Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643001 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #3420 on: November 15, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »
and lately I find myself actively avoiding him 'cause that Jeff Bridges thing he does in most of his movies kind of gets on my nerves.
Is this thing a certain way/rhythm of speaking, gestures, and facial expressions?
Some combination of all of those I guess, I just feel like he has a shtick that he goes to all the time and to me it often feels smug. I don't hate him or anything, it just struck me in Adam and Matty's review of Goats when they said he's reason enough for them to see a movie.

I definitely recommend Door.  It's his best performance this side of American Heart which I assume you wasn't impressed by?
I'll check out Door, don't think I've seen the other one.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #3421 on: November 15, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »
and lately I find myself actively avoiding him 'cause that Jeff Bridges thing he does in most of his movies kind of gets on my nerves.
Is this thing a certain way/rhythm of speaking, gestures, and facial expressions?
Some combination of all of those I guess, I just feel like he has a shtick that he goes to all the time and to me it often feels smug. I don't hate him or anything, it just struck me in Adam and Matty's review of Goats when they said he's reason enough for them to see a movie.
Agree. 

I probably like him even less than you do.  If he's in a movie I instinctively think there must be something wrong with it.  Dunno why, but I just don't like him. 
The answers you seek are in Norway.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #3422 on: November 15, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »

I definitely recommend Door.  It's his best performance this side of American Heart which I assume you wasn't impressed by?
I'll check out Door, don't think I've seen the other one.

He plays an ex-con in American Heart, and his son (Edward Furlong) enters his life.  And considering the smug factor, I say hold off on Door and go with Heart first.  I think his work in Heart is the one in which he disappears into the most.

EDIT: To think about it, his character in both of those films are pricks (don't recall them as being particularly smug nor his portrayal, but they might be to you), but in Door it might go over better because of the reason he is why he is (i.e., character's past).  Also he's not just a prick through and through.  At the same time, Door might not go over better because his mannerisms and the like aren't too far from his other performances.  There's very little of that in Heart as I remember it.  So I don't know.   :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:55:16 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3423 on: November 16, 2009, 01:05:32 AM »
I think Jeff Bridges is a great actor, and he really shares the stage well, such as in The Fisher King and in Lebowski.  I much prefer him over Costner, in general.  However, both of them are better in understated performances than overstated.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #3424 on: November 16, 2009, 02:37:40 AM »
I think Jeff Bridges is a great actor, and he really shares the stage well, such as in The Fisher King and in Lebowski.  I much prefer him over Costner, in general.  However, both of them are better in understated performances than overstated.
I like the old Jeff Bridges so much more then the young Jeff Bridges. It's his ...
... way/rhythm of speaking, gestures, and facial expressions

Seeing Costner in a trailer, on a poster or reading his name in a review makes my inner alarm ring. Costner is so hit and miss it's unreal.
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #3425 on: November 16, 2009, 10:19:22 AM »
I don't remember ever liking Kevin Costner in a movie. I've liked movies he was in, but never Costner himself.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #3426 on: November 16, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »
I don't remember ever liking Kevin Costner in a movie. I've liked movies he was in, but never Costner himself.

Liked him best in Tin Cup and JFK
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #3427 on: November 16, 2009, 10:39:23 AM »

Liked him best in Tin Cup and JFK

Haven't seen Tin Cup. And I agree that JFK was the best I've seen of him, but I still don't think he was particularly great, and in some scenes he was downright bad.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #3428 on: November 16, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »

Liked him best in Tin Cup and JFK.  

Haven't seen Tin Cup. And I agree that JFK was the best I've seen of him, but I still don't think he was particularly great, and in some scenes he was downright bad.

I can't think of any scenes in JFK that were bad, per se - but I agree with you that  he wasn't particularily great either.  The acid test for me is if you could see someone else occupy that space in the movie and have it mean as much.  

It's funny if you look at his character in history, that dude was a pretty seedy character and his practices during this trail have been subject to an incredible amount of scrutiny in the years that followed.  The fact Stone cast Costner - who at the time was considered a squeeky-clean all-american type - was all you needed to know about Stone's take on the whole conspirital aspects of the case.  I think he occupied the character well.  Consider you didn't have many other people (Redford perhaps?) who had that same squeeky clean image.

Hey - Lest I forget.  Costner is perfect in The Untouchables - really his break-out role - and you have to give him a hall pass on Bull Durham.  Sorry, you just do
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #3429 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
Costner is hella great in Open Range.

love