Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643206 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #380 on: May 22, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »
Since I'm new here, I'd like to get a couple of these off my chest in the interest of full disclosure.

- From the few films of his that I've seen, I think John Ford is overrated.  And from the many films of his that I've seen, I think Robert Altman is overrated.  In both cases, I think their great gift to cinema was having served as an inspiration to a great many directors that have made better films than theirs.

- AI: Artificial Intelligence is in my top 50 favorite films of the 2000s and is possibly my favorite Spielberg film since Last Crusade.

- Pootie Tang is legitimately brilliant.

- Firefly/Serenity is really just a watered-down mash-up of every sci-fi movie you've ever seen and so cannot be seriously considered to be one of the best sci-fi films ever.

Wow. A.I. as one of your top 50 best since 2000 and the best Spielberg film since The Last Crusade? Those are two rather bold statements there. Although I think Spielberg started with a strong idea, the final product felt rather watered down for me.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #381 on: May 22, 2008, 01:22:19 AM »
Since I'm new here, I'd like to get a couple of these off my chest in the interest of full disclosure.

- From the few films of his that I've seen, I think John Ford is overrated.

see more. he is one of the greatest american directors.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #382 on: May 22, 2008, 05:34:04 AM »

Wow. A.I. as one of your top 50 best since 2000 and the best Spielberg film since The Last Crusade? Those are two rather bold statements there.

I would agree with the first statement, but love Jurassic Park too much to agree with the second.

Valentine McKee

• Nobody does it better
    • My music vid
« Reply #383 on: May 22, 2008, 05:35:14 AM »
Shane is not one of the great westerns.
The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #384 on: May 22, 2008, 08:53:22 AM »

Thank you. No really, thank you. The movie buffs at my work look at me crooked when I say that. Now I know that damn movie hasn't hipnotized eveyerone into thinking it's great.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

arcnyc

« Reply #385 on: May 22, 2008, 08:55:49 AM »

- From the few films of his that I've seen, I think John Ford is overrated.

see more. he is one of the greatest american directors.

I'll take any recommendations as I do feel a sense of shame about this.  I've only seen Stagecoach, The Searchers, and Liberty Valance and none of them clicked for me.  I'm more of a revisionist western fan than a classic western fan and I would have liked Liberty Valance if not for the spoilerful description on netflix that gives away the entire ending.

Valentine McKee

• Nobody does it better
    • My music vid
« Reply #386 on: May 22, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »

Thank you. No really, thank you. The movie buffs at my work look at me crooked when I say that. Now I know that damn movie hasn't hipnotized eveyerone into thinking it's great.

Your welcome. It's a good movie, but like I say, Shane would only ever be a hero in my eyes if he shot at the kid and scared him off for the duration of the film, then I might be able to cope with it.

nougatmachine

« Reply #387 on: May 22, 2008, 11:25:42 AM »
Oh man. You guys just brought back from the dead the memory of that kid from Shane. Most annoying child's voice in the history of movies? We just may have a winner.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #388 on: May 22, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Oh man. You guys just brought back from the dead the memory of that kid from Shane. Most annoying child's voice in the history of movies? We just may have a winner.

I love these message boards even more every time someone posts comments like that. Darn that annoying kid.

-kid: Shane! Shane! I love you Shane!

-Shane: Shut up kid...

Valentine McKee

• Nobody does it better
    • My music vid
« Reply #389 on: May 22, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »
-kid: Shane! Shane! I love you Shane!

Shane - slumps over in saddle as loses will to live