love

Author Topic: The Criterion Collection  (Read 219736 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: The Criterion Collection
« Reply #1730 on: July 17, 2017, 10:17:52 PM »
Othello was announced a looooong time ago. Think maybe the release just got pushed back.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #1731 on: July 23, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
(Speaking of streaks, Wenders posted on FB about a Criterion release of the director's cut of Until the End of the World (1991) almost two years ago.  What happened?)

TCM is airing it tonight.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #1732 on: July 27, 2017, 06:20:35 PM »
Barnes & Noble sale, brick-n-mortar edition:

My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #1733 on: August 10, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »
Spine #900
https://www.criterion.com/films/29360-100-years-of-olympic-films
53 Olympic films.
Spanning fifty-three movies and forty-one editions of the Olympic Summer and Winter Games, this one-of-a-kind collection assembles, for the first time, a century’s worth of Olympic films—the culmination of a monumental, award-winning archival project encompassing dozens of new restorations by the International Olympic Committee. These documentaries cast a cinematic eye on some of the most iconic moments in the history of modern sports, spotlighting athletes who embody the Olympic motto of “Faster, Higher, Stronger”: Jesse Owens shattering sprinting world records on the track in 1936 Berlin, Jean Claude-Killy dominating the slopes of Grenoble in 1968, Joan Benoit breaking away to win the first-ever women’s marathon on the streets of Los Angeles in 1984. In addition to the work of Bud Greenspan, the man behind an impressive ten Olympic features, this stirring collective chronicle of triumph and defeat includes such landmarks of the documentary form as Leni Riefenstahl’s Olympia and Kon Ichikawa’s Tokyo Olympiad, along with lesser-known but captivating contributions by major directors like Claude Lelouch, Carlos Saura, and Miloš Forman. It also serves as a fascinating window onto the formal development of cinema itself, as well as the technological progress that has enabled the viewer, over the years, to get ever closer to the action. Traversing continents and decades, and reflecting as well the social, cultural, and political changes that have shaped our recent history, this remarkable marathon of films offers nothing less than a panorama of a hundred years of human endeavor.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1734 on: August 10, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
That looks really awesome and I would love to marathon that set someday, but I would never think about buying it. Ever.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1735 on: August 10, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »
Surprising no one, I'm stoked about the Olympia 4K transfer. Not sure I would ever watch all of these seeing as I'm not into sports.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1736 on: August 10, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
That looks really awesome and I would love to marathon that set someday, but I would never think about buying it. Ever.

Agreed. I'm not at all a sports guy, but Olympia and Tokyo Olympiad are both fantastic enough to make me curious about the others (especially the Saura). But buying it would be absurd for me. It seems unlikely that the public library would acquire this, so I guess I'll probably never see it. Which is probably just as well, because that's a whole lot of time to spend watching something I'm only "curious about".

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1737 on: August 17, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »
The Philadelphia Story - Last time I watched this I was pretty lukewarm on it, but that was 13 years ago. Maybe time for a fresh look. Possible rental.

Desert Hearts - Never seen it. Very mild interest, probably gonna skip it though.

Le Samourai - The entirety of my review from 2003: "Good flick, but not especially remarkable.  Rating: 7/10". Wow, Martin, compelling writing there. Still, I'm not especially interested in a revisit. Pass.

Jabberwocky - Haven't seen this in ages. Nothing I've read about it since has made me eager to see it again. Pass.

An easy month for me!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1738 on: October 17, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »
Oops, I skipped the December releases. Well, let's get those out of the way first:

Massive Olympics box - I'm not at all a sports guy but it does feel like it would be fun to take a couple of months to dig through this. Tokyo Olympiad and Reifenstahl's Olympia are both superb. Having said that, not a chance I'll buy, rent, stream or borrow this. Pass.

Election - A perfectly fine comedy that I have no interest in seeing again. Pass.

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival - I think they added a ton of stuff for this reissue, but I'm not at all interested. Pass.

General Idi Amin Dada - Probably one of the last movies in the Criterion Collection that I would've thought merited a Blu-Ray release. It's a decent doc, but who is buying this besides Criterion obsessives? Pass.

Okay, on to yesterday's announcements:

The Breakfast Club - I'm no Hughes fan and I have a lot of issues with this movie... but it was a pretty significant film in my youth, and the deleted scenes are enticing. I'm actually tempted by this one but I can't imagine buying it. Rental (maybe).

Young Mr. Lincoln - My third favorite by Ford, one of the few I actually like. Not enough to give it a second look, though. Pass.

Eclipse: Claude Autant-Lara - Holy shit, Eclipse is back! It's been two years since the last one. Out of these, I've only seen Douce, which was good but I'm not compelled to see any more. Pass.

Kameradschaft - It's okay. No interest in seeing it again. Pass

Westfront 1918 - I think the Martin of five years ago would have been excited to check this out, but now I can't work up any enthusiasm. Pass.

I, Daniel Blake - Not really a big Loach guy, have yet to hear anything about this that makes me want to see it. Pass.

Boy, being less obsessed/enthusiastic about movies sure has saved me a lot of money.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:35:06 AM by MartinTeller »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1739 on: October 17, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
I'm super excited about Westfront 1918!

pixote of five minutes ago
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love