Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 642932 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #410 on: May 26, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »
How sad for you.  :'(

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #411 on: May 26, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »
I saw the third one at the cinema, and was very entertained by it (though was flagging towards the end), liking the fighting elephants. Saw the first one on DVD on a big telly: incredibly boring.

I watched Fanny and Alexander in its intended TV installments, and it's really the best way to get the most enjoyment out of it. To call it 'horrible' is just provocative madness at work.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2008, 04:38:04 PM »
I hated the Fellowship, didn't watch Two Towers, and watched an hour of King before getting massively bored and leaving.

I had similar experience. The first one bored me to tears but I figured the problem was me so I gave the second one a chance and was again bored stiff. I never bother with the last film. 
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Valentine McKee

• Nobody does it better
    • My music vid
« Reply #413 on: May 26, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »
Oh if not liking LOTR is unpopular then count me in!

I figured I owed Pete Jackson for Braindead, which I never got a chance to see on the big screen. I was generally bored stiff except for the action scenes, which makes Return of the King a fun ol' trip.

Don't think I'll ever watch these again, even when I've flicked onto one on telly I soon find something better to do, like watch The Frighteners.
The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #414 on: May 26, 2008, 06:13:59 PM »
Do you all LOTR haters dislike the fantasy genre or just these particular movies? Just curious. (I have no particular interest in defending the movies, by the way, though I'd fight to the death over the books.  ;) )

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #415 on: May 26, 2008, 06:19:33 PM »
I don't hate LOTR; it just doesn't interest me.

I am weary of fantasy, but am not opposed to it as an entire genre. Case in point: Miyazaki.

Ronan

• Elite Member
« Reply #416 on: May 26, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »
Do you all LOTR haters dislike the fantasy genre or just these particular movies? Just curious. (I have no particular interest in defending the movies, by the way, though I'd fight to the death over the books.  ;) )

I preferred the films to the books. I've read them twice now, when I was 11 and about 4 years ago. I always thought there was too much time spent on the history and language of every single race or tribe. The Hobbit gets it just right and is his best book by some distance.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #417 on: May 26, 2008, 06:31:55 PM »

I preferred the films to the books. I've read them twice now, when I was 11 and about 4 years ago. I always thought there was too much time spent on the history and language of every single race or tribe. The Hobbit gets it just right and is his best book by some distance.

Wow, I have no conception of how it could be possible to like the films more than the books.  :)  I love The Hobbit, but I think it has less depth, fewer philosophical or mythic musings - it's just a smashingly fun adventure story, and it's the trilogy that I find myself reading over and over again, not The Hobbit. I'm fascinated by what Tolkien was attempting to do with the trilogy - not just write a story but create a myth that burst the boundaries of the books themselves.

roner

• Groovy
    • Boxwatcher
« Reply #418 on: May 26, 2008, 06:47:28 PM »

Bingo!  I love the story and characters but I hated the way Tolkien wrote them.  Plus how many pages of Sam and Frodo walking and eating Lembas bread do I need?  Randall was on the money in Clerks II about that part....

"No matter where you go, there you are."
                               -Buckaroo Banzai

www.boxwatcher.net
www.viewfromthecheapseatsonline.com
With Podcast!

Ronan

• Elite Member
« Reply #419 on: May 26, 2008, 06:51:07 PM »

Wow, I have no conception of how it could be possible to like the films more than the books.  :)  I love The Hobbit, but I think it has less depth, fewer philosophical or mythic musings - it's just a smashingly fun adventure story, and it's the trilogy that I find myself reading over and over again, not The Hobbit. I'm fascinated by what Tolkien was attempting to do with the trilogy - not just write a story but create a myth that burst the boundaries of the books themselves.

I understand. His ambition with the trilogy is staggering but he has too many ideas for the three books. A lot of them can seem tagged on and never fully fleshed out whereas I thought the Hobbit was just a better book even though I concede it does have far less depth than the trilogy. It just works better as a story. The trilogy introduced whole chapters just to get an idea across but they didn't always flow with the rhythm or the tone of the story. For instance I would have loved if he spent more time with the character Tom Bombadil but the story moves swiftly on. I think the three books are good but would have been a better six books.

love