Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643019 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #960 on: August 31, 2008, 09:56:21 PM »
1.) I think Nicholas Cage get's unfair amount of hate. There is no denying the man has been in a lot of junk (Wickerman turned into the greatest accidental comedy of last year) however when he has a competent director and great script, I find him quite an engaging performer. Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation, Weatherman, Lord of War & Matchstick Men from the top of my head are all good to great performances. Shame his filmography is so inconsistent.

Agreement!
I think he's great as a badguy. But if they want me to feel sympathy towards him he fails to be sympathetic.

Sheepboy

« Reply #961 on: August 31, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »
I think he's great as a badguy. But if they want me to feel sympathy towards him he fails to be sympathetic.

I'm struggling to remember a film Cage was a straight up villain. I mean there was Face/Off which for the first half he was a villain and I guess he was quite an unsympathetic character in Lord of War and to a lesser degree Matchstick Men, but certainly nothing recently where I would claim he played a 'bad guy'.

I thought Weatherman in particular was a great role for him. This character that’s seen his home and personal life go down the gutter and is earnestly trying to rectify it, unfortunately putting his effort in the wrong places leading to a worse situation. Though from what I can understand he seems to be quite a polarising performer.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #962 on: September 01, 2008, 12:29:16 AM »
1.) I think Nicholas Cage get's unfair amount of hate. There is no denying the man has been in a lot of junk (Wickerman turned into the greatest accidental comedy of last year) however when he has a competent director and great script, I find him quite an engaging performer. Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation, Weatherman, Lord of War & Matchstick Men from the top of my head are all good to great performances. Shame his filmography is so inconsistent.

Agreement!

I almost always like him in comedies.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #963 on: September 01, 2008, 12:32:37 AM »

Agreement!

I almost always like him in comedies.
My favorite Cage comedies are Con Air and Face/Off. Oh, and that 3 min. Wicker Man montage that's on YouTube.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #964 on: September 04, 2008, 08:49:51 PM »
Zach Braff is a really great actor.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Think_Long

« Reply #965 on: September 05, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »
garden state is kind of a nice movie.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #966 on: September 05, 2008, 10:13:18 AM »

for a contrary opinion (yet to be completed)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Mandrake

• Elite Member
  • Do you pick your toes in Poughkeepsie?
    • Nat's Media Rap
« Reply #967 on: September 05, 2008, 10:24:04 AM »

for a contrary opinion (yet to be completed)

Wow, I will read your review, but were you on Meth at the time?  ;)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 05, 2008, 03:19:56 PM »

I thought it was a great movie.  Portman made that movie for me.  With her cute smile, dazzling personality, and her blah-blah-blah-ah! 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #969 on: September 05, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
I hate her for pushing the Shins down my throat.

Hate her.
Hey, nice marmot!