love

Author Topic: The Criterion Collection  (Read 219892 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: The Criterion Collection
« Reply #1760 on: February 15, 2018, 10:45:05 PM »
May releases:

The Other Side of Hope - I'm a big Kaurismaki fan, but the reaction to this one has been pretty ho-hum. Rental, possible buy later.

Beyond the Hills and Graduation - I've only seen 4 Months... from Mungiu. I liked it quite a bit, and these are probably good movies, but I'm not dying to see them. Possible rental, but probably not.

Mishima and Au Hasard Balthazar - Both movies I really really like, bought on DVD, and later sold them because I'd seen them enough times. The old me would have bought these in a heartbeat, but the current me says pass.

Moonrise - One of my favorite noirs, and my favorite Borzage. Definite purchase.

Midnight Cowboy - A big get for Criterion, I imagine. Liked it, but far from a favorite. Pass.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1761 on: February 15, 2018, 10:47:49 PM »
Beyond the Hills and Graduation are definitely worth watching. I think I go Hills > 4 Months... > Grad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1762 on: February 15, 2018, 10:52:06 PM »
Super pumped for that Borzage. Seems like a barebones release, but I'll get it anyways. Maybe get even more from the 'zage in the future.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1763 on: February 26, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
Spine #900
https://www.criterion.com/films/29360-100-years-of-olympic-films
53 Olympic films.
Spanning fifty-three movies and forty-one editions of the Olympic Summer and Winter Games, this one-of-a-kind collection assembles, for the first time, a century’s worth of Olympic films—the culmination of a monumental, award-winning archival project encompassing dozens of new restorations by the International Olympic Committee. These documentaries cast a cinematic eye on some of the most iconic moments in the history of modern sports, spotlighting athletes who embody the Olympic motto of “Faster, Higher, Stronger”: Jesse Owens shattering sprinting world records on the track in 1936 Berlin, Jean Claude-Killy dominating the slopes of Grenoble in 1968, Joan Benoit breaking away to win the first-ever women’s marathon on the streets of Los Angeles in 1984. In addition to the work of Bud Greenspan, the man behind an impressive ten Olympic features, this stirring collective chronicle of triumph and defeat includes such landmarks of the documentary form as Leni Riefenstahl’s Olympia and Kon Ichikawa’s Tokyo Olympiad, along with lesser-known but captivating contributions by major directors like Claude Lelouch, Carlos Saura, and Miloš Forman. It also serves as a fascinating window onto the formal development of cinema itself, as well as the technological progress that has enabled the viewer, over the years, to get ever closer to the action. Traversing continents and decades, and reflecting as well the social, cultural, and political changes that have shaped our recent history, this remarkable marathon of films offers nothing less than a panorama of a hundred years of human endeavor.

That looks really awesome and I would love to marathon that set someday, but I would never think about buying it. Ever.

And yet, here we are, with Amzon offering the set at $200, which is much better than the $320 retail price. I am super tempted, but at the same time, it is a lot to pay for a Blu Ray set, even a rare one with 53 films an a large book to go along with it...
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1764 on: February 27, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »
I guess whenever B&N goes to 50% off, it would only be $175, so that would be the best deal.

Good talk, Corndog. Good talk.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1765 on: March 15, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »
June:

The Virgin Spring - doesn't look like they're adding anything new, but obviously I'm going to upgrade to Blu. Purchase.

Bowling for Columbine - I like this, but not nearly enough to see it again. In fact, not counting stuff in box sets and concert/performance films, I think I own one documentary (American Movie). I love watching them, but rarely rewatch them. Pass.

El Sur - It's okay, but it's my least favorite Erice. I wish it was Quince Tree of the Sun. Pass.

Female Trouble - One of my top three John Waters films (Hairspray is in my top 100, second favorite is Desperate Living) but do I like it enough to buy it? Maybe. Possible purchase.

Manila in the Claws of Light - Have to admit I've never heard of this one, but it doesn't sound like my kind of thing. Pass.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #1766 on: March 16, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
Anyone else a bit underwhelmed by the 2018 crop of Criterion releases?
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1767 on: March 16, 2018, 11:59:11 AM »
Nah, it seems like their pretty standard mix of Movies That Will Make Them A Ton Of Money, Canonical Bigshots, New Arthouse Stuff, and Never Heard Of It. So far this year I'm buying/have bought four titles (The Hero, An Actor's Revenge, The Virgin Spring, Elevator to the Gallows) which is pretty good for me these days. And there are several more I'm interested in.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #1768 on: March 16, 2018, 05:47:21 PM »
Manila in the Claws of Light - Have to admit I've never heard of this one, but it doesn't sound like my kind of thing. Pass.
It's really great. It's a little rough around the edges at times but it's a powerful film. I don't think current you who watches only a couple of movies a month should rush out to watch it, but I don't see any particular reason why you wouldn't like it.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1769 on: April 16, 2018, 11:17:05 PM »
July:

A Matter of Life and Death - one of my top 250, no-brainer for me. Purchase.

Bull Durham - I mean, I don't hate it or anything but it's definitely not something I ever need to see again. Pass.

sex lies and videotape - Maybe the first indie/arthouse movie I saw in a theater. But, I have no great affection for it. Pass.

Dragon Inn - Haven't seen it, except for what appears in Tsai's Goodbye Dragon Inn. Too bad they didn't release that one instead. Not terribly interested. Pass.

Dietrich & Von Sternberg in Hollywood - None of these (haven't seen Blonde Venus yet) are must-haves for me, but I liked them all. Pretty fond of Shanghai Express and Scarlet Empress. I dunno, I'm weirdly drawn to this set, but my rational side is telling me I'd regret buying it. Possible purchase?