Author Topic: The Criterion Collection  (Read 219740 times)

Wowser

• Elite Member
Re: Criterion's first BluRay
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 07:31:39 PM »
Criterion on Blue-Ray?

My mouth is watering. There DVDs are already very nice looking. Can they their Blue-Rays better than the more mainstream Blue-Rays? I doubt it, but the quality of the films are better than usual anyways.

Looking at the number of poor Blu-Ray transfers reviewed at DVD Beaver I imagine Criterion will be able to stand out.

Passage To India being a notable exception!

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »
Criterion on Blue-Ray?

My mouth is watering. There DVDs are already very nice looking. Can they their Blue-Rays better than the more mainstream Blue-Rays? I doubt it, but the quality of the films are better than usual anyways.

Looking at the number of poor Blu-Ray transfers reviewed at DVD Beaver I imagine Criterion will be able to stand out.

Passage To India being a notable exception!

I think we have to take into consideration the reasons behind the negative reviews of Blue-Rays. Are the films of low quality or is the actual picture and sound quality below expectations?

I read DVD reviews from DVD Verdict, DVD Town and IGN. All three typically acknowledge the high quality found in the picture/audio departments. What does vary are  reviews forthe films themselves.
To make Blue-Ray popular, studios have released the more mainstream products to get 'casual' movie lovers to start purchasing the new discs. Criterion comes in to provide high quality picture, sound, and most importantly, films.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

WallE

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »
You guys should really go to DVD Talk...

knowledgeable critiques and they take the time to explain if the transfer is good and all of that jazz.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 07:50:39 PM »
DVD Beaver is the best there is.  Undoubtedly.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »
Provided the price for that manchine drops. I'm into video games enough to spend that much money on it, even though I'm told it's a good product.

I hardly ever play video games, I don't regret my PS3 purchase at all.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

WallE

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 07:56:08 PM »
DVD Beaver is the best there is.  Undoubtedly.

As a resource maybe, but the reviews on DVD Talk are better, better structured, easier to find, easier to read.

Id say use both, when it comes to reviews, the more then merrier :)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »
Provided the price for that manchine drops. I'm into video games enough to spend that much money on it, even though I'm told it's a good product.

I keep hearing that actually.

Another factor that I thought of was the quality of one's tele. I do not have a 32+ inch plasma tele. Mine is only about 25 inch and very normal in status. I'm unsure as to whether having Blue-Ray discs spinning would really enhance my movie watching experience.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

WallE

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 08:02:55 PM »

I keep hearing that actually.

Another factor that I thought of was the quality of one's tele. I do not have a 32+ inch plasma tele. Mine is only about 25 inch and very normal in status. I'm unsure as to whether having Blue-Ray discs spinning would really enhance my movie watching experience.

It would, but not much until you get an HD TV

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »
Which creates another considerable expense. I will convert to Blue-Ray someday, just not today.

WallE

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »
Which creates another considerable expense. I will convert to Blue-Ray someday, just not today.

Yeah but my theory is upgrade the player now... then later upgrade the TV (or vice-versa)

That way its two decent sized expenses vs one giant one that might be further off.

love