finish in last?  Were you all conspiring to hurt me?

4.  The King of Kong over Sicko.  I understand this one more than the three above, I suppose, but it still baffles me that people couldn't enjoy Sicko the same way they enjoyed The King of Kong, free of extratextual baggage.  Sicko is a funnier,  more extertaining film, and better put-together film.  I expect that'll be clear to viewers twenty years from now.

5.  There Will Be Blood winning Best Line.  Okay, I actually get this one, but it still bothers me, and I'm not even sure why.  Maybe it's because I feel guilty about combining "I drink your millkshake" and "I'm finished" on the ballot.

What choices baffle you all the most?

pixote
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:24:28 PM by pixote »

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 12:13:12 PM »
i wish i would have been in chat last night, it looks like it was a blast.  all the data break-downs are CAF!

i cast my official vote for being most surprised Atonement won nothing - especially Sound - but I am really most surprised that Juno won Best Original Screenplay over I'm Not There.  Please explain how Juno is remotely ORIGINAL?  Oh, The Masses.

I love, love, love pixote's quote:

I scoff at your niche mainstream tastes...I scoff at your niche elitism.

big LOL.

I am pretty sure I did not vote for I'm Not There for Best Ensemble, but I should have - I think that is the right choice - nicely done Masses.

What was the breakdown for Documentary?  I'm not too surprised SiCKO didn't win, though a bit disappointed; I do think The King of Kong was a solid film (Top 3 of the nominees).

Again, awesome job Pix and Basil AND everyone who participated :)  Can't wait 'til the 2001s start! Now I need to find myslef on the graph :)

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »
Although I was rooting hard for Gordon Pinsent, I can understand his losing to Daniel Day-Lewis.  There are, however, a few awards I just don't understand:

1.  No Country for Old Men losing Best Editing.  As I've said a couple times already, Bourne's editing is flashier but nowhere near as effective as that of No Country.  The Waterloo Station sequence is good, yes, but the amnesiac flashbacks, for example, are embarrassing at times.

The editing choice is the only one I think is flat-out wrong.  I voted for I'm Not There, but any of the nominees would be better than Bourne.

Adapted Screenplay is my only other major disagreement, but I'm not that upset about it.

Helvetica is better than any of those other documentaries.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 12:35:02 PM »

Yeah, I was part of the Pinsent loss, I fear.  I think this was the only category that I thought all the nominees were stellar (aside from Bale, cuz I didn't see that one).

I voted for Bourne and was well-aware that I was buying into editing as lots of editing.  This was my favorite film of the nominees and the editing didn't stick out as a problem, so that is how I made my choice there.  I know that if I were to watch each film for editing (as the category demands, though realistically probably won't be done by about anyone) I would not be surprised if I would choose a different winner.

2.  Grindhouse losing Best Trailer to The Dark Knight.  Seeing Heath as The Joker is cool, but the Dark Knight trailer as a whole is kind of middling, in my opinion.  The Grindhouse trailer, on the other hand, is like a short film unto itself and not only got me excited to see the film but got me in the right state of mind to see the film.  The Batman one more just coasts along on pre-existing hype.

Totally agree.  This was one of the easiest categories to judge cuz it took only 15min of watching all the nominees back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back - such a great trailer!

3.  The Bathhouse fight from Eastern Promises winning Most Kickass Scene.  I can't totally judge this one since I had heard about this scene before seeing it and that no doubt dampened its kickassery.  Putting aside that caveat though, this scene wasn't in my top four of the seven nominees.  How could Dog Chase in River possibly finish in last?  Were you all conspiring to hurt me?

Again, I totally agree, it was my #6 out of 7.  I chose Waterloo - man that was CINECASTing awesome.  Dog River was cool, but not as cool as Grindhouse's head on collision - which my my close second, but had qualms about choosing it as a fashion of violence pick.  The Ratatouille pick was another close second, really third, but second considering the fashion of violence critique.  Anywho, I hadn't heard about the bathhouse fight before seeing the movie and while it was interesting, it didn't really grab me in the moment as anything special, though I think it kinda is.

4.  The King of Kong over Sicko.  I understand this one more than the three above, I suppose, but it still baffles me that people couldn't enjoy Sicko the same way they enjoyed The King of Kong, free of extratextual baggage.  Sicko is a funnier,  more extertaining film, and better put-together film.  I expect that'll be clear to viewers twenty years from now.

Again, I totally agree.  SiCKO is better.  For so many reasons.  It seems pretty clear there is a lot of Michael Moore baggage from people with this film (evidence chatter on the boards).  Hopefully, people do eventually come around to this film, and Michael Moore.

5.  There Will Be Blood winning Best Line.  Okay, I actually get this one, but it still bothers me, and I'm not even sure why.  Maybe it's because I feel guilty about combining "I drink your millkshake" and "I'm finished" on the ballot.

I am Pixote, I have like 10,000 posts.  This line was so not great in the film and the way it has been taken up is tiring. C'est la vie.

love