Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643080 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #3600 on: November 26, 2009, 10:03:49 PM »
Jennifer Connelly is a bad actress.

Im not particularly fond of her. But I wouldnt say bad.What have you seen her in?

A Beautiful Mind, The Day the Earth Stood Still, He's Just Not that Into You, Labyrinth, Inventing the Abbotts, Hulk, Blood Diamond.

Yeah, I think her only performances I've really liked are in Requiem and Dark City.  I seem to remember liking her in Dark Water also, but I hated that movie.

I really enjoyed her in Labyrinth and she was okay in Dark City.  But I've always had the problem that she slightly overacts.  I just always notice her acting.  That's including Labyrinth, but that movie is so overacted by everyone, that it's just clear that they're all having a good time.

Yeah, I didn't really count Labyrinth, it's kinda its own thing.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #3601 on: November 26, 2009, 11:49:05 PM »
Jennifer Connelly is a bad actress.

Im not particularly fond of her. But I wouldnt say bad.What have you seen her in?

A Beautiful Mind, The Day the Earth Stood Still, He's Just Not that Into You, Labyrinth, Inventing the Abbotts, Hulk, Blood Diamond.

Yeah, I think her only performances I've really liked are in Requiem and Dark City.  I seem to remember liking her in Dark Water also, but I hated that movie.

I really enjoyed her in Labyrinth and she was okay in Dark City.  But I've always had the problem that she slightly overacts.  I just always notice her acting.  That's including Labyrinth, but that movie is so overacted by everyone, that it's just clear that they're all having a good time.

Yeah, I didn't really count Labyrinth, it's kinda its own thing.

haha no kidding. I guess I like her as an actress, but I tend to dislike her characters. Little Children and He's Just Not That Into You spring to mind.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

bananastand

« Reply #3602 on: November 27, 2009, 03:10:10 AM »
Okay

I think Raging Bull is overlong and boring and I don’t care what happens to a single character.

Bewitched isn’t completely terrible and Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman a great romantic pairing. I would love to see them together in something else.

Also the Descent isn’t one of the best horror movies ever. If it left out actually seeing the monsters and left things more ambiguous it may have been though.

flieger

« Reply #3603 on: November 27, 2009, 03:50:16 AM »
I think Raging Bull is overlong and boring and I don’t care what happens to a single character.
First off, welcome bananastand.
Second. I agree. Last time I watched it I was, frankly, embarrassed by De Niro's performance. It's like the logical end-result of method acting: humourless overacting. Mugging. Grimacing. Parading. Swearing.

Joe Pesci sucked, too.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #3604 on: November 27, 2009, 04:07:58 AM »
Second. I agree. Last time I watched it I was, frankly, embarrassed by De Niro's performance. It's like the logical end-result of method acting: humourless overacting. Mugging. Grimacing. Parading. Swearing.
Interesting. I never looked at it as method acting going too far but yeah, I can see that.
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #3605 on: November 27, 2009, 04:31:17 AM »
I'm not a fan of De Niro but his performance in Raging Bull is a powerhouse.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

flieger

« Reply #3606 on: November 27, 2009, 05:04:20 AM »
I'm not a fan of De Niro but his performance in Raging Bull is a powerhouse.
... bombastic, melodramatic-but-not-in-the-good-way, too insular, self-important...

*Hmmm, using all these adjectives is making me reconsider my position...*

bananastand

« Reply #3607 on: November 27, 2009, 05:04:29 AM »
Yeh it’s the problem with great dramatic actors. Sometimes they do the most moving performance and other times you can just see them acting and it seems unnatural and over the top. I don’t know which is worse someone who goes for subtlety and fails and looks wooden then someone who goes for everything and looks cartoonish. Sadly I think De Niro in most of his stuff of the past decade is just too over the top for my taste. Takes me out of the movie. That said sometimes huge performances are half the fun of watching a movie-Daniel Day Lewis

flieger

« Reply #3608 on: November 27, 2009, 05:09:30 AM »
Yeh it’s the problem with great dramatic actors. Sometimes they do the most moving performance and other times you can just see them acting and it seems unnatural and over the top. I don’t know which is worse someone who goes for subtlety and fails and looks wooden then someone who goes for everything and looks cartoonish. Sadly I think De Niro in most of his stuff of the past decade is just too over the top for my taste. Takes me out of the movie. That said sometimes huge performances are half the fun of watching a movie-Daniel Day Lewis
There's a point-in-case: Daniel Day Lewis knows what to bring to those huge characters, and how to bring them out. Has De Niro ever played a character like Daniel Plainview and pulled it off? (Untouchables...? Cape Fear...?)

bananastand

« Reply #3609 on: November 27, 2009, 05:17:27 AM »
I liked him in Cape Fear. That movie was just so over the top for me it worked. Also you shouldn't really compare most people to Daniel Day Lewis. Kind of unfair for them.

love