love

Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643288 times)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #520 on: June 24, 2008, 03:40:37 PM »
I liked the first ten minutes but after the father dies, so does the movie.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:59:30 PM by winrit »
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Think_Long

« Reply #521 on: June 24, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »

No, I really believe it.  Farrell's Bullseye is a blast, especially compared to the unintentional comedy of the Green Goblin or Doc Oc. 

pixote

I'm just curious what the unintentional comic scenes were. I didn't notice them at the time, but then again I am one of those people who takes superhero movies way to seriously. death to emo spiderman.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #522 on: June 24, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »
I'm just curious what the unintentional comic scenes were.

The one that most stands out for me is the scene where the Green Goblin talks to himself in the mirror, and it's played like we're not supposed to know what's going on, even though it's obvious, and the dialogue is as awful as Dafoe's delivery of it.  I cringe at the thought of watching that scene again, but if it's on YouTube, I just might have to .... *checks* .... ehh, this is all I could find...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2lLdVwMgOtY

pixote
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:53:13 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Think_Long

« Reply #523 on: June 24, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »
oh that's a shame, I really like that scene. It's pretty hammy I guess, but then again so are comics. I thought the reason it was portrayed as such was not because we weren't supposed to know what was going on. Rather, Osborne had no real idea what was going on in his head.

or maybe i'm making that up? it's been awhile . . .

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #524 on: June 24, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »

The one that most stands out for me is the scene where the Green Goblin talks to himself in the mirror, and it's played like we're not supposed to know what's going on, even though it's obvious, and the dialogue is as awful as Dafoe's delivery of it. 

vs.

But I'm always able to overlook those things and have a great time.

I guess the real question has to do with the criteria for filtering out material that bothers you. Because I seem to remember Bullseye chewing up the scenery and spouting off bad dialogue in a way that puts Bobby Peru to shame.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #525 on: June 24, 2008, 04:16:53 PM »
I don't think it's a matter of criteria so much as whether the other material is good enough to eclipse the bothersome bits.  In the Spider-Man films, it's not.  The X-Men films just about break even.  And Daredevil, for me, stays in the black, enjoyment-wise.  Same with The Lord of the Rings movies.  Elf boy skateboarding on his shield is way annoying, sure, but the overall battle at Helms Deep or whatever it's called is cool enough that it's not a huge deal.

pixote
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:19:56 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Think_Long

« Reply #526 on: June 24, 2008, 04:21:13 PM »
hmmmmm.  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . There is no denying that you do indeed have some unusual opinions

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #527 on: June 24, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »
Alfred Molina's Doc Ock might be my favorite villian in a Marvel movie.

roner

• Groovy
    • Boxwatcher
« Reply #528 on: June 24, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »
I don't think it's a matter of criteria so much as whether the other material is good enough to eclipse the bothersome bits.  In the Spider-Man films, it's not.  The X-Men films just about break even.  And Daredevil, for me, stays in the black, enjoyment-wise.  Same with The Lord of the Rings movies.  Elf boy skateboarding on his shield is way annoying, sure, but the overall battle at Helms Deep or whatever it's called is cool enough that it's not a huge deal.

pixote

For me the jungle chase in Indy IV was cool enough I was not bothered by the "Tarzan" part, but even though I kind of liked it, nuke fridge came close to pushing the limits....
"No matter where you go, there you are."
                               -Buckaroo Banzai

www.boxwatcher.net
www.viewfromthecheapseatsonline.com
With Podcast!

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #529 on: June 24, 2008, 04:58:29 PM »
All the things that people didn't like about Indy IV (nuke fridge, gophers, tarzan, monkeys), I liked. The thing that drags that movie down is the unbelievably boring middle section.