0 (0%)
No Sudden Move
0 (0%)
Kimi
0 (0%)
Magic Mike's Last Dance
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Soderbergh, Steven  (Read 22281 times)

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Re: Soderbergh, Steven
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2017, 02:18:55 AM »
Ocean's Eleven 9/10
The Girlfriend Experience 9/10
Contagion 9/10
Che 8/10
The Limey 8/10
sex, lies, and videotape 8/10
The Informant! 8/10
And Everything is Going Fine 7/10
Erin Brockovich 7/10
Haywire 7/10
Side Effects 7/10
Magic Mike 7/10
Ocean's Thirteen 7/10
Ocean's Twelve 6/10

Even though I haven't seen a masterpiece yet, he's probably the most fascinating American director that emerged during the rise of the Independent Movie Boom.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2017, 02:00:53 AM »
Ocean's Eleven 9/10
Out of Sight 9/10
The Girlfriend Experience 9/10
Contagion 8/10
Che 8/10
Logan Lucky 8/10
The Limey 8/10
sex, lies, and videotape 8/10
The Informant! 8/10
And Everything is Going Fine 7/10
Erin Brockovich 7/10
Haywire 7/10
Side Effects 7/10
Traffic 7/10
Magic Mike 7/10
Ocean's Thirteen 7/10
Ocean's Twelve 6/10

Even though I haven't seen a masterpiece yet, he's probably the most fascinating American director that emerged during the rise of the Independent Movie Boom.

Surprised by how much I didn't care for TRAFFIC at all. It's one third a good movie, one third an average movie, and one third a downright boring/bad movie.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2017, 11:32:40 PM »
Logan Lucky

There's a common complaint with Alexander Payne that he doesn't love his characters as much as he likes to hold them up for ridicule. I never subscribed to that with Payne and I never considered it with Soderbergh. From the young adult hangups of Sex, Lies and Videotape to the unusual details of the lives caught Behind the Candelabra to the working class struggles of Bubble, I never caught Soderbergh taking a superior position until Logan Lucky. Leaving the actors too much to their own instincts, there are some good performances and then there are the Bang Brothers, whose white trash stupidity is insulting. Competing with them is Seth MacFarlane, who couldn't be more of a blank presence if he'd written the part himself. The heist is reheated Ocean's with some amusing moments, but nothing that made me laugh. I liked the David Holmes score, but my overriding reaction was boredom.

Gray's Anatomy (1996)
And Everything is Going Fine (2010)
* * 1/2
I never knew what to make of Spalding Gray, a gifted storyteller who was something between a public speaker and a sit down version of a stand up comedian. Not a combination of the two, but something all its own, sitting directly in the middle. I don't know if there has ever been another like him (Garrison Keillor?), and it's a shame that Gray existed before Podcasting. Particularly after the clip show Soderbergh made with Everything, I have a tremendous appreciation for what made Gray so unique, but I remain detached from what he does, unlike the characters created by Eric Bogosian. Gray may have been a turn of the century Mark Twain, but it all sounds like pieces of one massive story with no real beginning or ending. A storyteller you can enter at any point and be carried along, walk away at any time with nothing profound that stays with you.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2017, 12:45:28 AM »
The start of your Logan Lucky review reminded me how much I hated The Limey. Any comparison there?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2017, 01:23:23 AM »
I can't think of any. The Limey was about taking a scene and putting it in 3 different locations, cutting between them. That was Soderbergh's interest more than character.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2018, 10:59:18 PM »
Unsane (2018)
★ ★ ½
The first half is quite good, with a commanding performance by Claire Foy that nicely has little in common with her work on The Crown. While I quickly felt confident that would hold all the way through (and it does), I was nervous about Soderbergh. He's not someone who like to play strictly within genre norms, even though he can be better at it than most. I figured the ending would blow up into full on Horror and slip through his fingers while he played with the question of Foy's sanity. Instead, he strips away the thrills and the film becomes more of a two-character drama in confined spaces, which is more to his style but it turns the temperature way down.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2021, 01:12:32 AM »
No Sudden Move (2021)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
I don't know why I was accepting the premise at face value. Probably because I watched no trailer and trusted that the cast was falling into a trap. Well, as the tagline says "Trust is a Setup." That's what I liked best here, everyone had a hidden agenda. Sometimes when they plot, it's just a cover plot for the real deception. (I can  ditch Suburbicon now because this pulls some of the same surprises with almost none of the social/racial politics.) Soderbergh's camera has never looked worse, but the David Holmes score is just what the script wants and the cast is smooth as aged bourbon.

love