love

Author Topic: City of Men: Sequel to City of God?  (Read 15473 times)

Stocka

• Twitter
City of Men: Sequel to City of God?
« on: March 11, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »
City of God is one of my favourite films of all time, when I heard about City of Men I got hyped, but then noticed talk of it not being a sequel. I've read that it's set in the same location and a couple of characters from City of God are in it but the story is not a direct sequel. I've also read that it's based more on a tv series called City of Men.

Could you guys wrap this up for me please? Has anyone even seen it?
Top 5 Films Ever:
#1 The Good The Bad And The Ugly
#2 Seven Samurai
#3 City of God
#4 Blade Runner
#5 There Will Be Blood
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jamesstock
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=29981227

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: City of Men: Sequel to City of God?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »
City of Men is more a second installment than a sequel according to

http://au.movies.ign.com/articles/855/855080p1.html

which has a good review of the two films.
Texan Down Under

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
This film shouldn't even been in the same breath as City of God.  The producers used that as a way to get you into the theater whence you are subject to a bland movie of the week with tired use of faded film stocks.  The dialogue is awful and the plot draws havily on many many things that have been seen before.  Skip it (i guess its worth a rent if your still curious but i imagine you'll either turn it off or fall asleep 1/2 way through).

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »
This film shouldn't even been in the same breath as City of God.  The producers used that as a way to get you into the theater whence you are subject to a bland movie of the week with tired use of faded film stocks.  The dialogue is awful and the plot draws havily on many many things that have been seen before.  Skip it (i guess its worth a rent if your still curious but i imagine you'll either turn it off or fall asleep 1/2 way through).

Thanks for the heads up, City of God is a masterpiece IMO and I was highly skeptical of this from the start. 
Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

shogunt

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 10:14:42 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, City of God is a masterpiece IMO and I was highly skeptical of this from the start. 

Um, don't listen to just one guy's opinion. There are critics out there(Michael Phillips from Ebert & Roeper specifically) who think City of Men is actually better than City of God.  I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard enough to make me want to very badly. 

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not it's an original film or if it uses clips and scenes from the City of Men TV series, which I already have on DVD.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »
I agree - don't just take my word for it (though I would ;))  My friend whom was with when I saw it in fact quite liked it.  How is that TV show btw?  Never got around to seeing more than a few minutes of it.

It is 75% fresh @ RT but most of the critics who approved compared it infavorably to the CoG.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 12:04:26 PM »
If anything, the film just made me want to watch the TV show.

BrunoLTG

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »
Hi folks!

Talking about "hype". City of Men is actually a 4 or 5-season tv series that became a movie maybe to wrap-up the whole story. Although it has some of the same actors that actually were part of City of God,  I don´t think it can be considered as a sequel.

At least here in Brazil it wasn´t much sold as a sequel, once people knew that City of Men was a TV series made after the original City of God.