0 (0%)
BlacKkKlansman
1 (5.6%)
Da 5 Bloods
0 (0%)
American Utopia
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Lee, Spike  (Read 14971 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Directors Best Poll - Spike Lee
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 02:59:51 PM »
You can define the words that way if you like.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »
I, personally, don't see the difference between "Director's Best" and "favorite."

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »
This poll has the same problem so many polls here do. The title of this thread is "director's best", but the poll itself says "favorite". Those are totally different things. Do the Right Things is definitely Spike Lee's most important and influential film. But I'm not all that interested in owning a copy and watching it repeatedly. Other films of his are more (to me) enjoyable to watch.

I don't think that really matters in this particular case. I think people have been voting for whatever film they liked 'best', hence their 'favorite' They're meant to be somewhat synonymous  throughout these polls.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:13:15 PM by edgarchaput »
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
Spike Lee made ONE good film in his whole life.  Do the Right Thing.  The rest is either junk or racebaiting junk.  Malcolm X is one of those movies like Ghandi that everybody pretends to like because its 'important'.   I hated that film, and most of his other stuff.  Even Do the Right Thing is one of those movies that I like despite its nasty political tone, like Birth of a Nation.

He is a mediocre commercial director who is pretending he can make serious cinema.  Inside Man is him in his element, a fun Heist movie and nothing more.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:49:12 PM by zarodinu »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 06:55:40 PM »
Do The Right Thing is a great film because of its 'nasty political tone'. Without all that, it'd be some sentimental piece of shit.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 07:39:25 PM »
Its inseparable from the film, but it leaves an unpleasant feeling.  Overall the movie is much more Malcolm X than MLK.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 09:21:21 PM »
Spike Lee made ONE good film in his whole life.  Do the Right Thing.  The rest is either junk or racebaiting junk.  Malcolm X is one of those movies like Ghandi that everybody pretends to like because its 'important'.   I hated that film, and most of his other stuff.  Even Do the Right Thing is one of those movies that I like despite its nasty political tone, like Birth of a Nation.

He is a mediocre commercial director who is pretending he can make serious cinema.  Inside Man is him in his element, a fun Heist movie and nothing more.

It'S nice to see someone with strong opinions every once in while. It adds a bit of spice to the debate.  ;)

Having said that, I will have to defend Lee on this one. I think a lot of his movies have interesting characters. He often tries to tell somewhat familiar tales but through different eyes. Being one of the few well known African American filmmakers, race plays a essential role in many of his tales. He puts a different perspective on certain issues, opens up a new window. Is he successful on every occasion? No, no one is on the mark every time. But does his body of work hold some value? I would be inclined to think so.
So while you're perfectly entitled to call it 'junk or racebaiting junk', I'm going to politely disagree with you on that one.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 11:09:20 PM »
Having said that, I will have to defend Lee on this one. I think a lot of his movies have interesting characters. He often tries to tell somewhat familiar tales but through different eyes. Being one of the few well known African American filmmakers, race plays a essential role in many of his tales. He puts a different perspective on certain issues, opens up a new window.

See that is where I disagree with you.  I have no problem with being exposed to different perspectives or having my beliefs challenged by a film.  What Spike Lee does is not that though, he is race baiting.  He uses race as a tool to shock and offend, all his personal movies are about race and racism and all his mainstream movies have some distracting subplot about race.  His politics are stuck in the 1960's with one leg in a multicultural democracy and another in black supremacy and separatism.  I liked the way he showed that in DtRT, but he went from exploring the subject to exploiting it a long time ago.  No white filmaker with that kind of political sentiment would ever get work in Hollywood, Lee gets a free pass for the reason you mentioned.  Even the way he calls his movies joints is dishonest; he pretends to make 'black' movies byt here he is perpetuating a negative stereotype.

As for his body of work...   He made one good film.  Besides that one, his best films are 25th Hour and Inside Man BECAUSE those are not personal films.  The producers forced him to tone down the race baiting and make good films.  Hence I think that he is in his element when making mainsream films.

just my 2c 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:13:13 PM by zarodinu »

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 11:32:24 PM »
I don't recognize Spike Lee's films in any of the things you are saying.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 01:01:27 AM »
I don't recognize Spike Lee's films in any of the things you are saying.

How would you summarize the overall message of Do the Right Thing?  What does the hero (played by Spike) do in the end?  This is a nonspoiler forum so I will leave it at that.