love

Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643056 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2008, 06:06:45 PM »
I think the unattractiveness of Seth Rogan is a huge part of the sexism present in the film. (No, he's not that bad-looking, but he's no hottie. **huge understatement alert** And he's certainly mismatched with Catherine Hegel on the attractiveness scale, don't you think?) Women become acceptable and valuable when they put on make-up and become physically attractive - Strictly Ballroom, Cinderella are good examples of that (also something like the Breakfast Club scenario which Ellen Page pointed out). The unattractive woman has to change her looks - and she does it primarily for men or they do it for her, Pygmalion-style, while men, like Rogan's character, can just be who they are.

Correct me if I'm misremembering the end of the film, but doesn't Rogan clean himself up, get a real job and a nice apartment in an effort to change himself to conform to Heigel's standards?  How is this different?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »
Clearly:  the loser (male) wins the winner (female).  Yes, this makes the film sexist.  I have other issues with Apatow's scripts also, but this portrait of the male/female relationship annoys me the most.

So you'd say that Pretty Woman is sexist against men?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »
And he's certainly mismatched with Catherine Hegel on the attractiveness scale, don't you think?)

Not really.  These things are subjective.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2008, 06:17:06 PM »
But I think you're mistaking sexism for his movies simply being the kind of stories he wants to tell.  In Knocked Up, he's interested in telling of the loser guy who "wins" the ideal girl.   

It's too simplistic to say that it's just the story he wants to tell - if his storyline was unique that would be one thing, but he's playing into a well-documented Hollywood stereotype/male fantasy.

can you name one movie in which a truly HOT, upwardly mobile, climbing the ladder quickly guy unintentionally impregnates a homely, overweight, slightly obnoxious yet underneath-it-all sweet woman and sees her through the pregnancy and even hangs around to help rear their "love child"? 

And still Saltine's challenge goes unanswered . . .

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »
can you name one movie in which a truly HOT, upwardly mobile, climbing the ladder quickly guy unintentionally impregnates a homely, overweight, slightly obnoxious yet underneath-it-all sweet woman and sees her through the pregnancy and even hangs around to help rear their "love child"? 

Hoop Dreams?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2008, 06:24:43 PM »
And he's certainly mismatched with Catherine Hegel on the attractiveness scale, don't you think?)

Not really.  These things are subjective.

Find me one woman who thinks Seth Rogan is truly hot.

Hoop Dreams?

pixote

I imagine you could find some real life examples.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »
Clearly:  the loser (male) wins the winner (female).  Yes, this makes the film sexist.  I have other issues with Apatow's scripts also, but this portrait of the male/female relationship annoys me the most.

So you'd say that Pretty Woman is sexist against men?

My premise is that Apatow (not Garry Marshall) is a sexist based on the films he makes and the films he associates himself with. 
Texan Down Under

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
He's probably just a bit nerdish, in a harmless way.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »
I think this sexist argument went downhill when the emphasis went onto the "hotness" of each character. It's funny, the degrees of success and attractiveness seem to be the only issues discussed, when neither of the characters' endearing personality traits are even touched on. I understand and appreciate everyone's input into this fruitful debate; however, I think we need to step back and realize we're labeling a story of an unlikely relationship which, at the center, is about overcoming differences through falling in love and accepting responsibilities, as "sexist" and "inappropriate." Honestly, if we really wanted to get all hot and bothered over sexism in film, we could easily look elsewhere.  :P

P.S. Sorry I wasn't around to pitch in, I was out all day getting my dog checked up at the vet.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 07:49:34 PM by Solid Blake »

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »
P.S. Sorry I wasn't around to pitch in, I was out all day getting my dog checked up at the vet.
Make sure to post the results of all that somewhere else.

As for hotness, it can't be discarded because it is a significant point of plot and humor for the movie. Much of the jokes pivot on how desirable in every way Heigl is and how undesirable in every way Rogan is. Unless you can make the argument that neither character is interested in physical attraction, it's unavoidable. Hotness, while subjective in real life, can be codified on film simply by positioning a character as hot by consensus of the rest of the characters or simply by plot device/genre convention. Again, unless you're ready to contend these things don't happen in relation to Heigl and in opposition to Rogan, they can't be discounted.

But I reiterate, post about your pup somewhere.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

love