love

Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 643096 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #2870 on: September 25, 2009, 05:50:01 PM »
[REC] is not a good film, not a good horror film and not original in the slightest.  Also the acting is as bad as anything staring Paris Hilton.  It does have a couple of decent scares though.

Yep that is a pretty silly statement.

I have a theory that people appreciate foreign films more because they just don't get that the acting is bad in the same way some don't get what bad voice acting is.  Also that since they don’t live in the culture they cannot appreciate that aspect of the film which someone who does live in that culture would see as self righteous or at the least pandering and one dimensional.

I've sometimes wondered that myself. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple non-English language films (excluding French language ones) that, in my opinion, were shite but were surprisinly well received by a bunch of people.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #2871 on: September 25, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
[REC] is not a good film, not a good horror film and not original in the slightest.  Also the acting is as bad as anything staring Paris Hilton.  It does have a couple of decent scares though.

Yep that is a pretty silly statement.

I have a theory that people appreciate foreign films more because they just don't get that the acting is bad in the same way some don't get what bad voice acting is.  Also that since they don’t live in the culture they cannot appreciate that aspect of the film which someone who does live in that culture would see as self righteous or at the least pandering and one dimensional.

I've sometimes wondered that myself. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple non-English language films (excluding French language ones) that, in my opinion, were shite but were surprisinly well received by a bunch of people.

I don't find it tough to judge the acting in a foreign language film, maybe that's just me though. It's similar to voice acting, or nay kind of acting really, I look for the same things I would in English acting. Don't think I worded that right, but my point is I've never had any problems judging foreign acting, but I may be in the minority on that.  :-\

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #2872 on: September 25, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »
Yeah a foreign language doesn't impact my ability to judge acting. Dubbing is another story - everyone looks (and sounds) terrible by comparison.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2873 on: September 25, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
 ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #2874 on: September 25, 2009, 09:10:37 PM »
Yeah a foreign language doesn't impact my ability to judge acting. Dubbing is another story - everyone looks (and sounds) terrible by comparison.

Yeah, dubbing is trash.

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #2875 on: September 25, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »

Yeah, dubbing is trash.
The reason I haven't seen Ponyo yet!

flieger

« Reply #2876 on: September 25, 2009, 10:12:24 PM »
Remember though, Miyazaki himself has said that he doesn't have a problem with dubbing, 'cos animation is already dubbed from the get-go...

flieger

« Reply #2877 on: September 25, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »
... and some dubbing is actually better than the original. I'm looking at you Astro Boy, and Neon Genesis Evangelion.  ;)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #2878 on: September 25, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »
I'd agree on Evangelion. I watched a bunch of episodes in English and it was just fine.

Abomination

• Elite Member
« Reply #2879 on: September 26, 2009, 01:09:29 PM »
Here's one I'm gonna get yelled at for:

Children of Men sucked

love