Author Topic: Unpopular Movie Opinions (2008 - 2010)  (Read 326643 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions
« Reply #3430 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »
My mom sure likes him.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #3431 on: November 16, 2009, 11:14:32 AM »
I like your mom. (Probably not an unpopular movie opinion, unless she's Kevin Costner.)

I understand everything anyone ever says about Costner. He recites his lines like he's reading cue cards. He appears dead inside. He is wooden. He adds absolutely nothing to any scene he's in. He's worse than vanilla; he's tofu.

For whatever reason, I don't care. I like him. He does it for me. He tickles my taint, especially now that he's grizzled and paunchy and even more boring than he ever was.

Does that mean I want to sleep with him? No. But I do want be his best friend.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #3432 on: November 16, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »
Similarly, I like Mission: Impossible, the first movie. J and I just watched it last night, and throughout Jerry kept going, "This is so ridiculous. Why is the dialogue so heavy-handed?" (There is consistent "dialogue as exposition" problem throughout. Characters never talk to each other; they're constantly explaining stuff to the audience.)

I was like, "I don't care. Look at Cruise. He's so INTENSE!!!! Don't you just love that?"

Mission: Impossible, in my mind, was when people just started realizing that Cruise's two facial expressions were either clenched jaw or unclenched jaw. He still seemed boyishly giddy to be an action star. There are times, during the action sequences, that he seems genuinely surprised, like he isn't entirely in control of the situation.

The iconic hanging-from-the ceiling set-piece? Yes, it's mockable. Yes, it's ridiculously contrived. Yes, it is overwrought.

However, before last night, I didn't remember anything special about the sound design. I forgot how the silence of that scene enhances the suspense. How his acrobatics are accompanied by whispers. How feminine and delicate he looks hanging from his little trapeze.

Anyway. I liked it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:34:29 AM by alexarch »

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #3433 on: November 16, 2009, 11:54:13 AM »
My wife fell in love with Kevin Costner from No Way Out on so i have seen a number of his movies. I agree he is not the rangiest actor to ever seak a line but I am a baseball freak and he played one of my favorite baseball movie characters, Crash Davis. for that i have always given him a pass. Until the Postman. I remember watching that movie and thinking,"I am witnessing the end of this guys prime." to make a baseball analogy, he is now like a pitcher who has lost his fastball. you can trot him out there and he can be entertaining but the days of "We have to have Costner in this role!!!!" are over.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #3434 on: November 16, 2009, 12:01:32 PM »
My wife fell in love with Kevin Costner from No Way Out...

Is this the same movie where you fell in love with Sean Young?
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #3435 on: November 16, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »
Similarly, I like Mission: Impossible, the first movie. J and I just watched it last night, and throughout Jerry kept going, "This is so ridiculous. Why is the dialogue so heavy-handed?" (There is consistent "dialogue as exposition" problem throughout. Characters never talk to each other; they're constantly explaining stuff to the audience.)

I was like, "I don't care. Look at Cruise. He's so INTENSE!!!! Don't you just love that?"

Mission: Impossible, in my mind, was when people just started realizing that Cruise's two facial expressions were either clenched jaw or unclenched jaw. He still seemed boyishly giddy to be an action star. There are times, during the action sequences, that he seems genuinely surprised, like he isn't entirely in control of the situation.

The iconic hanging-from-the ceiling set-piece? Yes, it's mockable. Yes, it's ridiculously contrived. Yes, it is overwrought.

However, before last night, I didn't remember anything special about the sound design. I forgot how the silence of that scene enhances the suspense. How his acrobatics are accompanied by whispers. How feminine and delicate he looks hanging from his little trapeze.

Anyway. I liked it.

I'm with you on Tom Cruise .   

I find it a bit ironic how many people I know hate him for his recent "antics".  It's to assume your other favorites actors aren't doing lines of coke off the back of a strippers right now...
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #3436 on: November 16, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
I like your mom. (Probably not an unpopular movie opinion, unless she's Kevin Costner.)

I understand everything anyone ever says about Costner. He recites his lines like he's reading cue cards. He appears dead inside. He is wooden. He adds absolutely nothing to any scene he's in. He's worse than vanilla; he's tofu.

For whatever reason, I don't care. I like him. He does it for me. He tickles my taint, especially now that he's grizzled and paunchy and even more boring than he ever was.

Does that mean I want to sleep with him? No. But I do want be his best friend.

Aw, man!  I love tofu! 

I really, really liked Costner in Silverado.  Yeah... I'd have slept with him then.  I liked him during the first half of Dances With Wolves, but... By the second half of that movie I was a bit skeptical of him.  How many times does Costner pass out in that movie?  Too self-indulgent.   And I liked him in Robin Hood.  I truly did.

I think it was Wyatt Earp that did me in.   :P

I could probably watch him again though, in the right movie.
The answers you seek are in Norway.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #3437 on: November 16, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »
Costner is hella great in Open Range.

Totally!  Extremely underrated film. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #3438 on: November 16, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »
and lately I find myself actively avoiding him 'cause that Jeff Bridges thing he does in most of his movies kind of gets on my nerves.
Is this thing a certain way/rhythm of speaking, gestures, and facial expressions?
Some combination of all of those I guess, I just feel like he has a shtick that he goes to all the time and to me it often feels smug. I don't hate him or anything, it just struck me in Adam and Matty's review of Goats when they said he's reason enough for them to see a movie.

You must see Stick It! I think it is the finest portrayal of a gymnastics coach ever captured on film.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #3439 on: November 16, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
Costner is hella great in Open Range.
Isn't that Postman without the apocalypse?
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

love