Author Topic: Kermode on Filmspotting  (Read 28035 times)

Lynch

• Administrator
  • Hot Java Love.
Re: Kermode on Filmspotting
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 12:25:45 AM »
I imagine having him on would be like having Robin Williams or Jim Carrey on Oprah, he's such a big personality that you could just feed him some top 5 lists and let him go for it. His over-the-top indignation is very entertaining.

Make sure you mention the "the death of narrative cinema..."

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 12:32:05 AM »
I imagine having him on would be like having Robin Williams or Jim Carrey on Oprah, he's such a big personality that you could just feed him some top 5 lists and let him go for it. His over-the-top indignation is very entertaining.

I prefer "the death of maritime cinema"
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

SloppyDog

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 05:51:49 AM »
Wow - my two fave film podcasts in one! 'twould be awesome.

Kermode's at his best when reviewing something he hates, so I'd just go with the biggest, dumbest summer movie of the year. Problem is, this year is not looking to be anywhere near as bad as last year - maybe Narnia?

Failing that, something with at least one of Irma Theakston, Orloonda Bland or Ikea Knightley in it... directed by Judd Apatuputupa

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 05:53:37 AM »

He's not a monster. He's more like Sam Hallgren in terms of personality size.

PeaceLily

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 05:56:06 AM »
Okay, this would be amazing.  AMAZING.

I think having him on for a top 5 would certainly be excellent.  The first thing that came into my head was a discussion of Pineapple Express, because if I remember correctly Kermode more or less abhors Apatow films (not sure about Knocked Up, but he definitely strongly disliked Superbad and Sarah Marshall) whereas you guys tend to be very favourable towards them, so I'm thinking the discussion would probably be an interesting one.  But it's probably too far into the future, and according to IMDB it doesn't come out here in the UK until September so altogether, probably not that feasible. 

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 07:19:22 AM »
I agree on a top 5, and a massacre theatre would be brilliant!  I have only recently started listening to Kermode (thanks to the folks here for the mention that led me there).  If it wasn't boring for you both and too meta, I would be interested in at least a little conversation about how you approach reviewing and maybe the sort of "baggage" or perspective or expectations you bring to a movie with you.

Valentine McKee

• Nobody does it better
    • My music vid
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 04:57:35 AM »
I'd like to add my name to the "wow" list when seeing this topic!
Like the best critics, and I include you Adam and Matty, his reviews are always entertaining (ok, wittitaining) even when I don't agree with him. It would be interesting to hear him talk about his attitudes to reviews, and what difference reviews actually make.

What (unfortunately) makes his podcast great is the running jokes (anyone impressed if I reveal I also went to the same school as Mark AND Jason Isaacs? :)) and love to wind up relationship he has with host Simon Mayo. I would still love to hear him mix with you guys, not often I see him with other critics.

Here goes....perfect reason to have him on the show.... to talk about films at the same time as you guys.... no worries about release dates....

A Film Festival

Just picture it, three guys, sipping mojitos on the sand, talking of falling standards in the summer blockbusters, and having Michael Bay tied up in a carpet, having kidnapped him during his awful 40-minute preview of Transformers 8. I love you guys.
The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river.

robbie richmond

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »
If you guys  do get kermode on can I suggest one of you holds him while the other one punches him repeatedly
whenever he  mentions any of the following....
the exorcist, friedkin, what a knob (in his opinion) john boorman is,  the woman he never met who grabbed his arm at a showing of the orphanage, "Sir Anthony Hopkins", that "hilarious" thing he does with actors names mentioned below,  ::) and for god sakes don't let him review any summer blockbusters...

Its not that I don't like him, its just that hes the only critic in the UK with any sort of  high(ish) profile and I'd like him to change the bloody record once in a while...

the best of luck to you both...

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 06:42:53 PM »
oh btw, can you guys ask him to tell the Harvey Kietel story?

robbie richmond

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 01:24:58 PM »
or the harvey weinstien one aswell.... :o