Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643216 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #1170 on: January 14, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »
I think schindlers list is overrated. And satr wars. And i despise mean girls.

Star Wars I'm less a fan of, although I would defend in for its use of special effects. Very impressive in 1977, in addition to the fact that it spawned a few Lucas companies that specialize in effects today.

yah thats probs my feeling on it. the fifth one is pretty good but i wasn't taken with the story.

A long, long time ago, in a theater far, far away this filmspotter was 11. I can forgive the horrendous dialogue and the cliched plot because that film swept me away to distant galaxies and showed me the awesome power of film.
I can still remember sitting there as those huge words scrolled across the screen, realizing that film was so more than just sitting in the dark watching a movie.
I have been chasing that feeling ever since.

Good Hunting.

May I suggest The Spy Who Loved Me?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1171 on: January 14, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
Try as you  might - Hellboy II will never be regarded in the same manner as Star Wars.
Say what you want about the film (you are obviously too young to appreciate it's importance) but it is a landmark, ground breaking piece of work.
Yes, it has flaws but it still has historical value that Del Toro has yet to achieve.

Not to mention he's just plain wrong and Star Wars has one of the best constructed stories in film. It's simple, mythical and it's so much damn fun to watch.

The hampster speaks the truth.  Star Wars is taught in screenwriting classes.  Del Toro is not. (This may have lead to the post-millenial uber-ego of one George Lucas though.)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #1172 on: January 14, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »
Try as you  might - Hellboy II will never be regarded in the same manner as Star Wars.
Say what you want about the film (you are obviously too young to appreciate it's importance) but it is a landmark, ground breaking piece of work.
Yes, it has flaws but it still has historical value that Del Toro has yet to achieve.

Eh, not to be dismissive or anything, but I've never much cared for the historical value or cultural impact argument. I watch movies for me, not the value the place the end up taking in history or how much of an impact they have on society.

*swallows pride*
I think if it weren't for Star Wars, I'm uncertain you'd have the option of going goo goo ga ga over Guillermo Del Toro today.

*exhale*
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1173 on: January 14, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »

Eh, not to be dismissive or anything, but I've never much cared for the historical value or cultural impact argument. I watch movies for me, not the value the place the end up taking in history or how much of an impact they have on society.

My personal taste in film differs from what I consider important pieces of work. But to appreciate the art as a whole, one NEEDS to appreciate historical and cultural impact of a film. That doesn't mean you have to like it but you cannot deny zeitgeist.

There's a difference to me between knowing that a film has a place in history and actually caring about a films place in history. I'm in the latter, I know that SW has a place in history, I just don't care or feel it has any bearing on how I look at film.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #1174 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »
Putting aside that Star Wars is the film most responsible for moviemaking as we know it today (because while needing to be acknowledged, I agree should not impact how it is considered as a movie), it remains one of the best examples of pure, fun storytelling. It immerses you in a universe so detailed and imaginative, and presents you with a classic and epic story of good vs. evil. What could be better?

I like Del Toro, but I consider Hellboy to be like a side project for him. Something he does to pay the bills between his real films. :-*

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #1175 on: January 14, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »
Something he does to pay the bills between his real films. :-*

Blade 2!

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1176 on: January 14, 2009, 01:29:15 PM »
Putting aside that Star Wars is the film most responsible for moviemaking as we know it today (because while needing to be acknowledged, I agree should not impact how it is considered as a movie), it remains one of the best examples of pure, fun storytelling. It immerses you in a universe so detailed and imaginative, and presents you with a classic and epic story of good vs. evil. What could be better?

Any number of movies that aren't boring, full of bad acting, terrible choreography, too dense of a plot, bad dialogue, etc.. :)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1177 on: January 14, 2009, 01:30:14 PM »
I know that Star Wars is important. This does not mean that I need to like it as a film. Since the story is so simplistic and all that jazz it becomes boring. The special effects were good and I know that everything we see today is influenced somehow by Star Wars. But I like the new stuff better.

Del Toro can tell a good story (Pan's, Backbone, Hellboy (2)). It's funny that one can praise Star Wars for being simplistic and then rag on Del Toro's work. Also, Del Toro himself has stated that with Hellboy II he has combined his "real" work with his "money" work and he is very happy with the result.

If there is one thing that I can leave you with on this argument, let it be this: Star Wars is boring, Del Toro is a god.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1178 on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »
Also, I think I enjoy the fantasy of Del Toro's films over the fantasy of Star Wars. You cannot deny that Star Wars pales in the looks department to most Del Toro stuff.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #1179 on: January 14, 2009, 01:33:53 PM »
Also, I think I enjoy the fantasy of Del Toro's films over the fantasy of Star Wars. You cannot deny that Star Wars pales in the looks department to most Del Toro stuff.

Gee, I'd hope there's been some advancement in 30 years.

love