love

Poll

How should we handle Orlando and Forrest Gump?

Screw FG, keep Orlando
5 (23.8%)
Orlando isn't American, Forrest Gump!
16 (76.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: 1990s US Bracket New Film Ballots  (Read 35664 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 1990s Bracket New Film Ballots
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2008, 03:32:39 AM »
Did you by chance see Menace II Society before you saw Boyz n the Hood?  I always thought Menace was marred by an oversimiliarity to the earlier film.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2008, 03:35:25 AM »
Nope, saw them as they came out.  I think Menace is a response to the oversimplification of Boyz.

Plus, the Hughes Brothers share my birthday.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2008, 08:59:06 AM »
There was so little overlap between the films people put as their first choice, that there was no room left for the second choices.  Bringing Out the Dead was one of eight films to receive two combined votes — neither of which were first place votes.  None of those eight made the cut.  (The others were Bound, Flirting with Disaster, Go, Henry Fool, Independence Day, Reversal of Fortune, and The Crow).

Incidentally, Forrest Gump received five combined votes, but none of those were first place votes, leaving it the last film out (at least for now).

pixote

I didn't pick it as first?

I must have been back on crack.

I checked - did too pick it as one to fight for.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:01:59 AM by St. Martin the Bald »
Hey, nice marmot!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2008, 09:59:51 AM »
I double-checked to be sure, and you didn't include Bringing Out the Dead on your final ballot.  Your three films to try to save were, in order, Eyes Wide Shut, Contact, and Bound.  Two of those got in, since Contact was someone else's first choice.  Seven people only ended up with one of their choices making it in, so it worked out better for you than for some.

As for the original ballots, you and one other person did indeed list Bringing Out the Dead as a film to fight for; however, there were just enough votes against the film to offset that.  As a result, it became one of the bubble films that needed a 1st place vote on the second ballot to make the cut.  The same is true of Tremors, Dances With Wolves, Go, Bound, Scream, There's Something About Mary, Carlito's Way, The Green Mile, Flirting with Disaster, Henry Fool, and King of the Hill (one of my own films to fight for, now deceased).

pixote
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:02:52 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2008, 10:27:40 AM »
That's 14 for nullifying Orlando and putting Forrest Gump and Dead Man back in. That's a majority (based on our ballot numbers) and I'm calling it a decision. Orlando has been corrected and Forrest Gump is back to life.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »
more importantly Dead Man is as well!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »
I double-checked to be sure, and you didn't include Bringing Out the Dead on your final ballot.  Your three films to try to save were, in order, Eyes Wide Shut, Contact, and Bound.  Two of those got in, since Contact was someone else's first choice.  Seven people only ended up with one of their choices making it in, so it worked out better for you than for some.

As for the original ballots, you and one other person did indeed list Bringing Out the Dead as a film to fight for; however, there were just enough votes against the film to offset that.  As a result, it became one of the bubble films that needed a 1st place vote on the second ballot to make the cut.  The same is true of Tremors, Dances With Wolves, Go, Bound, Scream, There's Something About Mary, Carlito's Way, The Green Mile, Flirting with Disaster, Henry Fool, and King of the Hill (one of my own films to fight for, now deceased).

pixote

I wasn't complaing pix - just talking to myself out loud...and you're right - I wasn't thinking of the final ballot. I thought there would have been more love for that film and so moved to protect some other "dark horsey" films...c'est la vie...
Hey, nice marmot!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2008, 10:46:17 AM »
That's 14 for nullifying Orlando and putting Forrest Gump and Dead Man back in. That's a majority (based on our ballot numbers) and I'm calling it a decision. Orlando has been corrected and Forrest Gump is back to life.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Hey, nice marmot!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2008, 10:51:21 AM »
I wasn't complaing pix - just talking to myself out loud...and you're right - I wasn't thinking of the final ballot. I thought there would have been more love for that film and so moved to protect some other "dark horsey" films...c'est la vie...

It's okay, I'll complain for both of us...

This is a sham!  Forrest Gump over Bringing Out the Dead?!  Forrest Gump over King of the Hill?!  I mean, what's the point now?  :D

pixote

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2008, 11:11:26 AM »
Forrest Gump just forrest gumped it's way back on the list. >:(
Hey, nice marmot!