Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 316024 times)

DrKimble

• Elite Member
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #3400 on: November 16, 2009, 02:37:40 AM »
I think Jeff Bridges is a great actor, and he really shares the stage well, such as in The Fisher King and in Lebowski.  I much prefer him over Costner, in general.  However, both of them are better in understated performances than overstated.
I like the old Jeff Bridges so much more then the young Jeff Bridges. It's his ...
... way/rhythm of speaking, gestures, and facial expressions

Seeing Costner in a trailer, on a poster or reading his name in a review makes my inner alarm ring. Costner is so hit and miss it's unreal.
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #3401 on: November 16, 2009, 10:19:22 AM »
I don't remember ever liking Kevin Costner in a movie. I've liked movies he was in, but never Costner himself.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #3402 on: November 16, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »
I don't remember ever liking Kevin Costner in a movie. I've liked movies he was in, but never Costner himself.

Liked him best in Tin Cup and JFK
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #3403 on: November 16, 2009, 10:39:23 AM »

Liked him best in Tin Cup and JFK

Haven't seen Tin Cup. And I agree that JFK was the best I've seen of him, but I still don't think he was particularly great, and in some scenes he was downright bad.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #3404 on: November 16, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »

Liked him best in Tin Cup and JFK.  

Haven't seen Tin Cup. And I agree that JFK was the best I've seen of him, but I still don't think he was particularly great, and in some scenes he was downright bad.

I can't think of any scenes in JFK that were bad, per se - but I agree with you that  he wasn't particularily great either.  The acid test for me is if you could see someone else occupy that space in the movie and have it mean as much.  

It's funny if you look at his character in history, that dude was a pretty seedy character and his practices during this trail have been subject to an incredible amount of scrutiny in the years that followed.  The fact Stone cast Costner - who at the time was considered a squeeky-clean all-american type - was all you needed to know about Stone's take on the whole conspirital aspects of the case.  I think he occupied the character well.  Consider you didn't have many other people (Redford perhaps?) who had that same squeeky clean image.

Hey - Lest I forget.  Costner is perfect in The Untouchables - really his break-out role - and you have to give him a hall pass on Bull Durham.  Sorry, you just do
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #3405 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
Costner is hella great in Open Range.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #3406 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »
My mom sure likes him.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #3407 on: November 16, 2009, 11:14:32 AM »
I like your mom. (Probably not an unpopular movie opinion, unless she's Kevin Costner.)

I understand everything anyone ever says about Costner. He recites his lines like he's reading cue cards. He appears dead inside. He is wooden. He adds absolutely nothing to any scene he's in. He's worse than vanilla; he's tofu.

For whatever reason, I don't care. I like him. He does it for me. He tickles my taint, especially now that he's grizzled and paunchy and even more boring than he ever was.

Does that mean I want to sleep with him? No. But I do want be his best friend.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #3408 on: November 16, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »
Similarly, I like Mission: Impossible, the first movie. J and I just watched it last night, and throughout Jerry kept going, "This is so ridiculous. Why is the dialogue so heavy-handed?" (There is consistent "dialogue as exposition" problem throughout. Characters never talk to each other; they're constantly explaining stuff to the audience.)

I was like, "I don't care. Look at Cruise. He's so INTENSE!!!! Don't you just love that?"

Mission: Impossible, in my mind, was when people just started realizing that Cruise's two facial expressions were either clenched jaw or unclenched jaw. He still seemed boyishly giddy to be an action star. There are times, during the action sequences, that he seems genuinely surprised, like he isn't entirely in control of the situation.

The iconic hanging-from-the ceiling set-piece? Yes, it's mockable. Yes, it's ridiculously contrived. Yes, it is overwrought.

However, before last night, I didn't remember anything special about the sound design. I forgot how the silence of that scene enhances the suspense. How his acrobatics are accompanied by whispers. How feminine and delicate he looks hanging from his little trapeze.

Anyway. I liked it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:34:29 AM by alexarch »

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #3409 on: November 16, 2009, 11:54:13 AM »
My wife fell in love with Kevin Costner from No Way Out on so i have seen a number of his movies. I agree he is not the rangiest actor to ever seak a line but I am a baseball freak and he played one of my favorite baseball movie characters, Crash Davis. for that i have always given him a pass. Until the Postman. I remember watching that movie and thinking,"I am witnessing the end of this guys prime." to make a baseball analogy, he is now like a pitcher who has lost his fastball. you can trot him out there and he can be entertaining but the days of "We have to have Costner in this role!!!!" are over.