Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 314858 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #2520 on: August 14, 2009, 12:59:03 PM »

That's...odd. Not everything that is appropriate for kids is automatically a "kids movie", I guess if you can't get into those you can't, but it seems like a pretty limiting bias.

Plus, Star Wars has a huge body count and incest.

Good point, and I agree. I guess I just cant think of any movies that are primarily aimed at children that I love.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2521 on: August 14, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »
To defend "kids" movies, I'll quote a recent review from Ebert...

“Ponyo” one of the very rare movies where I want to sit in the front row, to drown in it. This is more than “artistry.” It is art.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #2522 on: August 14, 2009, 12:59:27 PM »
Plus, Star Wars has a huge body count and incest.
It's not incest if there are no fluids exchanged.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2523 on: August 14, 2009, 01:00:19 PM »
I can't believe I voted that I trust your opinion.

In other things we agree.

I really did love the first 30min. It just went so far downhill after that.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #2524 on: August 14, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »
My favorite movies are about love, sex, violence, etc. Things that never play a role in "kids" movies.

You just aren't watching the right ones  ;).

I would say that Up is one of the most beautiful films about the nature of love and loss in recent memory. Finding Nemo similarly is all about the nature of familial love and the urged to protect love ones to their detriment. Those are complex themes and it's unfortunate you can't appreciate the films enough.

Ok you are going to get me in trouble again but.....

The first 30 minutes of UP were amazing, the rest was really pretty terrible! If the whole movie was like the first 30 min it would be in my top of year but then it turns into a silly and boring kids adventure movie with talking dogs and other crap.

Flame away!

What about something like Grave of the Fireflies that is animated, but clearly isn't a "kids" movie.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2525 on: August 14, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »
We have a new Armond White!

It's that controversial to not like kids movies?

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2526 on: August 14, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
My favorite movies are about love, sex, violence, etc. Things that never play a role in "kids" movies.

I would say that Up is one of the most beautiful films about the nature of love and loss in recent memory. Finding Nemo similarly is all about the nature of familial love and the urged to protect love ones to their detriment. Those are complex themes and it's unfortunate you can't appreciate the films enough.

The first 30 minutes of UP were amazing, the rest was really pretty terrible! If the whole movie was like the first 30 min it would be in my top of year but then it turns into a silly and boring kids adventure movie with talking dogs and other crap.

Flame away!

What about something like Grave of the Fireflies that is animated, but clearly isn't a "kids" movie.

That is the only exception. I loved that movie and the animation did not affect me, however, it is not a kids movie in any way. The themes are all adult.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #2527 on: August 14, 2009, 01:04:34 PM »
For me, Firefly is hundreds of times more interesting and better written Sci-fi.
Firefly is sooo overrated. Everything else Joss Whedon has done is better.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #2528 on: August 14, 2009, 01:05:39 PM »

Flame away!

That is the only exception. I loved that movie and the animation did not affect me, however, it is not a kids movie in any way. The themes are all adult.

Right, but you kinda lumped all animation together at one point.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2529 on: August 14, 2009, 01:08:07 PM »

Right, but you kinda lumped all animation together at one point.

I did, and I was thinking of Grave as an exception when I did. I have not seen any other animated movie that I loved. However, I have not seen that much anime which might change my mind about saying "all animation". I have seen mostly disney/pixar animation which is the stuff I dont really like that much.