Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 642979 times)

duder

• Elite Member
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #640 on: July 10, 2008, 02:47:55 AM »
MASH sucks.

Episodic sex comedy that boomers pass off as subversive.

Thank you!

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #641 on: July 10, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »

Anna Faris is amazing, and I'm so there to see House Bunny solely because of her. 

You mean you like the film because you fancy Anna Faris?

J5er

• Elite Member
  • "I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away"
« Reply #642 on: July 10, 2008, 04:13:31 PM »

Anna Faris is amazing, and I'm so there to see House Bunny solely because of her. 

You mean you like the film because you fancy Anna Faris?

I mean I'll give any movie a shot if Anna Faris is involved.  And I think she directed this one as well.
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

My Box Office Podcast: www.theboxofficers.blogspot.com

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #643 on: July 11, 2008, 08:30:13 AM »
MASH (1970, Altman) sucks.
I agree. And that's saying something because MASH the TV show is my favorite show.

arcnyc

« Reply #644 on: July 11, 2008, 08:47:43 AM »
MASH sucks.

Episodic sex comedy that boomers pass off as subversive.

Thank you!

So glad I'm not the only one.  I still don't get why Catch-22 lost the 1970 battle of the war comedies based on cult novels.  The TV show is a much greater accomplishment than the film.

And while we're on Altman, I think that Nashville - while a good film - has not aged particularly well and has been overshadowed by any number of ensemble films made since that were inspired by it.  If I was around in 1975 and saw it then, I would be one of those people that worships it.  But I think that even Short Cuts is a better film than Nashville.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #645 on: July 11, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
So glad I'm not the only one.  I still don't get why Catch-22 lost the 1970 battle of the war comedies based on cult novels.  The TV show is a much greater accomplishment than the film.

And while we're on Altman, I think that Nashville - while a good film - has not aged particularly well and has been overshadowed by any number of ensemble films made since that were inspired by it.  If I was around in 1975 and saw it then, I would be one of those people that worships it.  But I think that even Short Cuts is a better film than Nashville.

Nashville was a huge disappointment for me. Not just because of a its reputation, but its themes and subjects are right up my alley: music, politics, the 70s. What was with the car crash at the airport? I was cringing. 

I'm going to go a step further and hope the ceiling doesn't collapse over me head. I don't like Altman very much in general, and thinking back to Filmspotting #178, I would nominate him as the most overrated filmmaker in the history of cinema.

MASH is a dud, Nashville and Short Cuts are OKish, and the Player was completely boring other than the great opening and closing sequences. There I've said it.   
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #646 on: July 11, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
Time to add McCabe and Mrs. Miller to your queue.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #647 on: July 11, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »

pixote

Don't forget about The Long Goodbye...

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #648 on: July 11, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »
and Popeye  ;)
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #649 on: July 11, 2008, 01:40:58 PM »

pixote

Ugh. I was so bored by that movie.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

love