love

Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643311 times)

Adrienne

Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #5380 on: November 29, 2010, 09:35:40 AM »
In all seriousness though I wonder if it's easier for Australian actors to sound American than English.

What would either of you say as actual English speakers about the comparative gaps between English and American and English and Australian?

That's funny you should say that. I've always thought that American and Australian accents were closer together than any comparison with the English accent, but maybe that's just me.

My sister who lived in Tennessee and Georgia for a while said people just assumed she was Australian, so the London/Aussie accent must sound similar to Americans (and I always thought there was a connection between the criminal classes of London being shipped to Australia & the Oz accent{no offence but there is a similarity}).
However, there are so many English accents even over relatively small distances. What fascinates me is that two English actors who have such different accents like Idris Elba (pure South London accent) and Dominic West (plummy Public school accent) can pass for Baltimore natives; maybe I'm wrong about that but I can't recall anyone complaining about their accents in The Wire.

Then you turn that around and most Americans doing English accents are easily detectable (I'm looking at you Dick Van Dyke).
But then Gillian Anderson does brilliant Brit.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #5381 on: November 29, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »
What fascinates me is that two English actors who have such different accents like Idris Elba (pure South London accent) and Dominic West (plummy Public school accent) can pass for Baltimore natives; maybe I'm wrong about that but I can't recall anyone complaining about their accents in The Wire.

I have read mentions about their occasional vocal slipups not from mainstream publication commentators but from people offline and online.  Their pure accents don't come out, but every now and then it sounds like a mix between the two accents and their pronunciation/accent doesn't sound like from any region in the U.S. that I know of.  Baltimore accents on the show can be found in the actors who played Prop Joe, Snoop, Vice Principal Donnelly, Lieutenant Mello, and the middle school office clerk, for example.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:20:51 PM by Ver Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #5382 on: November 29, 2010, 06:53:28 PM »
Then you turn that around and most Americans doing English accents are easily detectable (I'm looking at you Dick Van Dyke).

To be fair, that is one of the worst attempts at an accent ever filmed.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #5383 on: November 29, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »
I find it charming.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #5384 on: November 29, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »

To be fair, that is one of the worst attempts at an accent ever filmed.

I know.......it was written as a joke.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #5385 on: November 29, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »
I find it charming.

I agree. It is both terrible and charming.

it was written as a joke.

I don't get how that works.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #5386 on: November 29, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #5387 on: December 09, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »
In all seriousness though I wonder if it's easier for Australian actors to sound American than English.

What would either of you say as actual English speakers about the comparative gaps between English and American and English and Australian?

That's funny you should say that. I've always thought that American and Australian accents were closer together than any comparison with the English accent, but maybe that's just me.

I love watching Six Feet Under and trying to catch Rachel Griffiths slipping into her Aussie accent. It's endearing.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

enzobot24

« Reply #5388 on: December 15, 2010, 05:48:43 AM »
Yup, I remember her slipping up a few times.
Most recent DVD purchase: A Very Long Engagement
Most recent Blu-ray purchase: Paprika

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5389 on: December 22, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
Out of the recent 2010 films I have seen, I think one of my reviews will baffle a lot of people but greatly please at least one filmspotter.