Author Topic: The Criterion Collection  (Read 105968 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Re: The Criterion Collection
« Reply #1750 on: December 15, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
I'll probably upgrade Passion. One of four Criterions I still own while I hold out for a Bluray release.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #1751 on: January 01, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »

And of course I just bought a UK edition of the latest Kaurismäki...
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1752 on: January 01, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »
I'm excited about The Scarlet Empress. Can't imagine how good a Blu of that would look.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1753 on: Yesterday at 11:42:20 AM »
It's time again:

The Virgin Suicides - never seen it, it's probably worth watching but I doubt I'll get around to it. Pass.

The Color of Pomegranates - Seen it twice, I feel like that's enough. I'd rather it was Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, but even then I'm not sure I'd buy it. I find Parajanov very interesting, but he's not really one of my guys. Pass.

Dead Man - Even though I liked it more than I thought I would, no desire for a second viewing. Pass.

The Awful Truth - It's fine, but not a favorite by any means. Wake me when they released Holiday. Pass.

Ingrid Bergman's Swedish Years - Of course I read this as INGMAR at first and was excited but confused. Like, most of them were Swedish years. But no, it was Ingrid and I've seen none of these. And no thanks. Pass.

I think there may be fewer than 100 movies I'd pay money for at this point.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1754 on: Yesterday at 07:07:10 PM »
I only own one Criterion Collection BR so never really had a chance to compare them to the standard Blu-ray. Are they a much better presentation or is it more on extras that they may put in.

I love New World and Dead Man but have them both on Blu-ray, I just am not sure it would ever be worth the investment unless there was a lot of work done on the film.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1755 on: Yesterday at 10:50:46 PM »
My understanding is that they're usually better quality-wise than most of the major studios, but sometimes boutique studios in other regions do a better job with the same titles. I've never had a complaint but I'm not super technical about video quality (and I still use the TV speakers for audio).

Often their releases are stacked with extras, with a focus on scholarly analysis. Not always though... a lot of their releases are pretty barebones.

Criterion has become synonymous with "top of the line DVD/Blu-Ray release" which is not always warranted. There are a lot of studios doing great work but Criterion's name has gathered a lot of prestige because they've released a lot of the canonical heavy-hitters, and the spine numbers give them extra cachet with "gotta catch 'em all!" collector types.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1756 on: Yesterday at 11:21:14 PM »
My understanding is that they're usually better quality-wise than most of the major studios, but sometimes boutique studios in other regions do a better job with the same titles. I've never had a complaint but I'm not super technical about video quality (and I still use the TV speakers for audio).

Blasphemy

Criterion has become synonymous with "top of the line DVD/Blu-Ray release" which is not always warranted. There are a lot of studios doing great work but Criterion's name has gathered a lot of prestige because they've released a lot of the canonical heavy-hitters, and the spine numbers give them extra cachet with "gotta catch 'em all!" collector types.

I'm not the collector type or completist type. Will spare the double dip and only look out for something that I don't already have and really want it.

Thanks...
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love