Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 642938 times)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #3330 on: November 09, 2009, 05:07:35 PM »
I just thought I'd remind everyone that FLY has seen exceedingly few zombie films and doesn't understand most of the jokes in Shaun of the Dead (he just places the fault on the filmmakers for not making jokes that can be understood without context).
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3331 on: November 09, 2009, 05:09:41 PM »
Yet I've seen exceedingly few action films and Hot Fuzz is still hysterical.

EDIT: I try to bring this up when I mention how terrible Shaun of the Dead is as a film.

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #3332 on: November 09, 2009, 05:10:41 PM »
When you have en entire genre that has yielded likely one decent film with the majority of the rest being terrible, I'd call it pretty irrelevant.

What's the one decent film?

I was being generous and guessing that Zombieland doesn't completely suck because it has Jesse Eisenberg in there. However I have not seen it yet, so it's completely possible that it sucks as well.
:D Hey what does FLY stand for?

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #3333 on: November 09, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »

EDIT: I try to bring this up when I mention how terrible Shaun of the Dead is as a film.
I don't know if anyone disagrees, but I think it's fair to say that action tropes have more deeply penetrated pop culture at large than have zombie tropes and, as such, FLY could have picked up basic action knowledge from TV, for instance, without ever really having picked up on zombies (with few exceptions like Treehouse of Horror). This is all presuming that either he watched/watches things other than Disney or that Suite Life had a Die Hard episode.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3334 on: November 09, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »
When you have en entire genre that has yielded likely one decent film with the majority of the rest being terrible, I'd call it pretty irrelevant.

What's the one decent film?

I was being generous and guessing that Zombieland doesn't completely suck because it has Jesse Eisenberg in there. However I have not seen it yet, so it's completely possible that it sucks as well.
:D Hey what does FLY stand for?

I admire how blunt you are, but you should know that I cannot answer this question.

I don't know if anyone disagrees, but I think it's fair to say that action tropes have more deeply penetrated pop culture at large than have zombie tropes and, as such, FLY could have picked up basic action knowledge from TV, for instance, without ever really having picked up on zombies (with few exceptions like Treehouse of Horror). This is all presuming that either he watched/watches things other than Disney or that Suite Life had a Die Hard episode.

I have not seen Die Hard. Also, there are jokes in Hot Fuzz that are hysterical without the genre satire being a driving force, they are just funny bits or lines. Shaun of the Dead has none of those. Add in the fact that Hot Fuzz has a compelling narrative to coincide with a lovely visual style and biting wit and you have one Hell of a film. Once again, Shaun of the Dead has none of this except maybe the lovely visual style, but even that I do not see quite as much of as I see in Hot Fuzz.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3335 on: November 09, 2009, 05:24:16 PM »
What about the scene with Queen, the jukebox and the pool cues? Wasn't it glorious and funny all at once!?

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #3336 on: November 09, 2009, 05:25:53 PM »
What about the scene where they all meet their doubles?
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #3337 on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:36 PM »
What about the scene where they all meet their doubles?

I know you're a big fan, of the movie I mean, but did you get the in-joke to The Office contained in that scene?

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #3338 on: November 09, 2009, 05:36:24 PM »
I admire how blunt you are, but you should know that I cannot answer this question.
Poo. How have you gone through life without even catching Die Hard on TV?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #3339 on: November 09, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »
I'm a little late this time, but Colleen, you are too amazing. I need to find a way to better express my appreciation for you.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad