Author Topic: 2008 Cannes Film Festival Line-Up  (Read 2167 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
2008 Cannes Film Festival Line-Up
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:59:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure, for anyone who cares about cinema, has heard the news.  I like the line-up this year.  Especially the films competing for the Palme D'or... we got Clint, Soderbergh, Charlie Kaufman, Atom Egoyan, Wim Wenders, Walters Salles, and the Dardenne Bros.  Here is the full-line up from Films in Competition, Out of Competition, Un Certain Regarde, & more. 

Films in competition

24 City (by Jia Zhangke, China)
Adoration (by Atom Egoyan, Canada)
Che (by Steven Soderbergh, United States)
Delta (by Kornel Mondruczo, Hungary)
Gomorra (by Matteo Garrone, Italy)
Il Divo (by Paolo Sorrentino, Italy)
La Mujer Sin Cabeza (by Lucrecia Martel, Argentina)
La Frontière de l'aube (by Philippe Garrel, France)
Le Silence de Lorna (by Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne, Belgium)
Leonera (by Pablo Trapero, Argentina)
Linha de Passe (by Walter Salles and Daniela Thomas, Brazil)
My Magic (by Eric Khoo, Singapore)
Serbis (by Brillante Mendoza, Philippines)
Synecdoche, New York (by Charlie Kaufman, United States)
Changeling (by Clint Eastwood, United States)
The Palermo Shooting (by Wim Wenders, Germany)
Un conte de Noël (by Arnaud Desplechin, France)
Waltz with Bashir (by Ari Folman, Israel)

Out of competition
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (by Steven Spielberg, US)
Kung Fu Panda (by John Stevenson and Mark Osborne, US)
The Good, the Bad, and the Weird (by Kim Jee-Woon, South Korea)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona (by Woody Allen, US-Spain)

Midnight screening
Maradona (by Emir Kusturica, Spain-France)
Surveillance (by Jennifer Chambers Lynch, US)
The Chaser (by Jin-ah Hong, South Korea)

Special screening
Ashes of Time Redux (by Wong Kar-Wai, China)
Of Time and the City (by Terence Davies, UK)
Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired (by Marina Zenovich, USA-UK)
Sangue Pazzo (by Marco Tullio Giordana, Italy-France)

Un certain regard
Afterschool, by Antonio Campos
De Ofrivilliga, by Robert Ostlund
Je veux voir, by Joana Hadjithomas and Khalil Joreige
Johnny Mad Dog, by Jean-Stephane Sauvaire
A Festa De Menina Morta, by Matheus Nachtergaele
La Vie moderne, by Raymond Depardon
Le Sel de la mer, by Annemarie Jacir
Los Bastardos, by Amat Escalante
O'Horten, by Bent Hamer
Parking, by Chung Mong-Hong
Soi Cowboy, by Thomas Clay
Tokyo, by Michel Gondry, Leos Carax and Bong Joon-ho
Tokyo Sonata, by Kiyoshi Kurosawa
Tulpan, by Sergeï Dvortsevoy
Tyson, by James Toback
Versailles, by Pierre Schoeller
Wendy and Lucy, by Kelly Reichardt
Wolke 9, by Andreas Dresen
Yi Ban Haishui, Yi Ban Huoyan, by Fendou Liu

Man, I would love to go.  Just to see all these movies and such. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: 2008 Cannes Film Festival Line-Up
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:11:18 AM »
I don't know if it measures up to last year, but there's some interesting stuff there.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:15:22 AM »
Ashes of Time Redux
What's that?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 02:18:20 AM »
imdb didn't have anything on it when I looked earlier today, but Wong's doing something with it.  I don't know if it's a recut or just a rerelease or what.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:22:21 AM »
Here's this from twitchfilm in November 2006:

.. a reworking of his martial arts piece Ashes of Time with Brigitte Lin, Maggie Cheung, Leslie Cheung and Tony Leung. One of WKW's more sought after titles, due at least in part to the complete lack of any acceptable DVD release anywhere in the world, there have long been rumors circulating that Wong was planning on revisiting the film, re-editing it for clarity as well as remastering and restoring it, with the assumption being that it would be a new edition primed for a DVD release. Well, the rumors are true but it looks as though the plans may be somewhat more significant than that with Fortissimo Films making the Ashes of Time - Redux a late addition to their AFM slate, meaning if they can find a buyer bold enough to do it this could very well see a fresh theatrical release as well.
Read on for the official announcement.
Hong Kong, November 2, 2006 – Fortissimo Films has announced it will be handling International Sales on Wong Kar Wai’s definitive version of his legendary martial arts epic, ASHES OF TIME. Tentatively titled ASHES OF TIME – REDUX, the film is now in post-production. In the twelve years since it was first released, the original film has achieved an almost legendary and mythic quality. At the time, taking nearly two years to shoot in the far west of China, with photography by Christopher Doyle and featuring a stellar roster of Asian super-stars, the film was barely seen outside of Asia.

ASHES OF TIME – REDUX will feature the biggest stars from Chinese cinema including the late Leslie Cheung (FAREWELL TO MY CONCUBINE, HAPPY TOGETHER), Brigitte Lin (CHUNGKING EXPRESS, THE BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR), Tony Leung Chiu-Wai (HERO, 2046), Jacky Cheung (PERHAPS LOVE, AS TEARS GO BY), Tony Leung Ka-Fai (THE LOVER, ELECTION), Charlie Yeung (SEVEN SWORDS, FALLEN ANGELS), with a special appearance by Maggie Cheung (CLEAN, IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE). The critically acclaimed original film was the recipient of the Golden Osella at the Venice Film Festival 1994 for Best Cinematography, and winner of the Best Film, Best Director, and Best Screenplay awards at the Hong Kong Film Critics' Society Awards.

SYNOPSIS: Set in ancient China, Ouyang Feng (Leslie Cheung) is a fallen swordsman driven by greed towards both friend and foe. He is afraid of love after having his heart broken by an affair gone wrong. He is a perpetual loner, but the bounty hunters that work for him, like “Blind Swordsman” (Tony Leung Chiu-Wai) and another of his best fighters, Hung Chi (Jacky Cheung), discover the intangible secret of true love while Ouyang retains his attitude towards his fighters and the precious lessons that they have taught.

On making the announcement Fortissimo’s Co-Chairman Michael J. Werner said, "We are thrilled and proud that director Wong Kar Wai has entrusted us with bringing the definitive version of this mythic and legendary gem of a film to the international marketplace. It's something that his fans have been waiting for for years, and when it is launched late next year, it will re-demonstrate Wong Kar Wai's deft hand as a masterful marital arts director.”

While director Wong Kar Wai himself added, "The original release of ASHES OF TIME marked the beginning of my long-standing partnership with Fortissimo Films. I'm very pleased to see our relationship come full circle with the release of my re-envisioning of the film. ASHES OF TIME is a film I am very proud of and I am excited to finally be able to present it in the manner it was originally conceived."

Fortissimo Films is an international film, television and video sales organization specializing in the production, presentation, promotion and distribution of unique, award winning and innovative feature films from independent film makers from all over the world. For more information, please see www.fortissimofilms.com.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 10:53:19 AM »
Sounds like a great year. I'm always excited when Charlie Kaufman and Atom Egoyan are doing something.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

.. a reworking of his martial arts piece Ashes of Time with Brigitte Lin, Maggie Cheung, Leslie Cheung and Tony Leung. One of WKW's more sought after titles, due at least in part to the complete lack of any acceptable DVD release anywhere in the world, there have long been rumors circulating that Wong was planning on revisiting the film, re-editing it for clarity as well as remastering and restoring it, with the assumption being that it would be a new edition primed for a DVD release. [...]
Interesting. I've never seen it, the reason being as stated in the text. Is there any need for "reediting for clarity"?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »
sounds like a good lineup, I love reading about Cannes
Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »
I am actually really looking forward to Maradona by Kusturica.  I love both the player and the director.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »

.. a reworking of his martial arts piece Ashes of Time with Brigitte Lin, Maggie Cheung, Leslie Cheung and Tony Leung. One of WKW's more sought after titles, due at least in part to the complete lack of any acceptable DVD release anywhere in the world, there have long been rumors circulating that Wong was planning on revisiting the film, re-editing it for clarity as well as remastering and restoring it, with the assumption being that it would be a new edition primed for a DVD release. [...]
Interesting. I've never seen it, the reason being as stated in the text. Is there any need for "reediting for clarity"?

I saw it a long time ago (it might have been on VHS), but while I wouldn't call it "clear" I don't know that reediting it is necessary, or even a good idea.  But I trust Wong.  Making the film was famously an ordeal for him, it doesn't surprise me that he's still working on it.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene