Author Topic: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory  (Read 4497 times)

Magess

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
« on: July 15, 2005, 10:39:13 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves curling away uncomfortably every time Johnny smiles in the trailers?

I love Johnny, I do, but the look on his face makes me think "bad touch". I thought the movie would be going for creepy, but not that kind of creepy. Does anyone know how Wonka comes across in the book?

Emelie

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 03:04:39 PM »
his smile in the trailer is pretty creepy, yeah .. But I still think the movie is great though  :P

DaverJ

Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 06:22:30 PM »
Quote from: "Magess"
Is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves curling away uncomfortably every time Johnny smiles in the trailers?

When you see the movie, you will find out there's a reason for the creepy smile.   :shock:

...and it's worth a full price ticket - marvelous stuff.   8)

waterbisctuit

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:41:30 PM »
That movie was awesome. AMAZING. Seeing it quite a few more times.

Hawkeye

• Laughter is the best medicine
Wonka
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 10:31:19 PM »
I haven't seen the new movie but by the looks of the trailer I just don't see how Johnny Depp can portray a better Willy Wonka than Gene Wilder in the original.
Soitenly yours,

Freddie

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 03:50:50 AM »
I think people are giving this film too hard a time... i mean if the first film never came out there would be no preconceptions of what it should look and feel like. It was left up to Burton to put on the screen his vision.... and i greatly look forward to seeing it... :)

slate me if i'm wrong!!!!

DaverJ

Re: Wonka
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 07:08:50 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
I haven't seen the new movie but by the looks of the trailer I just don't see how Johnny Depp can portray a better Willy Wonka than Gene Wilder in the original.

He doesn't - it's just different, different, albeit not as good.  Still a good movie though.

SonicChild

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 12:20:24 PM »
I just saw Charile And Choclate Factory..is it Tim Burtons best?...na but it is still a wonderful piece! Johnny Depp did a excellent job. I dont understand how so many that have reviewed this can compare Depp's character with Jacko or that it was dark. I just had a very good time with this film.
I say bravo.

livlab

• http://livlab.com
Sour candy
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 12:49:50 AM »
It sucked... so bad! Very disappointing. I'm a huge Burton fan and I love Johnny Depp's performances, but this was appalling. I watched the original too many years ago to remember so it's not because it didn't live up to my previous expectations.

First, it attempts to duplicate Edward Scisorhands in so many ways that Burton should have just gone ahead and done a sequel. But even at that it failed, because the story does not support the creepyness of Depp's performance nor the industrial, souless feel of the factory; while in Edward Scisorhands the house is totally plausible and really enhances the magic of the story, Charlie's factory fails miserably in bringing the feel of Charlie's realm to life.

It's also the worst film score I've heard in a long time (something Burton had done beautifully in Batman and Beetle Juice - two of my all time favourites). What the hell was that Oompa Loompa choreography supposed to be? Boring, tiring and tried. Did I mention boring?

There were excellent jokes throughout the film though. But not enough to save it. The parts with the family were really great and well done. A true family feeling (not at all a fake family feeling which is Chris Columbus' mastery). It made me smile and feel happy. But then I had to endure with the other 70% of the film with too fake a scenario and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy elevator in the back of my mind.

Overall, two stars out of five.