Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643258 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #620 on: July 03, 2008, 12:44:36 AM »
S. Coppola is great at capturing looks, or a look, and milking emotional resonance out of it.  ScarJo in Lost in Translation and especially Kirsten Dunst in Marie Antoinette are great examples.  I can't stand Dunst in almost anything, but I thought she had the right look for the mood of MA.

PeaceLily

« Reply #621 on: July 03, 2008, 03:20:30 PM »
It's a few pages back now, but I'd like to third/fourth/whatever the "Hot Fuzz is better than Shaun" argument.  To be honest, I think part of it for me was that I really don't have a lot of love for zombie films at all, and while SotD was obviously a comedy first and a zombie film second (a zom-rom-com, in fact), it does ultimately fall into that genre.  If there had been less focus on the blank-eyed, flesh tearing gore gags, which got old for me very, very quickly, and more of the characters together exchanging Wright and Pegg's brilliant dialogue, then I probably would have liked it a lot more.  On the other hand I love buddy cop films, so maybe that particular UO comes down to the genres more than the films.

Anyway.

Also, Se7en is David Fincher's best film.  Not sure how unpopular that is, but it definitely doesn't seem to be the general consensus.  Similarly I think Reservoir Dogs is by far Tarantino's best, though I haven't seen Jackie Brown.

The Usual Suspects...is kind of overrated.  If I hadn't known that there was a Big Twist coming at the end it might have been better, because as it was I spent the entire film trying to guess which character was going to turn out to be Keyser Soze, and I narrowed it down to [insert spoiler here] largely because that was the only character that would be as much of a shock as I'd always heard the ending was.  Definitely a case where knowing as little as possible about the film going in is a plus.  But yeah, overrated.  Beyond that ending, it's kind of an average heist movie with some above-average performances.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #622 on: July 03, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »

Anyway.

Also, Se7en is David Fincher's best film.  Not sure how unpopular that is, but it definitely doesn't seem to be the general consensus.  Similarly I think Reservoir Dogs is by far Tarantino's best, though I haven't seen Jackie Brown.

I would say Se7en is Fincher's second best. Fight Club is my second favorite movie of all time, so it's hard to beat for me.

Also, Jackie Brown is my favorite QT movie, followed by Reservoir Dogs, so you aren't alone there.  ;)
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #623 on: July 03, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »
The Usual Suspects...is kind of overrated.  If I hadn't known that there was a Big Twist coming at the end it might have been better, because as it was I spent the entire film trying to guess which character was going to turn out to be Keyser Soze, and I narrowed it down to [insert spoiler here] largely because that was the only character that would be as much of a shock as I'd always heard the ending was.  Definitely a case where knowing as little as possible about the film going in is a plus.  But yeah, overrated.  Beyond that ending, it's kind of an average heist movie with some above-average performances.

I think it's definitely overrated. I think for people who were the right age when it came out, it had a real impact. But I caught up with it on video a few years later and didn't get the appeal.

The image of the coffee cup hitting the floor has not aged well; really corny.   
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Valentine McKee

• Nobody does it better
    • My music vid
« Reply #624 on: July 03, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »
TUS has not stood up to repeated viewings with me.

First time, sure, it was great, but it really is quite an empty film. It has nothing to say, and once you've been along for the ride once, you've seen all there is.

To be fair, that first time, it's a pretty good ride.
The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river.

enzobot24

« Reply #625 on: July 03, 2008, 08:09:03 PM »
Also, Se7en is David Fincher's best film.  Not sure how unpopular that is, but it definitely doesn't seem to be the general consensus.

Oh, I totally agree. Fight Club had great atmosphere but I really think Fincher was trying to prove himself after the disastrous Alien3. Se7en was fantastic and layered without pretentiousness.
Most recent DVD purchase: A Very Long Engagement
Most recent Blu-ray purchase: Paprika

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #626 on: July 03, 2008, 08:10:51 PM »
Se7en is for sure his best
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #627 on: July 03, 2008, 11:23:21 PM »
Also, Jackie Brown is my favorite QT movie, followed by Reservoir Dogs, so you aren't alone there.  ;)

HIGH FIVE! I'm the only person I know that loves that movie. When people complain about Tarantino's writing, I point them there since it's a really great adaptation of Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch. Plus Pam Grier is foxy as hell.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #628 on: July 04, 2008, 02:20:44 AM »
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is not a masterpiece and has some serious flaws.

duh.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #629 on: July 04, 2008, 12:01:21 PM »

HIGH FIVE! I'm the only person I know that loves that movie. When people complain about Tarantino's writing, I point them there since it's a really great adaptation of Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch. Plus Pam Grier is foxy as hell.

I desperately need to re-visit it, but I remember knowing Robert Forster's performance would be one of the best things I would ever see on screen. Excellent underrated movie.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd