love

Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643023 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #800 on: August 18, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »
Here's a unpopular opinion, I don't think Citizen Caine is the greatest American movie ever. And does not deserve to be one on AFI's list. It should be Godfather. Yeah, I said it.

I agree and disagree. I don't think Citizen Kane should be #1, but I also don't think Godfather should be either. I actually think Godfather is more overrated than Citizen Kane.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Marbe

• Elite Member
« Reply #801 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »
Here's a unpopular opinion, I don't think Citizen Caine is the greatest American movie ever. And does not deserve to be one on AFI's list. It should be Godfather. Yeah, I said it.

I agree and disagree. I don't think Citizen Kane should be #1, but I also don't think Godfather should be either. I actually think Godfather is more overrated than Citizen Kane.

If not, then what? Godfather isn't my favorite movie. But I recognize that it has all of the best elements.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #802 on: August 18, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »
Apocalypse Now.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #803 on: August 18, 2008, 01:24:49 PM »
While I usually prefer not to make an a** of myself and shoot out statements that are too bold, I think that the number one movie on that list (in my opinion, based on what I like and what I think makes good cinema) would be a three way tie between The Maltese Falcon, Raging Bull and Schindler's List. I don't know which one I'd officially put at number one however.

Not to mention that I feel limited by the fact that this is an American movie list. There is so much international fare that I've seen that would trump much of the top 80.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #804 on: August 18, 2008, 01:26:24 PM »
While I usually prefer not to make an a** of myself and shoot out statements that are too bold, I think that the number one movie on that list (in my opinion, based on what I like and what I think makes good cinema) would be a three way tie between The Maltese Falcon, Raging Bull and Schindler's List. I don't know which one I'd officially put at number one however.

Not to mention that I feel limited by the fact that this is an American movie list. There is so much international fare that I've seen that would trump much of the top 80.

I like the Maltese Falcon choice.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #805 on: August 18, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »
It's an excellent, excellent film. The Best of its genre (noir, drama) and has always been been one of my all time favorites.
Kudos to your Apocalypse Now pick. Probably my favorite war related film. It's beautifully shot and crafted, but I wouldn't put in at number one.

I would suggest you watch Heart of Darkness, the documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now. It was a film I tangled with in the first round of the 90s bracket. It's also quite good.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #806 on: August 18, 2008, 01:40:44 PM »
I've seen Hearts of Darkness. It only makes me appreciate the film more. It's like the film was the perfect result of insanity. A film about insanity created be insanity. Perfect.

arcnyc

« Reply #807 on: August 18, 2008, 01:50:04 PM »
Apocalypse Now.

I'm gonna have to agree and disagree here.  Apocalypse Now has long been my pick for the Best American Film, however I don't know that I agree with dethroning Citizen Kane. 

The only reason people ever watch it at all anymore is because it's on the top of the list.  Take that away and we risk forgetting it forever.  It already bothers me that so many are so quick to dismiss it now as "not so great," which is bizarre and sad.  But I think it's a fine pick to keep there because I feel as if it's one that everyone can agree on.  Not too many people can successfully defend the statement: "Citizen Kane sucks."

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what's where on the list, so long as it points you towards the best films to check out.  And I fear that the kids will skip Kane if it's not shoved down their throats that it's the best ever.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #808 on: August 18, 2008, 01:51:16 PM »
Apocalypse Now.

I'm gonna have to agree and disagree here.  Apocalypse Now has long been my pick for the Best American Film, however I don't know that I agree with dethroning Citizen Kane. 

The only reason people ever watch it at all anymore is because it's on the top of the list.  Take that away and we risk forgetting it forever.  It already bothers me that so many are so quick to dismiss it now as "not so great," which is bizarre and sad.  But I think it's a fine pick to keep there because I feel as if it's one that everyone can agree on.  Not too many people can successfully defend the statement: "Citizen Kane sucks."

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what's where on the list, so long as it points you towards the best films to check out.  And I fear that the kids will skip Kane if it's not shoved down their throats that it's the best ever.

I can understand that point, but I still think Citizen Kane is easily in the top 10, so it's not too far down on the list.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #809 on: August 18, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
And I fear that the kids will skip Kane if it's not shoved down their throats that it's the best ever.

I fear the opposite: that it's been canonized for so long in that #1 spot that people only watch it out of a sense of duty (or when they're forced to).  It makes it hard for them to notice just how vibrant, exciting and alive the film really is.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

love